Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Sultanas

  1. #1

    Default Sultanas

    Hi all,

    We got a fresh 8 week old puppy last night and today my nephew knocked over a box of sultanas which the dog started eating. She only ate a few (under 10) but the internet has scared us and we're not sure what to do.

    Our main worry is that she is very tiny (chihuahua x mini foxy) and hasn't eaten much since been home.

    Are we over protective parents already?

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Default

    'Simonr' - as the pup is brand new to you - I would be phoning a vet and see what they say. At least that will put your mind at rest.

    Good Luck.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    melbourne australia
    Posts
    3,082

    Default

    isnt a 8 wk chihuaha x the size of a raisin?

    Call your vet dude, you're going there this week anyway for a welfare check. May as well go earlier and be reasssured.

  4. #4

    Default

    Yeah not far from the size of a raisin.

    Cheers for the help, we spoke to the vet and they said that she should be fine and just to monitor her.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    One emergency vet I spoke to suggested giving my dog an emetic made of salt water - ie pouring as much of that down her throat until she started up chucking.

    Turned out about 1/4 cup of near saturated salt solution (but seawater concentration is good) started her up chucking... and put her off eating pegs for a very very long time. In fact, I think it's pretty much cured her of peg eating.

    If the object they've swallowed is not spikey - the vomit treatment is a good option. There are a number of different ways of achieving it.

    But for a few raisins or grapes - I'd be keeping watch and waiting. For a big lump of strapping tape - off to the vet pronto for the vomit treatment because that stuff causes blockages which causes major problems.

    Different story if puppy had managed to eat most of a 250gm pack of raisins.

    You might consider investing in some roo jerky or raw hide chews... should last a chi x puppy a long time of happy chewing...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    Things like this can affect some dogs but not others so it is always a good idea to contact a vet till you know.
    I once had a dog who loved eating bunches of grapes off a grapevine and never had problems but the vine went anyway. It was down the back and untended.

    Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

  7. #7

    Default

    'Simonr' - how is your little pup today ?

  8. #8

    Default

    Yeah she is absolutely fine, all her stools have been firm and no abnormal behaviour so i think we are off the hook.

    Cheers for the advice

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    melbourne australia
    Posts
    3,082

    Default

    Glad this panic is over.
    wonder what pup will throw at you next.
    such fun! lol

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •