Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: ARGH! Why Has Everything Gone Backwards???

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    You know Angela, it just occured to me that the best advice I could possibly give you is:

    Everything you read, everything you are told, everything you see on tv, literally everything concerning dog behaviour and their training - take it on board, look at it, think about it, and ONLY if your instinct agrees try it. If it works, great, keep with it. If it doesn't, try something else.

    Like with anything in life I don't believe things are always a case of right or wrong. What works for one doesn't always necessarily work for another.
    Go with what feels right for you and Batty.

    It's like this triangle of temptation, food circuit, NILIF, all these things are simply methods that many ppl have been using to train their dogs for generations, albeit ppl call it different things.
    Use what works FOR YOU, and throw out what doesn't.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Chew and toys on shelves and in places around the house is spot on Angela! Good thinking, so you get grab something wherever you are. Inca has one chew toy, a stuffed tiger, and she is literally obsessed with it. Reminds me of Lionel in Charlie Brown with his blankee.

    Thanks for explaining the food circuit training you have been using. I know it, but just don't use treats when teaching it - I use humans instead. Same thing, though. Works well.

    Got NFI about K9's Triangle of Temptation. Lol. I just always teach my dogs to sit before a meal is placed on the ground, and to wait until the command to 'eat' or 'ok' (depending what you prefer) is given. Not only is it convenient and good manners, it is something my father always taught me as a child because he had dogs that were trained to only eat food given to them BY HIM on HIS command.
    YAY three things I'm doing right! Sorry, kind of celebrating that one.

    All the chews/toys (that aren't out on rotation) are out of his reach and out of sight. If he gets one a different one will go up to that spot. Hubby isn't as good at this as I am, but I'll pop a discarded toy up when I notice one is missing from that particular place. OCD can be useful sometimes!

    TOT is exactly what you've explained, but puppy/dog must look at me, not the food bowl and that's exactly what he does every time I've even got his bowl in my hand.

    I pick it up and he sits and watches me lol.

    I say "Grub" when he's to eat his food. I also give him a quick little pat as I'm leaving.

    On the plus side, I solved the inhaling food problem. I'm using a little bit of mince to make it sticky and he's very carefully chewing every piece now. No vomit since yesterday lunchtime. I tried feeding on bickie at a time and he just inhaled faster.

    Batty adores his doggy teddy. It's the brown and white one you can see in so many of my pictures LOL.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    YAY three things I'm doing right! Sorry, kind of celebrating that one.

    All the chews/toys (that aren't out on rotation) are out of his reach and out of sight. If he gets one a different one will go up to that spot. Hubby isn't as good at this as I am, but I'll pop a discarded toy up when I notice one is missing from that particular place. OCD can be useful sometimes!

    TOT is exactly what you've explained, but puppy/dog must look at me, not the food bowl and that's exactly what he does every time I've even got his bowl in my hand.

    I pick it up and he sits and watches me lol.

    I say "Grub" when he's to eat his food. I also give him a quick little pat as I'm leaving.

    On the plus side, I solved the inhaling food problem. I'm using a little bit of mince to make it sticky and he's very carefully chewing every piece now. No vomit since yesterday lunchtime. I tried feeding on bickie at a time and he just inhaled faster.

    Batty adores his doggy teddy. It's the brown and white one you can see in so many of my pictures LOL.
    Yep, not always but very often they will have one particular toy they just loooove! Inca bashes her up, smacks the Tiger's head against the floor and wall, and then inadvertently licks it and cuddles it as if she's saying sorry to it! Pathetic, but hilarious.

    You're doing well. The food thing is also useful for the additional reason to help thwart dog-baiting.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    I second what DA says. I tell my kids, ask the questions, research, ask advice from whomever you like then sift through it all and take what is applicable to their situation and throw out the rest...including mine, if it does not fit.

    Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Also, the quick little pat on the head you are giving Batty when you have placed the food bowl down - is really good. As is just coming out to his food bowl and running your hand down his flank or side while he is eating now and again. Just gets the dog used to being touched, and you won't end up in a situation where dog is 'protective' of his food, which isn't a good scenario, naturally.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Also, the quick little pat on the head you are giving Batty when you have placed the food bowl down - is really good. As is just coming out to his food bowl and running your hand down his flank or side while he is eating now and again. Just gets the dog used to being touched, and you won't end up in a situation where dog is 'protective' of his food, which isn't a good scenario, naturally.
    That's exactly why I'm doing it I started the TOT because I was at my wits end on how to make him see that the bowl is nothing to protect as he will never go without. Sometimes I'll run my hands up and down his legs, sometimes I'll put my hand in his bowl with a chunk of chicken and leave the chicken in there.

    Both leading up to and after getting Batty - I actually fostered mum for the first week while waiting for another to head off to his new home so the space was there for her to give birth, when I found out she was preg I spoke to hubby and let him know I wanted a pup and he was all for it - the books I read are as follows:

    Jan Fennell - The Dog Listener, The Practical Dog Listener

    Patricia McConnell - The Other End Of The Leash, Puppy Primer, The Cautious Canine, How to be the Leader of the Pack and Have Your Dog Love You for It and For The Love of A Dog.

    Cesar Milan (VERY quickly discarded, I read the whole book and thought it was the biggest crock I've ever heard) - Cesar's Way & How To Raise The Perfect Dog - I will say again, the biggest crock and waste of money EVER! Just my opinion though.

    I also read Victoria Stillwell's It's Me Or The Dog, but it didn't really strike a chord with me either way.

    I just want to say a very HUGE thank you to all of you, first for listening and second for helping me realise that it's not that bad.

    I really do appreciate the advice and I'm certain I will be coming back time and time again to this thread to re-read and take stock lol. Thank you all again.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    No probs.

    Enjoy the puppy stage, no matter how bad it may seem at times. It goes so quickly.

    Aw, you can tell that comment came from a mother! Lol.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    No probs.

    Enjoy the puppy stage, no matter how bad it may seem at times. It goes so quickly.

    Oh mannn, I hope so, I hate it, lol.


    Aw, you can tell that comment came from a mother! Lol.
    Message will not post, says too short just editing the above so I am just rambling in this bit.

    Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Di_dee1 View Post
    Message will not post, says too short just editing the above so I am just rambling in this bit.
    PMSL. Good one, Di.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •