Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Do Puppy's Need a Playmate

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    If you get a second dog that is the same age or older - you have all sorts of problems when they sort out which dog is boss. Then again some dogs are happy to let another take over.

    If you get a puppy before the first dog is fully trained - you end up with double trouble and they teach each other bad things. If the first dog is trained, it will bring the second with it when you call it. But if it doesn't come when it's called - you've lost both of them.

    Two dogs can be great together, I'd just wait until the first one is all sorted and then get a younger one. And take your first dog with you to help choose - it won't work if the first dog hates the second one.

    Blue Heelers and Italian Greyhounds and some other dogs can prefer being single dogs, some are good and some aren't, you will just need to check for that too.

    In the meantime make sure your first dog gets plenty of time meeting and greeting other dogs at places where they gather for exericise and you will get an idea of what kind of dog she prefers (what size/shape, how active, what they like to do together) or even if she isn't interested at all.
    Fantastic advice, thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Will wait for awhile and see how Jade goes. There are always dog's needing home's.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,602

    Default

    No wurries

    A pity parents can't choose their children this way...

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    No wurries

    A pity parents can't choose their children this way...

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    151

    Default

    so true haha

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wodonga
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    Some dogs do - some dont. I know Rufus is pining for some playmates atm as in Melbourne he got to play with a variet of dogs. Unfortunately, i dont know that many dog ppl up here so atm he has to suffer with the cats instead. Cappy never needed anyone but me. Horses for courses. WB btw

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    151

    Default

    What does WB btw mean? sorry not down with all the lanuage

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Occy View Post
    Some dogs do - some dont. I know Rufus is pining for some playmates atm as in Melbourne he got to play with a variet of dogs. Unfortunately, i dont know that many dog ppl up here so atm he has to suffer with the cats instead. Cappy never needed anyone but me. Horses for courses. WB btw
    Ahh so this is why you want my pooch next month

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,602

    Default

    For Taraboombara

    WB - welcome back
    BRB - (I will) Be Right Back (chat speak)
    GTG - Got to Go (now)
    ROTFL - very funny
    BTW - By the way
    NFI - No (effing) Idea or I don't know
    PITA - Pain in the behind / irritating.
    IMO - In my opinion
    IMHO - In my humble/honest opinion
    TBH - To be honest (not sure why people use this - it's a bit like the "Trust Me" badge on a politician)
    IANAL - I am not a lawyer, we should probably have
    IANAV - I am not a vet too
    OH - Other Half (or spouse) - there's a lot of code for different family members.
    S4B - Poo for brains (or sometimes code for little brothers)

    PS - Post Script which means the same as
    ETA - Extra Text Added, which you use depends how much you like Latin QED.

    SBT - Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    GSD - German Shepherd Dog
    ACD - Australian Cattle Dog
    BC - Border Collie
    Iggy - Italian Greyhound

    And sometimes people use initials instead of long user names.
    There's lots more.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    For Taraboombara

    WB - welcome back
    BRB - (I will) Be Right Back (chat speak)
    GTG - Got to Go (now)
    ROTFL - very funny
    BTW - By the way
    NFI - No (effing) Idea or I don't know
    PITA - Pain in the behind / irritating.
    IMO - In my opinion
    IMHO - In my humble/honest opinion
    TBH - To be honest (not sure why people use this - it's a bit like the "Trust Me" badge on a politician)
    IANAL - I am not a lawyer, we should probably have
    IANAV - I am not a vet too
    OH - Other Half (or spouse) - there's a lot of code for different family members.
    S4B - Poo for brains (or sometimes code for little brothers)

    PS - Post Script which means the same as
    ETA - Extra Text Added, which you use depends how much you like Latin QED.

    SBT - Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    GSD - German Shepherd Dog
    ACD - Australian Cattle Dog
    BC - Border Collie
    Iggy - Italian Greyhound

    And sometimes people use initials instead of long user names.
    There's lots more.
    Wow thanks Hyacinth! That was very helpful.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Ahhhh thats great Hyacinth thanks so much for the lingo!!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •