Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Pup Likes Her Safe House

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,048

    Default Pup Likes Her Safe House

    I just took Dora on a... well, you cant call it a walk really. I used a technique someone gave me (sorry, dont remember who!), its where you dangle a cat toy in front of the pup/dog to get it to walk.
    It worked for the first ten or so meters... too bad my driveways about thirty, so we didnt get far.



    I let her explore the drive for a few minutes, sitting in the middle of it, watching her sniff. Dad came along (since she seems to see him the very top dog... Im just the second ) and she followed him for a bit.
    We got to the middle of our street when she stopped and stood still for a few mins then started walking again.
    We got to the oval, which is maybe half a kilometre away, and I let her off the leash. Me and Dad wandered ahead while she followed a few steps behind.
    It was dark, so we couldnt see her very well. One second she was behind us, the next, gone.
    I immediately started calling her name, but she didnt come. Dad had the good sense to call Mum and ask her if Dora came home - she did. Thank God there were no cars.
    I've learned my lesson - I'm never gonna let her off leash again, not until I know that when I call her, she will definitely come - and not run home.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,960

    Default

    First of all, cute picture!

    Wow that's so scary. I can't imagine what must have been going through your head. Definitely keep her on the lead until she is as responsive as an marine!

    Also, just promise me you won't be one of those people who take their dogs for a walk...Without a lead. I live in an rural area and people do it all the time. I don't care how well trained your dog is, walking down a house filled street with pets with your dog off leash is irresponsible!

    Rant over. XD

    Dora is so cute.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneygotpierced View Post
    First of all, cute picture!

    Wow that's so scary. I can't imagine what must have been going through your head. Definitely keep her on the lead until she is as responsive as an marine!

    Also, just promise me you won't be one of those people who take their dogs for a walk...Without a lead. I live in an rural area and people do it all the time. I don't care how well trained your dog is, walking down a house filled street with pets with your dog off leash is irresponsible!

    Rant over. XD

    Dora is so cute.
    Once I trust her and KNOW she wont leave my side (and by side I mean I would prefer her to be glued to my left calf) I'm gonna take her for walks without the lead.
    Only a few people on each street in my neighbourhood own dogs so she wont run off.
    She's OK without the lead. On the way back from our river beach I walk her without a lead, and she seems to know that this is important and the second I call her she comes running.
    I guess that cause we were so close to our house (her safehouse) she felt safer there than with us.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,960

    Default

    I think it's actually illegal to allow your dog off lead in rural streets. But we're getting confused because I'm very rural, you're surburban

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneygotpierced View Post
    I think it's actually illegal to allow your dog off lead in rural streets. But we're getting confused because I'm very rural, you're surburban
    Yep. Where I live, unless theres a sign we can have dogs off lead. But even if there were signs, no one would follow them... cos no one in Sylvania would dob anyone in... unless it was #4 from our complex... he likes making lives miserable

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,960

    Default

    The issue where I am is many suffer from 'my dog is an angel who would never growl or bite' syndrome. Aye.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneygotpierced View Post
    The issue where I am is many suffer from 'my dog is an angel who would never growl or bite' syndrome. Aye.
    True. I dont think Dora as that.
    She WILL growl, she will most likely not bite unless she was scared sh!tless. but I would get her away form anyone if she IS scared sh!tless.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masha View Post
    True. I dont think Dora as that.
    She WILL growl, she will most likely not bite unless she was scared sh!tless. but I would get her away form anyone if she IS scared sh!tless.
    But the point is you wouldn't blame me if Dora randomly ran up to me and growled. These people do.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneygotpierced View Post
    But the point is you wouldn't blame me if Dora randomly ran up to me and growled. These people do.
    rephrase ? bit confused xD

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,960

    Default

    I've been attacked by 'well trained dogs' whilst going for a walk and heard 'Oh, Fluffy never does that. It must be the way you smell.'

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •