Page 44 of 55 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 547

Thread: GRRR the Attitude is Everywhere!

  1. #431
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Back Again

    Did anyone read my suggestions on making it more difficult for ANYONE to breed/sell ANY dog. Surely if we were to do some of them the problem of over supply and subsequent rescue dog being pts would be greatly reduced.

    Has anyone else any suggestion for curbing the dog population without eliminating cross breeding?

    I did also think about a tax on the sale of live animals, all money to fund a governing body who checks up on breeders etc.

    Anyone?
    The best things in life, aren't things

  2. #432
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peter70 View Post
    I see it was ok for you to use greyhounds in your original percentages?
    I thought a purebred in the pound is a purebred in the pound. Are you saying greyhounds arent a purebred?
    So you agree with Nattylou then that its ok to xbreed to create a dog for a "niche".
    Now go back and read my posts, the only reason i have kept this going is because of the way the pompous few around here feel they are the only ones entitled to an opinion. My opinion is no different to yours except desexing and until it comes to belittling/ berating and being just plain nasty to someone and bomarding them with your view.
    You guys constantly demand facts of others yet provide very few yourself, by this i mean "FACTS" not self absorbed opinions. Drop your qualifications on the table and you may be taken serious.
    Figures are a beautiful thing and can be manipulated by anyone to assist them in thier arguments.
    As for Nero i believe he is on the main register, he wont be desexed at anytime soon.
    Enjoy bathing in your self righteousness this is over and out for me on this subject, your arguments have achieved nothing with me as mine with you. I know myself to be a responsible dog owner and despite your opinions will remain to be one.
    A REGISTERED purebred in the pound...is a registered purebred in the pound. A PUREBRED without papers is just that...unregistered...bred by BYB/puppy mill!

    I NEVER said Greyhounds are not purebred...but if they were considered a "medium" breed...there would be MORE "purebreds" in THAT section than the other ones...that is WHY I did...ALL sized dogs to be fair!

    I just gave you FACTS! Fact is...shelters/rescue organisations etc have A LOT more cross breeds than "pure breeds"! If cross breeding was made illegal...the world would be a better place....FOR THE DOGS/PUPPIES INVOLVED! THEY are the ones paying the ultimate price with DEATH when they eventually become unwanted...or put in the "all too hard basket". IT IS irresponsible not to the desex your dog if you do not intend to breed him. Unless you can't read...the fact is....the majority of dogs in shelters etc are cross breeds and the "purebreds" as you like to call them...are not registered OR a VERY small amount will be registered!!! You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure this out!!!

    You can call me arrogant...condescending...self righteous...whatever you feel like...and I will continue calling you irresponsible for not desexing your dog and ignorant of the facts involved!

    Your opinion is very different. You state that cross breeding is not as bad as it seems and that cross breeding can be done "responsibly"...which is a crock of crap! UNLESS of course it is done by people who invest time, money, years of research etc to actually come up with a breed that is better in the Aussie climate or for whatever reason AND work to have this breed recognised by ANKC and a TRUE breed and not just a "designer breed" for peoples convenience and fashion!

    You say not to "attack" people...well, I think calling me arrogant, pompous and self righteous is very much a personal attack. Practice as you preach or keep your mouth shut!

    Go visit your local pound...have a look at the breeds/cross breeds there. Spend a day volunteering with RSPCA and see what they do and what they have to deal with on a daily basis! Ask the question...how many dogs are PTS each year...ask them the ratio of pure versus cross coming through and you will get the FULL picture! Ask what they think about cross breeding!

    How can someone NOT know whether their dog is on Main or Limited register...makes NO sense to me!

    You are NOT worth ANY more of my time and you are hereby ignored. Some people just do not get it unfortunately and never will!

  3. #433
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tkay View Post
    Back Again

    Did anyone read my suggestions on making it more difficult for ANYONE to breed/sell ANY dog. Surely if we were to do some of them the problem of over supply and subsequent rescue dog being pts would be greatly reduced.

    Has anyone else any suggestion for curbing the dog population without eliminating cross breeding?

    I did also think about a tax on the sale of live animals, all money to fund a governing body who checks up on breeders etc.

    Anyone?
    When you get a dog on limited register...it states in the contract you can not breed from this dog! Who is going to police this?

    Unless it is made ILLEGAL to cross breed and hefty fines are involved...it will continue due to peoples money hungry mindset and ignorance!

  4. #434

    Default

    Peter, if you know so little about the whole situation that you're unsure of your own dog's registration status I am lost for words.

    Your breeder has retained the official paperwork for your dog then? If that's the case then there is either a question in their mind over the dog's quality for breeding or showing or they have a doubt about your intentions or abilities as a breeder.

    I have little doubt that your only intention here is to try and justify your breeding plans for your own dog. No-one here can stop you. If you seriously feel you need to justify your own intentions so forthrightly to a bunch of strangers then maybe you doubt them yourself.

    And just to clarify, racing Greyhounds are not "registered purebreds" as they are not registered or recognised by the ANKC. Their registration with the State racing Authority can be transferred upon application (pending review and approval) to full ANKC status but this is very rare and only done if they move from racing into showing. People who want to show greyhounds generally buy them from show lines. I can tell you now that many many greyhounds are BYB - racing rego means nothing. And seeing as over 7000 were PTS as offcasts of the racing industry last year in NSW alone they are not a great example of doing the right thing by dogs on any level. Plus that figure is only the official one, not accounting for the pups destroyed at birth, young and non-promising, injured or shot out the back of the farm or track etc when they don't perfom.

    Is this whole argument because you think you have found a niche for a new breed created from Neo stock?
    Last edited by Nattylou; 12-26-2009 at 10:02 AM.

  5. #435
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    When you get a dog on limited register...it states in the contract you can not breed from this dog! Who is going to police this?

    Unless it is made ILLEGAL to cross breed and hefty fines are involved...it will continue due to peoples money hungry mindset and ignorance!
    Did you even read my initial post on this. I was suggesting you would have to have a license to sell any animal. If you advertise in ad traders, internet and the like spot checks could be done to see if sellers are licensed.

    Yes, it would be damn near impossible to stop people breeding their dogs crosses or otherwise but if you made it MUCH harder to sell (and less profitable) and more difficult to buy (the whole register first thing - see other post) this seems to be a much more viable approach than stopping cross breeding altogether. Lets face it that is never going to happen as much as you want it to.
    The best things in life, aren't things

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tkay View Post
    Back Again

    Did anyone read my suggestions on making it more difficult for ANYONE to breed/sell ANY dog. Surely if we were to do some of them the problem of over supply and subsequent rescue dog being pts would be greatly reduced.

    Has anyone else any suggestion for curbing the dog population without eliminating cross breeding?

    I did also think about a tax on the sale of live animals, all money to fund a governing body who checks up on breeders etc.

    Anyone?
    I am still developing my thoughts on this. Part of me sees the solution as controlling the supply channel. Limited/controlled supply can only be a good thing. It could definitely address the mill issue. As I said, I'm still developing my thoughts but I figure the effort by the RSPCA in re-homing dogs is attacking the problem at the wrong end (i.e. after the event). It might be effort better spent at the front end...ie. actually BEING the single major supply channel for pups to pet owners. The issue as we all pretty much know is one of ignorance. Most people are unaware of puppy mills and irresponsible breeders but many unwittingly support them through their buying decisions, avoiding shelters because they think it risky to buy a dog from a shelter because "there must have been problems with the dogs leading them to be surrendered" etc. etc.

    If the marketing of pets was done such that the public could be educated to source their pets thru their local RSPCA, it would cut mill operators off at the knees. The RSPCA could take a fee for acting as the agent between buyer and seller and use their knowledge and not for profit mentality to ensure purchasers are:

    • properly educated with respect to the breed/s they are interested in;

    • informed of the costs of pet ownership (which I'm sure surprises many); and

    • interviewed/licenced to ensure they are capable of responsible pet ownership and offer a good match to the breed they desire


    This arrangement would readily enable the RSPCA to monitor breeders for irresponsible breeding, ensure dogs are microchipped, vaccinated and desexed.

    Is this idea so totally out there it couldn't work? Is it too much "big brother"? I personally don't think so.
    Last edited by CleasantasLittleHelper; 12-27-2009 at 06:46 AM.

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tkay View Post
    Did you even read my initial post on this. I was suggesting you would have to have a license to sell any animal. If you advertise in ad traders, internet and the like spot checks could be done to see if sellers are licensed.

    Yes, it would be damn near impossible to stop people breeding their dogs crosses or otherwise but if you made it MUCH harder to sell (and less profitable) and more difficult to buy (the whole register first thing - see other post) this seems to be a much more viable approach than stopping cross breeding altogether. Lets face it that is never going to happen as much as you want it to.
    We have already had those discussions in another thread "Ban of Dogs/Cats in Pet shops" re stopping pet shops from selling pets...stopping ads on sites like Gumtree and through the Classifieds. OF COURSE it would make it harder to "off-load" your puppies if these practises were illegal...no doubt about it!

    But it is peoples mindset that needs to be altered. Puppies are not just some object bought at Bunnings to be disposed off when you feel like it!

  8. #438
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CleasantasLittleHelper View Post
    We have already had those discussions in another thread "Ban of Dogs/Cats in Pet shops" re stopping pet shops from selling pets...stopping ads on sites like Gumtree and through the Classifieds. OF COURSE it would make it harder to "off-load" your puppies if these practises were illegal...no doubt about it!

    But it is peoples mindset that needs to be altered. Puppies are not just some object bought at Bunnings to be disposed off when you feel like it!
    Maybe you misunderstood me, I didn't say make it illegal to sell in pet shops, gumtree etc (although there definitely is an argument for that without a doubt). I said make it financially and legally more difficult for people to sell animals full stop. Hit people in their pockets and maybe they will think twice about it. I agree people's mind set definitely need to change and I do agree with educating the public on puppy mills, definitely. Unfortunately there are unscrupulous people out there who, sadly, won't care about where their puppy came from. (See Myf's post about her friend who would not listen to her about puppy farms and pet shop)

    AS I said, if people had to register with the council BEFORE they buy a puppy at least that may curb impulse buys, It's all part of encouraging people to THINK before they buy.
    The best things in life, aren't things

  9. #439

    Default Grrr, attitude

    OMG, it is true it isn't Xmas it is the silly season. I have been following this thread and sorry it has become a bitch session and I can't believe you people are grownups. Nattylou and Peter pls beg to differ and both accept either parties are entittled to their own opinions. No-ones opinion is greater than anothers.

    P.s This forum was correctly named GRRR- attitude is everywhere

  10. #440
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mackenzie View Post
    OMG, it is true it isn't Xmas it is the silly season. I have been following this thread and sorry it has become a bitch session and I can't believe you people are grownups. Nattylou and Peter pls beg to differ and both accept either parties are entittled to their own opinions. No-ones opinion is greater than anothers.

    P.s This forum was correctly named GRRR- attitude is everywhere
    You're amazing.
    Education not Legislation

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •