Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: Help me choose - pleeeaaase!

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    I bought one of Cesar Millan's books
    I didn't know he had put books out. I hate what he does on the TV show and all that crap about alpha and dominance. He observes dogs but makes conclusions that don't seem valid to me. And the "alpha roll" thing he does is responsible for a hell of a lot of dog bites or at best - traumatised and frightened dogs.

    As for trying to rehab a dog from shelter? Does that mean a perfectly confident and healthy dog gets PTS because you took the hard case? I would always pick the friendly outgoing healthy one.

    David Mech - the Original "alpha wolf" researcher brings you an update

    wolves as pack animals

    how to pick a shelter dog

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    As for trying to rehab a dog from shelter? Does that mean a perfectly confident and healthy dog gets PTS because you took the hard case? I would always pick the friendly outgoing healthy one.
    I very much agree with this. I appreciate there are some people who make it their quest to save the unsaveable, but they are a very special breed of people who usually have loads of time on their hands and (hopefully) lots of experience with behavioural issues, etc.

    It is important to look for a dog that suits your lifestyle and character - as you seem to be wanting to do - as long as you accept that you will always have to adapt to the dog too and the perfect dog - that is unlikely to develop any bad habits - does not exist.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Geelong, Vic
    Posts
    871

    Default

    The breeds you have chosen do not suit your skill level nor what you want in a dog.

    Start with a small companion breed that does not have a difficult nature. Honestly, something like a pug or cavalier king charles would be a good start. Cavs can be active little dogs, highly trainable without being aggressive or pushy and you can keep the coat short. They're not yappy, neither are pugs and for your budget you can afford to get better quality stuff as they will not eat as much.

    Pharoah hounds are still very primitive and a specialised breed, hard to train. Molloser breeds should be reserved for those with experience in large powerful breeds or it can turn pear shaped very quickly and the costs can be astronomical. They eat a lot, everything they need is bloody expensive as it has to be supersized. Trust me I had both a Rottweiler and a Dogue de Bordeaux, every cost suddenly double-triples because of their size.

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nekhbet View Post
    The breeds you have chosen do not suit your skill level nor what you want in a dog.

    Start with a small companion breed that does not have a difficult nature. Honestly, something like a pug or cavalier king charles would be a good start. Cavs can be active little dogs, highly trainable without being aggressive or pushy and you can keep the coat short. They're not yappy, neither are pugs and for your budget you can afford to get better quality stuff as they will not eat as much.

    Pharoah hounds are still very primitive and a specialised breed, hard to train. Molloser breeds should be reserved for those with experience in large powerful breeds or it can turn pear shaped very quickly and the costs can be astronomical. They eat a lot, everything they need is bloody expensive as it has to be supersized. Trust me I had both a Rottweiler and a Dogue de Bordeaux, every cost suddenly double-triples because of their size.
    The dogs I looked after were hunting dogs, big eaters, boisterous, strong and stocky and I managed them fairly well, that is unless their dominant instincts (weren't desexed, mostly males, female didn't care) kick in full bore and they wanted to challenge each other.... BUT other than that, I can understand where you're coming from, it would be a challenge to raise one of those breeds. I do love large dogs though and living on my own (with my cat) it's a good feeling having a large dog sitting next to me at night. My partner works away and it's likely that'll continue for another year or two, so having a larger four legged guardian would certainly be awesome. I have certainly thought about smaller breeds, like the pug, and also Shitzu and Maltese. But I do have a keen eye for the Boston Terrier , though the cost of getting one to where I live and the health problems, like loss of mobility in the legs, are a worry for me.

    (Hoping this is making sense, feeling on the verge of falling asleep. Sorry guys! )

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Geelong, Vic
    Posts
    871

    Default

    How about a french bulldog? There are a lot in rescue, we have one and they're awesome little dogs, real attitude packets.

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nekhbet View Post
    How about a french bulldog? There are a lot in rescue, we have one and they're awesome little dogs, real attitude packets.
    I was researching them last night actually. I'm worried the heat up her in FNQ might be a bit much.

  7. #17

    Default

    'Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun' - isn't that how it goes - particularly up there in FNQ ?

    It is definitely doable with this breed of pup ! A bit of common sense will go a long way !

    Just keep the pup - trim, taut, fit and terrific ! A kid's paddle pool is great fun, plus keeps the pup cool. Water ice blocks are great also !

    Good Luck !

  8. #18

    Default

    The only other problem with getting a Frenchie is the cost... I'm seeing upwards of $2500... Holy moly! And I understand a lot of pups cost this much for other purebreds, but I have seen a purebred pup from a breeder listed as under $1000 for limited register, I believe it was $850.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    melbourne australia
    Posts
    3,082

    Default

    I seriously doubt if a french bulldog could cope with heat in FNQ
    and heat stroke in a dog that too heavy to lift into water to cool rapidly, is dangerous first aid situation you dont want to be in anywhere in QLD, let alone Far North. Vet 200 miles away kinda scenario.

    for same reason, no go for SBT, Rotties, Bordeaux's

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    I seriously doubt if a french bulldog could cope with heat in FNQ
    and heat stroke in a dog that too heavy to lift into water to cool rapidly, is dangerous first aid situation you dont want to be in anywhere in QLD, let alone Far North. Vet 200 miles away kinda scenario.

    for same reason, no go for SBT, Rotties, Bordeaux's
    Frenchies look like this:

    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=f...&bih=909&dpr=1

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •