Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: Buying a puppy, what is the price?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rural Western Australia
    Posts
    2,634

    Default

    Sounds exciting for you! cant help you with the fleas or ticks. Too darn dry and hard out here for fleas and we dont get paralysis ticks. I just give heartworm.

    On the the subject of food although I used to give puppy food in the past I no longer give my puppies puppy food and I like to grow them out lean. I usualy use a mix of Adult Wellness, Wellness core or Blackhawk and a commercial BARF. They are working dogs and seem to thrive on this.

    In the past my puppies did well on puppy food too.

  2. #22

    Default

    'NewBee' - I am not sure that you are doing the right thing putting your name down with heaps of breeders for a puppy. I know it is not the way I would do it.

    It took me 3 years of searching for my present pup. I did all the contacting and met with different breeders. I looked at heaps of dogs and then made a shortlist. It came down to the health testing of the parents and whether I liked/trusted the breeder.

    I hope you are not in a rush to get your puppy !

    Why not go to some dog shows and activities, met the breeders and look at all their dogs ? Ask heaps of questions and explain to them why you would be an excellent owner of one their pups. Don’t do it just once. Forming a relationship with a breeder before your pup comes homes is very important, as far as I am concerned.

    Some links for you:

    Dogs NSW - Shows and Trials Guide

    The Japanese Spitz Club of NSW - Home

    Breed Standard - The Japanese Spitz Club of NSW

    Do you have your heart set on a puppy ? A rescue may interest you ?

    https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sour...itz+rescue+nsw

    Sometimes a breeder needs to re-home dogs and here is good link to keep an eye out for them:

    Japanese Spitz Dogs for Sale from Registered Breeders at Dogz Online

    I know it is an exciting time for you – but please don’t get concerned about food, flea, tick and worming brands ATM.

    Always be guided by what your breeder does and suggests. They know their own lines best and know what works for them.

    Most puppies come home with a puppy pack with food and written instructions on what you do and don’t do with a brand new puppy. You always follow what the breeder has been feeding the pups. Upset tummies on very young puppies can be dangerous because of dehydration.

    Have fun in your search for your puppy and I am really pleased ‘mitte’ was able to help you.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rural Western Australia
    Posts
    2,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RileyJ View Post
    'NewBee' -
    Always be guided by what your breeder does and suggests. They know their own lines best and know what works for them.

    Most puppies come home with a puppy pack with food and written instructions on what you do and don’t do with a brand new puppy. You always follow what the breeder has been feeding the pups. Upset tummies on very young puppies can be dangerous because of dehydration.

    Have fun in your search for your puppy and I am really pleased ‘mitte’ was able to help you.
    Yes I think this is good advice when puppy comes home, but I have not always been keen on what the breeder has been feeding so it is good to do some research while waiting. I once had a breeder give me complicated instructions with all these vitamin supplements and a brand of dog food that I wasnt keen on so that went out the window. My last working breeder was pretty good and asked her pup owners what they would be feeding and got in the brands for the pups to be weaned on so their tummies were used to what they were going to. Mind you the prospective owners were all experienced working dog owners so possibly a bit different. She understood that we all have our favourite brands and ways of feeding our working dogs and worked with us to reduce any problems. None of us fed puppy formulations so that wasnt a complication. I thought that was fantastic. There was no problem at all when my pup came home.
    Last edited by Kalacreek; 05-17-2015 at 11:56 AM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    Newbee

    If you were sending your first born child to boarding school - you'd want to check it out in person, talk to other people who have sent their kids there etc? Yes?

    So that's the same for a responsible Japanese Spitz breeder - top of their list for puppy homes (boarding schools) would be places they've had a thorough opportunity to get to know the people who run the place. Face to face.

    So if you want the best possible puppy soonest - you need to meet as many breeders face to face as you can. Putting your name for waiting on every single breeder's list - isn't going to be popular with some. They'd like to know that they're the best for you, and you're the best for them and one of their puppies. So go meet some at a show or club get together. Make friends - find out who you click with because you will want their support... Who do you think is going to get the first puppy? The one who emailed, or the one who met face to face...

    And you might also want to ask when they're likely to have another litter. Eg Mitte - he's just retired one of his breeding bitches and it could be over a year before his other one is available for breeding again. Ie no point buying flea stuff now.

    As far as I know - Revolution does not do ticks and if you live in a tick area - it won't be enough.

    Frontline advantix - does do ticks sort of but is no substitute for the all over feel up test, and also teaching your dog to bark on command - because losing the bark is one of the first signs of tick infestation - before wobbly back end and paralysis sets in.

    I was using revolution + canex for worms (comes with the revolution 6 month pack), but I've changed to sentinel which is a monthly chew - no having to put 3 pink pills inside peanut butter inside a sardine for dosing - but it comes with capstar flea treatment - kind of like a flea bomb if your dog is already infested. Mine isn't/wasn't/hasn't ever been that I know of.

    Again food, tick treatment, training etc - are all things a breeder can help you. To get a head start - go meet the breeders and see what they're doing. I started my dog on advance puppy food - which she was probably getting at the AWL, and after about 8 months or so I swapped to Nutro Natural Choice because my dog was getting the runs on advance. My uncle feeds his dogs advance and they do fine on it.

    I later swapped to black Hawk holistic which we also do fine on. Thinking about swapping back to nutro natural choice because Black hawk isn't as good as it used to be in terms of kibble integrity - it just falls apart in the pack these days. I didn't really plan on feeding her dog food "powder".

    And I make my own dog food casserole too.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rural Western Australia
    Posts
    2,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    Newbee

    Thinking about swapping back to nutro natural choice because Black hawk isn't as good as it used to be in terms of kibble integrity - it just falls apart in the pack these days. I didn't really plan on feeding her dog food "powder".

    And I make my own dog food casserole too.
    I wonder why that is? Fortunately all my Black Hawk to date has been fine, no loss of integrity.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Toowoomba, QLD
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Just be careful with 'combination' wormers as a lot of them (revolution, advocate, panoramis etc) do not treat tapeworm. We used to use sentinel - it is fantastic, it treats intestinal worms (including tapeworm), heartworm and fleas - our dogs visit the park daily and have always been 'flea free'. Now we treat with milbemax monthly (treats all intestinal worms and heartworm) and then give a nexgard tablet monthly too, which treats fleas and paralysis ticks (we are in a tick area). So far so good!

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    2,788

    Default

    Regarding contacting lots of breeders. Thats what I did when I was looking for an Aussie Shepherd, I emailed 10 or so breeders, told them about myself and what I was wanting in a dog and then asked if they have/will have any pups that may suit what I'm looking for. 9/10 breeders seemed very happy with me, and were eager to help me find a dog to suit what I was looking for (many also recommended other breeders who were having pups sooner than they were). One breeder had pups at the time and that is how I found Koda.

    The breeder who didn't want to help me probably got cheesed off because I had specified a colour preference... at the time, I did not know that specifying a colour is a no no...

    But over all my experience of contacting various breeders was not a bad one...

    Next time I buy from a registered breeder, I'll probably still contact a few to learn about them, I'd also like to meet their dogs. I'd probably put more thought into it next time than I did the first time, but I don't particularly see a problem with being on the waiting list for a few breeders if you are happy with their dogs in terms of health/temperament. However there are breeders out there who don't like it when someone puts themselves on a waiting list everywhere...

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rural Western Australia
    Posts
    2,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maddogdodge View Post
    Regarding contacting lots of breeders. Thats what I did when I was looking for an Aussie Shepherd, I emailed 10 or so breeders, told them about myself and what I was wanting in a dog and then asked if they have/will have any pups that may suit what I'm looking for. 9/10 breeders seemed very happy with me, and were eager to help me find a dog to suit what I was looking for (many also recommended other breeders who were having pups sooner than they were). One breeder had pups at the time and that is how I found Koda.

    The breeder who didn't want to help me probably got cheesed off because I had specified a colour preference... at the time, I did not know that specifying a colour is a no no...

    But over all my experience of contacting various breeders was not a bad one...

    Next time I buy from a registered breeder, I'll probably still contact a few to learn about them, I'd also like to meet their dogs. I'd probably put more thought into it next time than I did the first time, but I don't particularly see a problem with being on the waiting list for a few breeders if you are happy with their dogs in terms of health/temperament. However there are breeders out there who don't like it when someone puts themselves on a waiting list everywhere...

    I think some breeders can just be too precious. When I am looking for a breeder I will ring up quite a few and do my own process of elimination. Heck I am the one forking out the money and I have certain expectations and requirements that I need to be met. I am just as hell bent on interviewing the breeder and I expect them to interview me too.

    For my working dogs I dont much care about colour these days but there one time when I was looking for a red cattle dog as I liked having one red and one blue and I had every right to want a specific colour, the breeders were not in the slightest bit concerned about that. I can offer a pup a good home and it is their loss and their perogative to think whatever they like about me as it is mine to do what suits me to find what I want when looking for a pup.

    It is much harder when you are new, but now I am pretty specific and I know what I want.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RileyJ View Post
    'NewBee' - I am not sure that you are doing the right thing putting your name down with heaps of breeders for a puppy. I know it is not the way I would do it.

    It took me 3 years of searching for my present pup. I did all the contacting and met with different breeders. I looked at heaps of dogs and then made a shortlist. It came down to the health testing of the parents and whether I liked/trusted the breeder.

    I hope you are not in a rush to get your puppy !

    Why not go to some dog shows and activities, met the breeders and look at all their dogs ? Ask heaps of questions and explain to them why you would be an excellent owner of one their pups. Don’t do it just once. Forming a relationship with a breeder before your pup comes homes is very important, as far as I am concerned.

    Some links for you:

    Dogs NSW - Shows and Trials Guide

    The Japanese Spitz Club of NSW - Home

    Breed Standard - The Japanese Spitz Club of NSW

    Do you have your heart set on a puppy ? A rescue may interest you ?

    https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sour...itz+rescue+nsw

    Sometimes a breeder needs to re-home dogs and here is good link to keep an eye out for them:

    Japanese Spitz Dogs for Sale from Registered Breeders at Dogz Online

    I know it is an exciting time for you – but please don’t get concerned about food, flea, tick and worming brands ATM.

    Always be guided by what your breeder does and suggests. They know their own lines best and know what works for them.

    Most puppies come home with a puppy pack with food and written instructions on what you do and don’t do with a brand new puppy. You always follow what the breeder has been feeding the pups. Upset tummies on very young puppies can be dangerous because of dehydration.

    Have fun in your search for your puppy and I am really pleased ‘mitte’ was able to help you.
    Mmm, yeah I see your point. But the thing is I'm a first time puppy owner, so even if I was to go to the shows to look at the show dogs, to be honest I don't really know what I should be looking for (apart from their cuteness xD). And this is why I have contacted the breeders and have put my name on the list. Btw the breeders who I have my name on the waiting list are the reputable ones, so there shouldn't be much problems. I will also be asking questions and will request to visit and view the parents once they confirm there will be a litter soon.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    9

    Default

    As for the treatments, I think I will have to do more research, and maybe try the different brands myself once I have a puppy. But thanks for the suggestions guys, really helps!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •