Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 73

Thread: The Puppy Training, Hints and Tips Thread

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    It's really hard to type out! If you can give me until tonight I'll get it written up properly so you can see everything in the correct order.
    You can have as much time as you need. I'd rather get the correct info than some jumbled piece of sh*t
    Thank you

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masha View Post
    I love GSDs. Are you serious hes only 19 weeks? He looks way older. He so cute!
    My sig pic was taken a month ago so he's had another 4 weeks of growing since then

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneygotpierced View Post
    WOW Troopa is getting to be such a big boy!
    Indeed he is


    Masha, sucks that some people out there think it's fine to just pat a dog they don't know, especially after you've told them not to. I hope this experience won't set Dora back too far.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,960

    Default

    I totally agree Megan. This also leads back to a frightened dog bears his teeth, he's labeled aggressive when in reality if people would respect your choice to not have strangers or children touch him, it could have been totally prevented, thus contributing to stereotypes of certain breeds. Btw Megan I wasn't referring to Troopa this thread just reminded me.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneygotpierced View Post
    I totally agree Megan. This also leads back to a frightened dog bears his teeth, he's labeled aggressive when in reality if people would respect your choice to not have strangers or children touch him, it could have been totally prevented, thus contributing to stereotypes of certain breeds. Btw Megan I wasn't referring to Troopa this thread just reminded me.
    Dora to alrady know that kids are kids and she hasnt growled at a single one shes met. Adults, yea, but kids, no.
    As a rule, dogs dont usually attack young

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masha View Post
    Dora to alrady know that kids are kids and she hasnt growled at a single one shes met. Adults, yea, but kids, no.
    As a rule, dogs dont usually attack young
    I have to disagree...I've seen some pretty tragic endings between dogs and kids, despite who was at fault, it ends up with a child who needs medical care and a dog that is PTS

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneygotpierced View Post
    I have to disagree...I've seen some pretty tragic endings between dogs and kids, despite who was at fault, it ends up with a child who needs medical care and a dog that is PTS
    I've never seen a dog attack a kid. I've only read about it in the local paper three times in my five years in the Sutherland Shire.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masha View Post
    I've never seen a dog attack a kid. I've only read about it in the local paper three times in my five years in the Sutherland Shire.
    I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Seeing two of God's most innocent creatures suffer like that aint fun

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    I would imagine.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    I let as many people touch my dogs as possible. Being show dogs they have to be handled. Doesn't mean I let people frighten the dog, there is a big difference

    I always do looming exercises over my dogs, handle them around the face and teeth, ears and you know what for the boys. But generally loom over them which is often what inexperienced people and kids do to dogs.

    I'll admit I start this with family and friends while they're still in the whelping box so that by the time they hit the streets they are bomb proof.

    I remember being at Sydney Royal many years ago, left for 5 mins and came back to find a kid sitting in the box with one of my dogs & the parents taking photo's, thank god they didn't pick my friends dog a few stalls down, because he did not take well to strangers.

    But having said that the Electricity guy will attest to the fact that they kick up a real stink and put on an impressive show of barking when he comes to read the metre which is by the side fence.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mouseandchicken View Post
    I let as many people touch my dogs as possible. Being show dogs they have to be handled. Doesn't mean I let people frighten the dog, there is a big difference

    I always do looming exercises over my dogs, handle them around the face and teeth, ears and you know what for the boys. But generally loom over them which is often what inexperienced people and kids do to dogs.

    I'll admit I start this with family and friends while they're still in the whelping box so that by the time they hit the streets they are bomb proof.
    That's a good idea. Dora is used to family members so I might try that little exercise. She's ok with me opening her mouth (I usually have to reach in there and take out cat food and poo) and fine with me handling her face. I'm not sure how she is with Dad, Mum and sister so I'll ask them to try.
    But with the whole people scaring Dora, I will most certainly not allow this. When the lady loomed over Dora (who was fine two seconds before), Dora's tail went straight between her legs, and I tried as nicely as possible to tell the woman to back off. But people dont get it... once you tell them a dog is scared, they try comforting him/her. They dont get that comforting them with scare them further and fuel the fear.
    How can I politely tell a 60+ adult to stop touching my dog?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •