Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Parramatta Eels

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2008
    A, A


    Eels too good for Bulldogs - NRL Premiership - Fox Sports

    Parramatta hold out Canterbury-Bankstown to claim 26-10 victory

    April 30, 2010 .A resurgent Parramatta scored their third successive NRL victory with a 26-10 triumph over Canterbury-Bankstown in a high-octane western Sydney derby at ANZ Stadium.

    The Eels ran in five tries, in their best performance of the season, against a Bulldogs side missing star forward Ben Hannant and the in-form Brett Morris through injury.

    Jarryd Hayne was instrumental for the Eels, scoring the match-sealing try in the 66th minute after a 45-metre run, as his side showed glimpses of the form that took them to last year's grand final.

    Krisnan Inu, Luke Burt, Joel Reddy and Kris Keating also went over for the Eels.

    Jamal Idris, who enjoyed a titanic battle with Timana Tahu in the centres and debutant Junior Tia-Kalifi crossed for the Bulldogs.

    Tries from Inu and Burt gave the Eels an 8-0 lead at halftime after the home side had been on the back foot for the most of the opening exchanges.

    However, some determined defence from Daniel Anderson's side repelled the Bulldogs, who also let themselves down with some poor handling when in good scoring positions.

    A magnificent 40-20 in the 12th minute from Michael Ennis was greeted with a huge roar from the Bulldogs supporters, but Kevin Moore's side failed to take advantage when Jarrad Hickey spilt the ball on the second tackle five metres from the Parramatta line.

    That reprieve galvanised the Eels with Inu opening the scoring in fine style in the 19th minute after acrobatically outjumping Tia-Kalifi in the right corner.

    After enjoying a sustained spell of pressure it was no surprise when the Eels did score again through some brilliance from the wily Burt, who latched onto his own grubber to touch down unopposed in the 27th minute.

    Parramatta extended their lead three minutes after the restart when Reddy rolled over in the right corner, with Hayne heavily involved as the ball went through several pairs of hands.

    The try came about in contentious circumstances after Steve Turner was adjudged to have dropped a high ball when it looked as if he had been tackled in the air.

    But six minutes later the Bulldogs were back in the game with a try out of nothing from Idris.

    It came about largely through the tenacity of Michael Ennis who dived full-length to charge down a Hayne kick and Idris reacted quickest to outpace Daniel Mortimer to the loose ball and score.

    However, Hayne put the game out of the Bulldogs' reach in the 65th minute, when he latched onto a Keating offload and race to the line late on, before Keating raced over in the dying seconds to add some gloss to the scoreline.

    A high shot from Fuifui Moimoi on former Eel Blake Green midway through the second period was the only blemish on a good night for Anderson's men.

    Anderson credited his side's defence for securing the win, but said he was delighted with the performance of Hayne, who scored his first try since the opening round of the last year's finals against St George Illawarra.

    "At North Queensland last week he produced a very professional performance," Anderson said.

    "And again tonight I thought he diffused kicks well and did a lot of donkey work and when he got into his sprint mode there ... he smoked everyone and that was pleasing for him to get his first try.''

    Anderson said the main reason for the NSW's star's subdued start to the season was down to teams doing more to prevent him from producing the brilliance of last season.

    "They are putting numbers on him but he is finding ways to come into the game but he is working for his teammates doing tough, hard work and stuff that isn't pleasing on the eye," he said.

    Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore said he was pleased with the efforts of his injury-hit outfit but conceded the failure to score early when Parramatta were on the back foot cost his side.

    "I thought we showed a lot of spirit, and in the simple parts of the game we were in it, but our execution let us down,'' he said.

    "With better execution you probably got in there at halftime with the game locked up, but they scored first and skipped away with the game."

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    South Coast NSW


    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    One word describes Melbourne Storm = CHEATS !!!!
    I'm loving all jokes & FB going around atm-

    * What has 26 legs and cannot climb a Ladder? Melbourne Storm

    *If you're going to the Grand final this year just wear shorts and a shirt, leave the Umbrella at home, there's no chance of a Storm this year.

    *Regretting not betting on the Melbourne Storm for wooden spoon! (apparently they they were paying in excess of $200 before this..)

    Jokes aside I really feel for the storm Supporters. I'd be devo if my club (Eels) came out with something like this.

  3. #23


    Quote Originally Posted by Sharoo View Post
    I'm loving all jokes & FB going around atm-

    * What has 26 legs and cannot climb a Ladder? Melbourne Storm

    *If you're going to the Grand final this year just wear shorts and a shirt, leave the Umbrella at home, there's no chance of a Storm this year.

    *Regretting not betting on the Melbourne Storm for wooden spoon! (apparently they they were paying in excess of $200 before this..)

    Jokes aside I really feel for the storm Supporters. I'd be devo if my club (Eels) came out with something like this.

    Penrith Panthers for me

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2008
    A, A


    Impressive Eels stun Manly - NRL Premiership - Fox Sports

    Parramatta continue recent resurgence with impressive win over Manly

    May 17, 2010

    He may have been named on the wing for New South Wales but a fullback masterclass from Jarryd Hayne has helped Parramatta to a 19-12 win over Manly at Brookvale Oval.

    Hayne, who was once again overlooked for the No.1 shirt by Blues selectors in favour of Kurt Gidley, was outstanding against the Sea Eagles in an absorbing encounter in front of a raucous home crowd.

    The reigning Dally M winner set up all three of his side's tries and was consistently involved in a fourth successive victory for a resurgent Eels.

    Both coaches had been forced into late changes at five-eighth with Manly's Kieran Foran and Parramatta's Kris Keating ruled out with injuries.

    Chris Bailey came in for Manly with Eels mentor Daniel Anderson handing a debut to 21-year-old Tim Humble.

    The Eels, fresh from a bye week, came racing out of the blocks and opened up an early 12-0 lead with Hayne playing a starring role in both of his side's tries, scored by Luke Burt and Feleti Mateo.

    The opener came after just three minutes when Hayne's pass eluded two Manly players and found Burt who strolled to the line.

    Hayne was once again the instigator for the Eels' second try with another superb pass that found an alert Mateo, who brushed aside Trent Hodkinson to score.

    Manly got themselves back into the game with a try 10 minutes from the interval from Steve Matai, who had earlier been placed on report for a high shot on Humble, following a mistake from Krisnan Inu.

    Inu was far too casual in dealing with a harmless-looking deep kick from Hodkinson, and was greeted with a swarm of Manly bodies who pushed him into touch.

    From the subsequent set of six Matai scored from close range.

    The second half continued in a similar pattern with the Eels starting the stronger with only a late tackle from Michael Robertson denying Joel Reddy.

    This was followed by a piece of brilliance from Jamie Lyon, another NSW starter for next week, who produced a miracle tackle to deny Humble.

    However, it was Anderson's side who always looked the more likely to score and with Hayne once again providing a peach of a pass, Luke Burt's grubber-kick was latched onto by former Manly halfback Jeff Robson to score.

    And a booming Burt field goal late on sealed the win, to give the Eels their first success at Brookvale since 2004.

    There was some drama at the end, with Tahu looking to pull up just on the final whistle clutching his hamstring.

    Tahu said he would be fit to face Queensland and revealed the problem was with his ankle which he had been carrying for two weeks.

    "It is just a bit of soreness, I did it during the Country game and the medical staff have been nursing me through it, but hopefully it will feel a bit better tomorrow,'' Tahu said.

    Anderson admitted that he felt Hayne should have been picked at fullback for the Blues and said the 22-year-old is hitting peak form ahead of the State of Origin.

    "I thought our middle of the field was exceptionally strong and we were very, very good for the whole game and took on their big men and did pretty well,'' Anderson said.

    "I thought Haynesy was excellent tonight, his kicking was big, and he got us into some good scoring positions.

    "Over the last four weeks he has been getting better and better in doing the tough stuff.''

    Hasler lamented his side's slow start to the game and said Parramatta were worthy winners.

    "It was a grinding affair ... I was disappointed with the way we started both halves and put ourselves under pressure, they came here prepared, had a gameplan and all credit to them, they got the win.''

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2008
    A, A


    GO THE MIGHTY EELS !!!!!!!!!!

    Eels too slippery for Storm - NRL Premiership - Fox Sports

    Parramatta beat Melbourne Storm 24-10 at Parramatta Stadium

    June 04, 2010

    Parramatta superstar Jarryd Hayne is in danger of missing State of Origin II after being put on report for head butting in the Eels' 24-10 win over Melbourne Storm.

    In an absorbing first meeting between the two sides since the grand final that never was - with Melbourne stripped of their 2009 premiership for repeated salary cap breaches - emotions which had been kept mostly in check for most of the night exploded midway through the second half.

    Hayne found himself in hot water after tangling with opposite Billy Slater, referee Tony Archer leaving the NSW Origin winger in little doubt as to how costly his 62nd minute blow to the head of his Australia teammate could become.

    "There's a lot to lose with the weeks leading up," Archer told Hayne during his caution, no doubt alluding to upcoming Origin matches.

    Hayne could find himself joined on the Origin sidelines by Slater as well, the Storm fullback sin-binned after retaliating with what appeared to be an elbow to the head of Hayne four minutes later.

    The incident wasn't put on report but will surely come under the watchful eye of the match review committee, Slater binned along with Eels halfback Daniel Mortimer after the incident sparked a brawl.

    Until the late ferocity, what was supposed to be a night of revenge for the Eels and their fans had been somewhat of an anti climax, with the 7572 fans on attendance one of the lowest gatherings for an NRL match this season.

    Though low in number they were boisterous, and they certainly found their voice when the players lost their tempers with coach Craig Bellamy copping an awful hammering from the faithful.

    The Storm jumped out to a 6-0 lead when Slater pounced on a Cooper Cronk grubber after seven minutes, but it was all the Eels from then on.

    Joel Reddy scored one try and set up another for Krisnan Inu to put the Eels up at the break, Reddy completing his double just before the hour mark to put the home side 16-6 ahead.

    A Luke Burt penalty goal after Storm prop Brett White was put on report for taking out Fuifui Moimoi off the ball extending the margin to two converted tries before Kris Keating and Greg Inglis scored amid the mayhem late in the game.

    Asked after the game whether he hoped Hayne would be cleared to play for NSW, Slater said:

    "I don't really care mate.

    "It's not up to me, there's people put in place to adjudicate on those things ... I'm not going to try and persuade people one way or the other.

    "Those things happen in a game of footy and you deal with them and you get on with them."

    His Storm teammate Brett Finch was in little doubt as to Hayne's guilt.

    "The action was there ... the replay didn't look good but I know Haynesy pretty well, that's not his go," Finch said.

    Parramatta coach Daniel Anderson was delighted with the win after the Eels had been held scoreless in their last two hours of football.

    He praised his side for their rugged approach to the game, but didn't think Hayne would be in any trouble for the hit, despite the lingering effect of carry-over points from a striking incident in last year's finals series.

    "I don't think they were out of control, a little tasty, it's a combative sport and that's sometimes how it goes," Anderson said.

    "I don't think there was too much in anything.

    "There was a stack of incidents out there that can be reviewed and scrutinised but in the end I don't think anyone's in serious pain - there's not much to it."

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2008
    A, A


    Hayne inspires Eels to victory - NRL Premiership - Fox Sports

    Parramatta courageously fight back from 22-0 down to defeat Penrith

    July 17, 2010

    Parramatta superstar Jarryd Hayne scored one brilliant try and had a hand in four of his side's others as the Eels came back from 22-0 down to run down Penrith in a CUA Stadium thriller.

    Hot on the heels of his three-try effort against North Queensland Cowboys last Monday, it was virtually Hayne 34-Penrith 28 as the champion fullback gave the blue and gold army hope of 2009 happening all over again.

    They may not have quite resurrected 2010 yet, but the Eels came back from the dead to equal their best ever comeback, running in six tries after the Panthers had scored the first four.

    Like a five-eighth, Hayne put Fuifui Moimoi and Jonathan Wright through holes for first half four-pointers.

    In the second 40, he kept the ball alive for Wright's second and then laid on the grubber for Krisnan Inu to casually dot down.

    But he saved the best for himself the 66th minute.

    In one of the classiest individual tries since, well, his effort against St George Illawarra in last year's finals series, Hayne collected a bomb on his own 10m line, swerved past at least four defenders and sprinted away to score under the posts.

    Parramatta's resurgence with last Monday's 36-24 win over the Cowboys had looked to have lasted one match after they fell behind to a red-hot Penrith.

    There was little evidence of that form in the first 20 minutes of the western Sydney derby as the physical Panthers ran riot in front of a record crowd of 22,582.

    Three tries from kicks and one from a Daniel Mortimer error had the Panthers flying before the momentum turned when Hayne stepped up.

    Four unanswered tries saw the Eels hit the front 24-22 in the 54th minute before Hayne's solo effort took the breathing space to eight points.

    Penrith made it a two-point game when Wade Graham collected the scraps of a Luke Walsh bomb in the 70th minute, but there was no denying the Parramatta momentum and Justin Horo iced the cake in the final minute.

    Penrith are now officially in their first hiccup since rounds two and three, when they last suffered back-to-back losses.

    For the Eels, it's deja vu.

    “He's been very good and he was good tonight,” Eels coach Daniel Anderson said of Hayne.

    “He's contributing and everyone else is contributing.

    “There were a lot of players who played a lot better.

    “He's extremely talented. I enjoy watching him.

    “I enjoy watching those big, big plays.

    “They are very exciting to watch and I see why the fans get pumped up.”

    Anderson said he was “shell-shocked” at 22-0 down, and co-captain Nathan Hindmarsh agreed.

    “I don't reckon I should be saying what I thought at 22-0,” Hindmarsh said.

    “I had a bit of a laugh with Nath Cayless on the way off. We thought we were looking down the barrel at 40-0 at one stage.”

    Panthers coach Matt Elliott said his side got distracted by their own early success.

    “Our application in the first 30 minutes was spot on then we got distracted by the scoreboard,” he said.

    “Our ability didn't diminish, our physical prowess didn't evaporate.

    “We just changed what we were thinking about and got a pretty bad-tasting lesson.”

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2008
    A, A


    Another Great Win By The Mighty Eels !!!!


    Brilliant Hayne destroys Bulldogs - NRL Premiership - Fox Sports

    Jarryd Hayne stars again as Parramatta beat Canterbury-Bankstown

    July 23, 2010

    Jarryd Hayne's brilliance reached a breathtaking new level on Friday night as the Parramatta superstar blew Canterbury-Bankstown off the park at ANZ Stadium.

    In one of the most incredible openings to an NRL match in memory, Hayne absolutely dominated to stun the crowd of 34,662 as the Eels notched a 32-16 win.

    He scored two tries in the first six minutes, one in the first set of the match, and had a hand in two more as the Eels raced out to a 28-4 halftime lead.

    To top it off, he produced one of the try saves of the season to snuff out a Canterbury revival with a desperate tackle on David Stagg in the 67th minute.

    Few believed Hayne could match his amazing feats of 2009, when he almost single-handedly led Parramatta to a grand final, but he appears ready to top them.

    His first try came when he bounced off one defender before swerving past another three to complete a typically classy 25m individual effort.

    His second was even better, creating the movement 70m out with a beautiful cut-out ball to Timana Tahu and then backing up to finish it.

    The NSW fullback celebrated both with what is becoming his "Hayne Plane" trademark - arms outstretched - with the "Hayne Train" metaphor no longer seeming enough for an emerging great.

    "He was as good in the defensive part of the game as he was in the offensive," Eels coach Daniel Anderson said.

    "I think Jarryd is definitely a catalyst for us as a team. If he smells confidence and exudes an aura of confidence then I think everyone gets a couple of inches taller."

    But the whirlwind start still caught Anderson by surprise.

    "The boys are very talented and they played to what their strengths were and they got a couple of quick play the balls and we got confident and away we went," he said.

    "It was a little bit the other way in the second half."

    Fans and commentators alike were already incredulous, aware they were watching one of the great performances in an NRL match, but Hayne wasn't done yet.

    In the 11th minute he threw a superb cut-out ball for Krisnan Inu's try and a 16-0 lead after 11 minutes.

    A Brett Kimmorley try in the 17th minute gave the shellshocked Bulldogs some hope but they were left shaking their heads again when Hayne was involved in Inu's second in the 25th minute for 22-4 before Ben Smith crossed in the 30th.

    The Dogs showed some fight after the break to make it 28-16 with tries to Ben Barba and Andrew Ryan, but a controversial stripping penalty 20m out from the Bulldogs' line halted the home side's momentum as the Eels grabbed a 14-point buffer through Luke Burt.

    Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore said his side had been "lethargic" in the opening passage.

    "When blokes are poking their heads through tackles and getting quick play the ball and the 10 metres is more like 14, the momentum is very hard to stop, particularly blokes of that prowess," he said.

    The Bulldogs' finals chances are now in the mathematical category, while a third straight victory for the Parramatta juggernaut could have the Eels in the eight at the end of the weekend.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2008
    A, A

    Thumbs up Back in the winners circle

    Eels' season still alive - NRL Premiership - Fox Sports

    Parramatta Eels' season still alive after tight win over Brisbane Broncos

    August 13, 2010

    A desperate Parramatta Eels outfit kept their NRL season alive with an entertaining 30-14 upset victory over a Darren Lockyer-less Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium.

    Needing to win to keep in touch with the top eight, Parramatta buried their second half fade out against Gold Coast Titans last weekend to hold off the Broncos.

    A spectacular individual try by veteran winger Luke Burt in the 72nd minute after he chipped over the head of Brisbane fullback Josh Hoffman stretched the Eels' lead to 24-14 before rookie Anthony Mitchell finished the job with a try on debut in the final minute.

    Parramatta's blue and yellow wall hung on desperately in the second half, denying Brisbane forward Sam Thaiday a try with four minutes remaining that would have set up a grandstand finish for the crowd of 38,193.

    Parramatta deserved the win with lock Feleti Mateo outstanding in attack along with fullback Jarryd Hayne who scored the opening try and was desperately unlucky not to get a double in the 58th minute.

    "We really dug deep," said Parramatta skipper Nathan Cayless whose 217th game as captain eclipsed the previous best by former Penrith and Roosters great Brad Fittler.

    "We played to our potential tonight, we've been disappointing.

    "We've kept our season alive.

    "We played some footy tonight, we'd got away from that a bit."

    Hayne's almost try was typically spectacular.

    After splitting the defence the fullback angles a clever chip kick past Brisbane opposite Josh Hoffman before regathering the ball and appearing to score a freakish try.

    Brisbane winger Antonio Winterstein did his best to stop Hayne from grounding the ball and after numerous looks from various angles video referee Sean Hampstead correctly ruled Hayne had failed to ground the ball.

    A try would have kicked Parramatta out to a 24-10 lead but instead, Brisbane scored five minutes later through forward Ben T'eo who cashed in on a great Shane Tronc off-load after he was swamped by four defenders.

    Brisbane appeared to miss Lockyer's guidance with stand-in pivot Matt Gillett having a quiet game.

    Eels coach Daniel Anderson, who went into the game unaware of rumours the club had sounded out Melbourne Storm assistant Stephen Kearney for next season, praised his players for bouncing back from a poor second half last week against the Titans.

    "We're pretty banged up in the dressing room, but we're happy," said Anderson who made special mention of Cayless's record as the most capped captain of a club.

    "Caylo (Cayless) has broken a record in the history of the game, it's not a little milestone, it's 112 years to be the longest serving captain of one club."

    Cayless, who was proud of the way his players dug in to keep their season afloat, said his teammates just kept turning up for each other.

    "Personal milestones are things you reflect on when you're retired, which is not too far away," said the Kiwi international.

    "It was just relieving to get a win and stay alive.

    Brisbane coach Ivan Henjak had few excuses.

    "They were good, they were desperate but we didn't execute some things," he said.

    "They were better than us."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts