Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 63

Thread: So What Do People Do for a Living?

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneygotpierced View Post
    Heart breaking stuff. May I ask how you deal with that sort of thing? I know you'd need to stay calm in an horrific situation. Do you have psychological training?

    Dogs are a fairly regular occurance unfortunately and i will always feel sad.

    Yep we do have time with a pyschologist as there is a very high number of suicides a year. Me personally i havent had to deal with one yet, however one of my fellow trainees had one about a month ago. Its not nice, it is however incredibly selfish. You just have to remember thats its not your fault, nothing you could have done would have prevented it.
    You also get counselling and time off.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,960

    Default

    I imagine it would be difficult beyond my comprehension. Just to horrible for me to face.
    Hopefully you won't have to deal with this. Perhaps not realistic (I don't know your hours) but perhaps hoping it won't happen is preferable to anticipating it will. Does that make sense?

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Netty

    How is your course going? Is Owen still one of the lecturers? Is Boyd still involved?

    I enjoyed the course, especially training for my complex skills exam.

    Good luck with your studies.

  4. #44

    Default

    Customs doesn't really interest me and the army is too dangerous IMO and would require me being away a lot. The canine police is really the "dream", I wouldn't be willing to settle for anything semi-similar.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    297

    Default

    at uni fulltime atm for teaching Primary but i work one day a week at a boutique doing random things from photographing pics (trying to get into that on the side) for her website, selling on the floor and so forth , the other days i work as a mystery shopped for appra which gives out licences to pubs and clubs and gyms for the music they play...

    when xmas and that comes around i also do a bit of cleaning for extra cash

    I don't particuarly like any of my jobs, but it pays the bills and works around Mii 6 being in school..

    Im a qualified hairdresser and nail tech too which comes in handy every so often..

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Liza View Post
    Customs doesn't really interest me and the army is too dangerous IMO and would require me being away a lot. The canine police is really the "dream", I wouldn't be willing to settle for anything semi-similar.
    Please don't take this as me trying to push the job on you, I just want to clear up some misconceptions. Yes, the army is more dangerous, but being a MWDH with the Air Force is far less so. You get posted to a base and your job is patrols and law enforcement on the base, front entry security, assisting in searches with the police, drug and dangerous goods detection when the aircraft come back in. Plus you still get to do the bite work, the training and the work with the dogs. Basically you would go away maybe once a year, but you are there to look after the base and the aircraft and the personnel.

    I wanted to become a Dog Handler for the Air Force but they won't allow me to do the work because of injuries to my knee and hip.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Liza View Post
    I want to be in the canine police one day! When I get my Ps for my manual license in 6 months I can officially go through the academy application process. But then I have to do like 2 years of regular duty and wait until a spot in the canine police opens up before I can apply for that.
    Which state are you in? I asked my hubby just the other day if the dog squad would interest him, he said it's really hard to get into here (don't know about everywhere else) as once someone gets into that section they stay there until they retire.

    Angela is right with the air force. My OH was in the RAAF for 6 years before joining the police and he never got moved around once. But yeah, people can get posted to different locations depending on what availabilities they have in your field.

  8. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Megan View Post
    Which state are you in? I asked my hubby just the other day if the dog squad would interest him, he said it's really hard to get into here (don't know about everywhere else) as once someone gets into that section they stay there until they retire.

    Angela is right with the air force. My OH was in the RAAF for 6 years before joining the police and he never got moved around once. But yeah, people can get posted to different locations depending on what availabilities they have in your field.
    Well that's disheartening I'm in WA

  9. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    Please don't take this as me trying to push the job on you, I just want to clear up some misconceptions. Yes, the army is more dangerous, but being a MWDH with the Air Force is far less so. You get posted to a base and your job is patrols and law enforcement on the base, front entry security, assisting in searches with the police, drug and dangerous goods detection when the aircraft come back in. Plus you still get to do the bite work, the training and the work with the dogs. Basically you would go away maybe once a year, but you are there to look after the base and the aircraft and the personnel.

    I wanted to become a Dog Handler for the Air Force but they won't allow me to do the work because of injuries to my knee and hip.
    Thanks for the explanation I don't really want to be tied down with the military and have to go away each year, but from your description it doesn't sound as bad as I thought it was. I'd still rather stick to the local police force.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Liza View Post
    Well that's disheartening I'm in WA
    As I said, that's here in SA. Could be different in other states. You may get lucky. Could maybe even put your name on the list as soon as you graduate from the academy and by the time you're finished your probation period a spot may have opened up.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •