Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Anaphalaxis

  1. #1

    Default Anaphalaxis

    Our Dog Roley is 9 Months of age and we think he got stung by a bee the other day. We had just come back from a walk and was preparing breakfast when Rod said "what is that lunatic doing?" he'd seen him leap about. I went and checked him and he looked to be biting his paw. Next minute Roley walks in and leans on my husband then loses control of his bowels and slowly sank to the floor. We were like WTF! He then started heaving and vomiting and had a very sluggish heart rate. The outcome was that we rushed to the vets with the dog vomiting heavily in the back of the car. Luckily a vet could see Roley immediately and she said that she suspected that he had been stung by a bee and had an anaphalatic reaction to it.

    Anyway after 4 hours on a saline drip and medicated with Cortisone and antihistamines a very subdued Roley was allowed home. With us $426 lighter in the pocket.... thank goodness for pet insurance!

    So just a warning, this is apparently the time of year that lots of pets get stung so be aware!

    Cheers

  2. #2

    Default

    My old dog used to chase and snap at bees all the time. I always wondered what would happen if he ever got stung. We never had any problems with him though except one time when a lump grew on the side of his snout to the size of a small grape (not sure if that was a bee, but probably was).

    He still loved to chase bees after that.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    My dog has been stung quite a few times. So far she's not had a severe reaction, even the time she shoved her nose up a bee bum and ended up looking like a bull terrier. I got the sting out, and put ice on her schnoz... and she kept breathing fine so while I phoned the vet for advice, we didn't need to go in.

    She still has difficulty telling the difference between bees and flies. And we've had a lot of sick bees that can't fly properly on the ground lately... not good. It's really important to find the sting and remove it so it can't keep pumping the toxin in.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goggles View Post
    My old dog used to chase and snap at bees all the time. I always wondered what would happen if he ever got stung. We never had any problems with him though except one time when a lump grew on the side of his snout to the size of a small grape (not sure if that was a bee, but probably was).

    He still loved to chase bees after that.
    Yes we used to have a Labrador like that, lumps on the side of her snout. But this dog is such a prima donna!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •