Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Puppy School Stories?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    54

    Default Puppy School Stories?

    Hey everyone,

    I posted this on another forum as well as I'm interested in other people's experiences with puppy school. I have a 15 week old kelpie X and we've been to Puppy school the past 3 weeks and I've got to say I'm more than disappointed in it. I don't think it has done anything positive for Loeka except for making him (and me) EXTREMELY frustrated at being on a leash for an hour while the humans are being talked at by a trainer.

    To make a long story short:
    1. It's held at the vet's so we have 10 puppies and 20 adults plus kids in a cramped waiting room.
    2. They only have about 5 minutes off-leash time in the beginning after which they get put on the leash and then are basically ignored for the next 45 minutes while she tells us things I've already read in a book. It's extremely frustrating for me and for my puppy and of course creates a little terror of fur!
    3. It's only an hour and she usually runs out of time and rushes through the obedience bit at the end which is a shame because I'm a very visual and hands-on person. So I still don't quite understand how to teach heeling.

    I'm a first-time dog owner and I wonder is every puppy school like this?!? It seems to be one big money-maker and it makes me really resent that I have chosen to do this. There is only one more class to go but I fe

    Also, GOOD puppy school stories are also more than welcome! I want to hear the good and the bad! ; )

    Thanks for reading!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    No not all puppy pre-schools are like this.

    It is my method to get puppies moving as quickly as possible and just before puppies tire and the humans backs are hurting from bending down to their little puppies we stop and then discuss and talk.

    We then have socialisation time as the puppies are more relaxed.

    Ask for a refund and find another puppy class.

    Having said that, not all people do research, read books etc, so you'd be surprised how many of the other puppy owners needed to hear what to you is obvious.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,596

    Default

    Gawd, we had three puppies in a vet waiting room and the vet and a vet nurse supervising. My dog had a ball, very little on lead stuff and the focus was about letting the puppies play with each other so owners and puppies learned what was ok, what wasn't and what to do about it. We also learned heaps about how to look after the puppies, scary stuff about worms, and viruses etc. And got some free stuff by people marketing their stuff to puppy owners.

    If you had 10 puppies all together and all on lead - you need your money back and to find a different puppy school - maybe someone at your local obedience dog club could recommend someone.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    MAC is right. Not ALL puppy schools are like this. Some are great, some are bad and many are in-between.

    TBH sounds like the one you have been going to is a joke. Not worth it, and as you've decided, would have been better off without it!

    I agree with MAC re the fact that not all new dog owners read up, research and learn all they can before getting a puppy. Many have simply no idea.

    Here's a story of a good puppy school experience:
    We would spend the first couple of lessons without the puppies. It was adult/owner only lessons, where we could go through the boring basics and everyone could ask questions and interact with each other. We found it made for a better environment once the puppies joined in as ppl had got to know one another a little bit already, and were far more relaxed, which naturally helped the puppies too.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Thanks for the swift responses - I guess you guys reinforce what I'm already feeling: money back, cut my losses, and go to another puppy school.

    Quote Originally Posted by mouseandchicken View Post
    No not all puppy pre-schools are like this.

    Having said that, not all people do research, read books etc, so you'd be surprised how many of the other puppy owners needed to hear what to you is obvious.
    Thanks for your reply - it's only obvious because I read about a gazillion books and of course the interwebs (that includes this forum of course) so thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    Gawd, we had three puppies in a vet waiting room and the vet and a vet nurse supervising.
    Lucky you - sounds like a good group. Did all the puppies get along?

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    MAC is right. Not ALL puppy schools are like this. Some are great, some are bad and many are in-between.

    TBH sounds like the one you have been going to is a joke. Not worth it, and as you've decided, would have been better off without it!

    I agree with MAC re the fact that not all new dog owners read up, research and learn all they can before getting a puppy. Many have simply no idea.

    Here's a story of a good puppy school experience:
    We would spend the first couple of lessons without the puppies. It was adult/owner only lessons, where we could go through the boring basics and everyone could ask questions and interact with each other. We found it made for a better environment once the puppies joined in as ppl had got to know one another a little bit already, and were far more relaxed, which naturally helped the puppies too.
    See that sounds amazing. I understand puppy school is more for the humans rather than the dogs anyway so it makes total sense to have an intro lesson without pups! On that note, does anyone know of a good puppy school in Brisbane? Am willing to travel : )

    Thing is - even though I'm quite heated up about this, I hate confrontation. So I probably won't ask for a refund because I'm such a chicken sh*t AND also because I would feel guilty. I know - it's ridiculous and I only admit this because I'm anonymous. Out of curiosity, how would you go about asking for a refund? Especially if next week is already graduation day?

    Thanks again for the replies!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    212

    Default

    The puppy kinder I went to had max 8 puppies per class - first class mine was the best beahved, did everything he was asked, didnt make a noise. Every other class he was the only one barking and pulling on the lead because all he wanted to do was play

    Still attending puppy classes, he's pretty naughty at class because he still just wants to play with the other dogs, but again, theres only ever 6 - 8 pups per class.

    Neither were at a vet's so I'm not sure what the ones at vets are like. At the moment I'm attending planet K9, they have a few locations (in melb - not sure about other places) I cant remember the name of the puppy kinder

    Thanks to rocky misbehaving during class, really the whole point of going is to larn how to do things at home, and then introduce them outside later on. Worth going I reckon! Anyway, I hope somewhere in everything that I've said helped at all in any way

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    DA, my club is thinking of introducing a night without the dogs for new members could I ask what you thought of that? What was your experience? Do you think it was well received by the other people there?

    We have our first instructors meeting back on the 3rd and this will be up for discussion so any input would be appreciated.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    The puppy preschools I have gone to have had the first lesson puppy free and following 4 lessons with puppies.

    We went to two different places with Sumo and Ruby. Sumo's class had (from what I can remember) 6 puppies and Ruby's started out with 6 and ended with 4.

    The "trainer" at Sumo's had no friggin' clue. She let puppies run around...a Husky had a serious go at a Labrador (long story, but none of the other puppies liked Labrador due to his extremely high energy). I could see Husky would get cranky, but trainer was too busy yacking to someone else. I didn't learn a good damn thing, but the socialisation was good for Sumo.

    Ruby's class...puppies were NOT allowed to interact offleash with other puppies. There were divider screen between us, so the puppies couldn't see each other. I told this chick that the socialisation part was the ONLY reason I had paid $120...since Ruby IS a Staffy and she needed socialisation early...I was NOT impressed. Needless to say...other people there were not impressed either which is probably the reason for 2 of them dropping out! Ruby did not get the socialisation she needed, so waste of money and time!

    Now...both these "trainers" are Delta Society trainers and I have promised myself I will NEVER EVER have anything to do with Delta Society again. Their "motto" is...reward good behaviour...ignore bad behaviour. Sorry, but in the real world...that doesn't cut it!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mouseandchicken View Post
    DA, my club is thinking of introducing a night without the dogs for new members could I ask what you thought of that? What was your experience? Do you think it was well received by the other people there?

    We have our first instructors meeting back on the 3rd and this will be up for discussion so any input would be appreciated.
    Well, I ran it, so naturally I'm biased and think it went well.
    No seriously, we got to know the ppl who attended, and they all came back to us at some stage or other with excellent feedback. Some of them commented that they had friends who attended one at the other vet surgery in town and those friends were quite dissappointed in that one, so that made me feel we did it the right way.
    How much info can you take in when you're trying to control a puppy anyway? Well I'd miss a lot anyway! Lol.

    I personally feel it is well worth doing. And so much less boring too!
    (Of course, we were a little town and had cake and coffee at the end of the adult/owner only lessons, so I guess that helped too?! )

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    The puppy preschools I have gone to have had the first lesson puppy free and following 4 lessons with puppies.

    We went to two different places with Sumo and Ruby. Sumo's class had (from what I can remember) 6 puppies and Ruby's started out with 6 and ended with 4.

    The "trainer" at Sumo's had no friggin' clue. She let puppies run around...a Husky had a serious go at a Labrador (long story, but none of the other puppies liked Labrador due to his extremely high energy). I could see Husky would get cranky, but trainer was too busy yacking to someone else. I didn't learn a good damn thing, but the socialisation was good for Sumo.

    Ruby's class...puppies were NOT allowed to interact offleash with other puppies. There were divider screen between us, so the puppies couldn't see each other. I told this chick that the socialisation part was the ONLY reason I had paid $120...since Ruby IS a Staffy and she needed socialisation early...I was NOT impressed. Needless to say...other people there were not impressed either which is probably the reason for 2 of them dropping out! Ruby did not get the socialisation she needed, so waste of money and time!

    Now...both these "trainers" are Delta Society trainers and I have promised myself I will NEVER EVER have anything to do with Delta Society again. Their "motto" is...reward good behaviour...ignore bad behaviour. Sorry, but in the real world...that doesn't cut it!
    OMFG! What a rorte, Cleas. I would have been fuming too!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •