Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 50

Thread: Going for Job Interview

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    The applicant after me was a fat, frumpy lady with a huge stomach, the worst colour clashing clothes and a bung eye. I couldn't tell where she was looking. I felt bad all the way home for thinking that, but hey, let's be serious.
    Crossing fingers!!!

    This reminds me of a time where I had to buy some clothes for a wedding. We went from shop to shop...I am really fussy about what I want to wear!

    We entered a shop and here is this lady...her clothes looked like she was wearing a potato sack...hair was greasy and no people skills.

    Needless to say...I didn't buy any clothes there and thought...if she can't dress herself...how on earth will she be able to give me ANY advice!!!

  2. #22

    Default

    As an ex-recruiter, I have to say .... sounds really good. A prospective employer will have made up their mind about you within 3 minutes of meeting you. The fact that the I/V went for an hour is a very good sign. If they didn't like you, you would have been out of their office/work space within 15 minutes. Essentially, the bottom line is .. despite the "required skill set" of any job, people hire people that they like.

    How did the interviewer leave the conversation ? Seeing as it's a "sales position", I'd be inclined to do a follow up call with "Thank you for the opportunity of meeting with you today. Is there any thing else you need to know about my qualifications, background & experience that will assist with making your decision easier ?"

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    Crossing fingers!!!

    This reminds me of a time where I had to buy some clothes for a wedding. We went from shop to shop...I am really fussy about what I want to wear!

    We entered a shop and here is this lady...her clothes looked like she was wearing a potato sack...hair was greasy and no people skills.

    Needless to say...I didn't buy any clothes there and thought...if she can't dress herself...how on earth will she be able to give me ANY advice!!!
    Yeah, that's gross. Part of me feels bad for discriminating, but out in he public eye, presentation is imperative IMO. This woman smiled at me, and I honestly didn't know where to look.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GSDs4Ever View Post
    As an ex-recruiter, I have to say .... sounds really good. A prospective employer will have made up their mind about you within 3 minutes of meeting you. The fact that the I/V went for an hour is a very good sign. If they didn't like you, you would have been out of their office/work space within 15 minutes. Essentially, the bottom line is .. despite the "required skill set" of any job, people hire people that they like.

    How did the interviewer leave the conversation ? Seeing as it's a "sales position", I'd be inclined to do a follow up call with "Thank you for the opportunity of meeting with you today. Is there any thing else you need to know about my qualifications, background & experience that will assist with making your decision easier ?"
    True. I tried sending a letter when I got home to the fax number for the head office who are making the decision. That's where applicants had to send or fax their details to in the first place - but their fax isn't on at the moment.

    Will keep trying. Thanks for advice GSD's!!!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Glad to hear it went well DA

    Hope you get the good news phonecall soon

    www.healthy4paws.com.au
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    True. I tried sending a letter when I got home to the fax number for the head office who are making the decision. That's where applicants had to send or fax their details to in the first place - but their fax isn't on at the moment.

    Will keep trying. Thanks for advice GSD's!!!
    Good. If you want that job, now's the time to "scmooze". Before you retry sending, get on the phone & find out the person's name (if you don't know it already) who is the decision maker. Address your letter to that person. Apart from thanking them for their time, tell them, why you would be an asset to the company ... what's in it for them to hire you. Maybe try getting an email address to send if the fax number is on the fritz.

    Remember ... this is a sales job you're going for ..... time to "sell" yourself & knock those other applicants out of the race. Your inititive in being proactive to contact them will demonstrate the selling skills & ability to "close the deal" necessary for the job. Go get 'em girl !!!

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Thanks GSD's. Great advice! Hugs to you.

  8. #28

    Default

    No worries mate. Hope it helps. Keep us posted ... after you've got that letter off to HO of course. Go, go, go .... start typing & sending.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC
    Posts
    425

    Default

    When I wanted the job I am currently in I called them & asked if I could come in for half a day & work for them for free so we could both get a feel of whether we liked eachother & would work well together. Needless to say they loved the initiative & hired me the next day.

    www.healthy4paws.com.au
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Healthy4Paws View Post
    When I wanted the job I am currently in I called them & asked if I could come in for half a day & work for them for free so we could both get a feel of whether we liked eachother & would work well together. Needless to say they loved the initiative & hired me the next day.
    Actually, I DID put that in my application. I offered to spend a day working there at my own expense ' so they could further witness first-hand my suitability for the position.'

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •