Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Puppy Has Really Strong Jaw!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    46

    Question Puppy Has Really Strong Jaw!

    .....
    Last edited by katey_charm; 01-13-2010 at 05:42 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katey_charm View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I was just curious....i have had pups before of all different breeds (rotti, kelpie, chihuahua etc.) and i have noticed that my puppy (charm) has and extremely strong jaw (she can lock down very hard, almost to the point you can't get anything off her that she has locked in her mouth, human hands and feet included! lol) she also has very very sharp teeth. she is 14 weeks old and already has a stronger jaw and sharper teeth than a LOT of adult dogs.

    I was wondering is this to do with her breed? she is an American Staffy x (possibly lab).

    If anyone had some comments i would love to hear them!

    Katey & Charm
    Any puppy has sharper teeth than an adult dog.

    There is no such thing as 'locking' onto any item for any breed of dog, this is a myth and one that should not be perpetuated.

    They all get hold of things and don't want to let go and it can seem like they 'lock'. She is just testing out her strength. It doesn't have much to do with breed, the strength in the jaw simply varies from dog to dog and from puppy to puppy. Some puppies are much stronger than others.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    if your dog is a Am Staff X she is classed as an American Pit Bull Terrier in Australia

    Please do some research and welcome to my world

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Yeh the jaw in Amstaffs is a lot stronger than other breeds & although they cannot get 'lock jaw' as such, they do have an enormous amount of pressure in their jaws, a lot more than most breeds

    www.healthy4paws.com.au
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeTheDeedNotTheBreed View Post
    if your dog is a Am Staff X she is classed as an American Pit Bull Terrier in Australia

    Please do some research and welcome to my world
    I know we are only trying to educate, but I don't really see the point in implying to the owner that they're in for a rough road. The puppy is here, she came here with a question regarding her puppy, not BSL. Perhaps we can have a sticky or BSL links in our siggy's, I just don't think this is an very welcoming introduction. To me it's the same of scolding a new member for buying a 'designer dog.'

    You get more with honey than with vinegar.

    Apologies if this offends anyone.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    no offence taken and yes you are right. I apologise.

    The puppy is here and I dont condone your for it at all, how can I when I have 2 . But please do some reading about Breed Specific Legislation. It can only help you and your new pup.

    Anyway back to jaw power I found think on wikianswers:

    This list is not exhaustive and is AVERAGE which means a middle number taken from the breeds, and will be listed by pressure not breed:
    Hyena - 800 lb per square inch
    Mastiff (all true Mastiff breeds) 500 lb per square inch
    Pit Bull, German Shepard, Rottweiler and all other large domestic breeds of dogs - 320 lb per square inch
    Some information in this answer was taken from: Dr. Brady Barr's study "Bite Force (Dangerous Encounters)" produced for National Geographic.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneygotpierced View Post
    I know we are only trying to educate, but I don't really see the point in implying to the owner that they're in for a rough road. The puppy is here, she came here with a question regarding her puppy, not BSL. Perhaps we can have a sticky or BSL links in our siggy's, I just don't think this is an very welcoming introduction. To me it's the same of scolding a new member for buying a 'designer dog.'

    You get more with honey than with vinegar.

    Apologies if this offends anyone.
    It is an INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT step to research the breed or cross that you have and make sure you learn all you can about them, something most people do not think about. Just because we have a link or stickies to anything doesn't mean the poster will take any notice. I have my settings set to hide all signatures, I certainly wouldn't look at the links people have in their signatures either.

    Fair enough you don't think it's a good intro, but this wasn't an intro thread. There was a question asked and JTDNTB gave information that the OP will need for later on!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    It is an INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT step to research the breed or cross that you have and make sure you learn all you can about them, something most people do not think about. Just because we have a link or stickies to anything doesn't mean the poster will take any notice. I have my settings set to hide all signatures, I certainly wouldn't look at the links people have in their signatures either.

    Fair enough you don't think it's a good intro, but this wasn't an intro thread. There was a question asked and JTDNTB gave information that the OP will need for later on!
    I agree. I just think the information should be presented in a positive way. Apologies for not explaining correctly.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    It is an INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT step to research the breed or cross that you have and make sure you learn all you can about them, something most people do not think about. Just because we have a link or stickies to anything doesn't mean the poster will take any notice. I have my settings set to hide all signatures, I certainly wouldn't look at the links people have in their signatures either.

    Fair enough you don't think it's a good intro, but this wasn't an intro thread. There was a question asked and JTDNTB gave information that the OP will need for later on!
    AGB Please just call me Judge or something shorter lol to hard writting all those letters

    And thanks for understanding my post

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeTheDeedNotTheBreed View Post
    AGB Please just call me Judge or something shorter lol to hard writting all those letters

    And thanks for understanding my post
    Can do Judge (I feel like I should salute or something )

    ETA: Judge is only one letter shorter than JTDNTB...

    It's very easy to understand posts when you don't over-analyse them and take them for what they are. I think the breed discrimination that we have in this country now is a disgrace in all honesty, and the more that can be done to prove that this breed aren't monsters the better. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you and I'd like to believe that I would be as strong as you are to be able to deal with that much hatred and discrimination being directed at a dog that I own. In reality though I doubt I would be able to
    Last edited by Angela's Gone Batty; 01-13-2010 at 03:41 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •