Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 547

Thread: GRRR the Attitude is Everywhere!

  1. #171
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dingoofus View Post
    Well there are alot of stockman out there who breed certain dogs depending on the job, for example alot will breed blue heelers back with kelpies to give em the extra toughness to deal with cattle, whiel also giving it endurance. Alot of people will cross the kelpie with their border collie strain if they think they need a dog more hardier for the heat, yet, has the bc thriving to be told what to do. There are alot of of reasons why people cross their dogs for herding. The reason we have breeds liek the kelpie and blue heeler in the first place is due to cross breeding.
    Sure...they will breed because they need a new dog....what happens to the rest of the litter of...lets say...10 puppies?!?!?!? Will it be them who end up at the shelter when they are not loved or needed anymore???

  2. #172
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,014

    Default

    Sorry Cleasanta I wasn't very clear, Griffen is not going to be bred from

  3. #173
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wodonga
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peter70 View Post
    Good to see you answered my questions on your breeding Cleasanta. One more you might like to answer perhaps. When you do breed do you sell your pups or do you give them away to other people interested in bettering the breed?

    Occy, what would you be biting at?

    It does seem pointless calling this website "Australian Purebreed and Crossbreed dog forum" It seems in Occy's opinion crossbreeds are only bred for the pound. God help anyone who's buys a dog for companionship.
    nothing again living cross breds - lots of ppl here own them, I have before and will again own them and I know lots of great dogs - I just believe that if there was no indiscriminant breeding - pure bred or not - we would not have issues.

    I am not the forum owner - I am just a member and I am entitled to my opinion. I don't think there is a point to breeding x breds but why discriminate against those already alive?

    I buy my dogs for companionship but I am aware that they have certain needs being the breed they are and I use that as part of our relationship. I would hate to think any dog was kept indoors simply to keep someone company 24/7. Even the elderly around here take their dogs for a walk at least once a day.

    Whilst your questions were not aimed at me - I will answer them anyway. I am not a breeder but hope to be one some day. I have been researching my breed for 12 years and am waiting on the right dog with breeding that I wish to have because of healthy, temperament, looks and ability! I will health test my dog and if it does not stack up - it will be desexed and i will have a wonderful pet.

    Would I give pups away? Hell no - well perhaps to a couple of friends in the dog world who were working on preserving and bettering the breed - but if you want a dog, I am going to recoup some of my costs and try to weed out those who just want a dog for a BYB or guard dog. That is - if I had a bitch.

    I'm considering getting a husky on breeders terms - means that they can have another breeding dog as they can't have another male on their property. This would mean I wouldn't pay for the dog - I would pay it's vet bills and food and it would be my dog in every way but legally on paper.

  4. #174

    Default

    alot of stockman will have anywhere up to ten plus dogs at once, because they are so valuable, and valuable working dogs get snatched up quickly. No one would give up a dog which is worth 2 or more men in a worknig situation.
    Ask a Border Collie to jump and it'd say, "how high?", ask a Kelpie and he'll ask, "why?"

  5. #175
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tkay View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong because I do not profess to be an expert but isn't this exactly what the ANKC do. Don't they decide to change the way a dog should look which is why some breeds have changed over the years, not always to the benefit of the dog.

    With regard to the health testing i was quite clearly in support of this and think ALL breeding should be registered and health testing should be carried out including Crossbreeds. So completely agree with you on that.

    Yes, I agree the majority of dogs clogging up the pounds are crossbreeds, a large amount being SBT crosses from my research, which is why I support what I said above, some kind of regstration for ALL breeders, not flaming all crossbreeds. If you make it financially more difficult for people to breed/sell their dogs then less people would do it. Crossbreeding has bought some very successful breeds which are almost a breed in themselves. If crossbreeding hadn't happened years ago we wouldn't have the breeds we have now.

    There are reasons other than financial to breed crossbreeds. If it was regulated and done correctly you can get some fantastic dogs.
    Yes...the ANKC changes the breed standard...not individual breeders to their likings!

  6. #176
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wodonga
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bordeaux View Post
    He hasn't been shown (I'm not interested in showing at the moment).
    He's not breeding quality, his hips aren't great (they're too straight)

    I know everyone is going to say desex him, but if I do or not it's up to me. I've spoken to my vet about it and we've actually been told if he's not showing behavoral (sp?) problems then not to put him under the stress of the operation, I'll admit this did surprise me quite a bit.
    What stress? It's a nip and tuck with internal stitches these days. Get him desexed IMO.

    Poor little barely 2kg Einstein is getting the chop in a month - not because I want to leave it, but because I will be away over the new year break. No question as to whether he loses his nads or not - he is a moggie and there are too many of them around. not a dog - but still a fragile young animal

  7. #177
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Occy View Post
    Main x breds you find depends on the area - renbury has mostly gsd x, staffy x and kelpie/heeler x

    Many of the dogs on the border seems to be of the fluffy variety - as well as staffy x

    Melbourne seems to have its fair share of kelpie and heeler x

    but outstanding in all these places is the swf x - malt/shih or oodle - cause they stop being cute

    i know a woman who just bought a second oodle - impulse buy naturally - and all she could do was go on and on - it's so cute, and it sleeps like this - and it does this - - imo she is a typical swf oodle owner - she wants a child not a dog - dogs are not replacement children.
    Definitely mostly Staffie crosses up here. I just checked the local rescue and not a single oodle or swf. I honestly cannot remember ever seeing an oodle on there. Here is a link

    SCARS Dogs

    You seem to contradict yourself with your last 2 paragraphs. In the last one you describe and very loving (albeit OTT) owner who will love their oodle till the day it dies.????
    The best things in life, aren't things

  8. #178
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wodonga
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    Sure...they will breed because they need a new dog....what happens to the rest of the litter of...lets say...10 puppies?!?!?!? Will it be them who end up at the shelter when they are not loved or needed anymore???
    Why bother - drowning or shooting is cheaper than driving to the shelter. Perhaps no one ON THIS FORUM does that - but plenty of farmers will. A working dog is not a pet - just as hunting hound (think royal hounds not pet dogs) or pig dog is not a pet - it is purely a working dog. A good pet should have those instincts as well as the abilty to live within a family group.

    I love the GSD because it is specifically bred to do all those things - guard, hunt and live with people

  9. #179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Occy View Post
    Why bother - drowning or shooting is cheaper than driving to the shelter. Perhaps no one ON THIS FORUM does that - but plenty of farmers will. A working dog is not a pet - just as hunting hound (think royal hounds not pet dogs) or pig dog is not a pet - it is purely a working dog. A good pet should have those instincts as well as the abilty to live within a family group.

    I love the GSD because it is specifically bred to do all those things - guard, hunt and live with people
    You are wrong, working dogs can be pets, and they are well loved by their owners, perhaps dogs owned by stockman are most loved, because the stockman knows without the dogs, they would not eat at night. Alot of people in rural areas will feed their dogs better than themselves, and seek medical help for their dogs before they themselves would go for help.
    Ask a Border Collie to jump and it'd say, "how high?", ask a Kelpie and he'll ask, "why?"

  10. #180
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Occy View Post
    I don't think the dogs alive should be punished - but I would like to see every dog not used as part of a genuine breeding program desexed by the time it is 1 - for a small dog - and 18 months for a large dog
    I second this. I never said I "hated" already excisting cross breeds, because then I would have hated my rescued GSD/Staffy boy. He was a gorgeous boy and died of cancer at THE AGE OF 6!!!!! A devastating blow to me and my family....not to mention for REX!

    If I EVER wanted another X bred dog...I would be off to the rescue organisations and save one of those poor little guys...being bred from irresponsible people!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •