Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Have U Always Been Besotted by Animals?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default Have U Always Been Besotted by Animals?

    Had my elderly mother over for tea last night and we're standing and looking at the puppies chatting away.

    She then went on to tell my hubby that he's lucky I'm still not dragging home every injured and stray animal like I used to. She then told him about the time I tried to save a bird I'd rescued from the jaws of next doors cat.

    It was years ago and she's fairly certain the bird in question was a myna bird, but being a little girl she didn't have the heart to tell me that you don't save them. I kept it in an old bird catch, caught flies and insects in my insect catcher, ground up beef etc and basically got it back onto its feet. Then after watching a Disney movie about a family that releases an eagle back into the wild I decided to do the same. The eagle was released on a cliff top and flew off into the wilds - a nice Disney ending.

    My cliff top was the upstairs balcony I tossed the bird up into the air and repeated the same words "fly be free" however unfortunately the birds flight feathers were damaged and it dropped to the ground right back into the jaws of next doors cat.

    Have you always been an animal lover? I know I was.
    Last edited by mouseandchicken; 01-29-2010 at 08:00 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mouseandchicken View Post
    Had my elderly mother over for tea last night and we're standing and looking at the puppies chatting away.

    She then went on to tell my hubby that he's lucky I'm still not dragging home every injured and stray animal like I used to. She then told him about the time I tried to save a bird I'd rescued from the jaws of next doors cat.

    It was years ago and she's fairly certain the bird in question was a myna bird, but being a little girl she didn't have the heart to tell me that you don't save them. I kept it in an old bird catch, caught flies and insects in my insect catcher, ground up beef etc and basically got it back onto its feet. Then after watching a Disney movie about a family that releases an eagle back into the wild I decided to do the same. The eagle was released on a cliff top and flew off into the wilds - a nice Disney ending.

    My cliff top was the upstairs balcony I tossed the bird up into the air and repeated the same words "fly be free" however unfortunately the birds flight feathers were damaged and it dropped to the ground right back into the jaws of next doors cat.

    Have you always been an animal lover? I know I was.
    Oh dear - I don't know whether to laugh myself silly or cry, so should possibly do both?

    Always been an animal lover, but found that it's much stronger with dogs than any other animal.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    aww thats a cute-tragic-cute-tragic-funny/tragic story lol

    I think I have always been an animal lover, a soft spot for dogs and cats. Grew up with dogs and want that same friendship for my own children.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,014

    Default

    I've always loved animals, wanted to grow up to be a vet or marine biologist (sp?)
    Unfortunaly wasn't good at school so both of those were out.

    I had lot of animals growing up. Cats, dogs, rats, birds, fish, yabbys and always wanted a horse. That kind of became an obsession to the point mom had to tell the staff at Kinda not to let me crawl around, eat grass or speak horse when I wanted something lol

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hawkesbury, NSW
    Posts
    2,001

    Default

    Yes I've always been an animal tragic too - my first memory is from when I was still in the pram - the fluffy white arse of our toy poodle that would sit on the cover, and would protect me if anyone approached! We had a cat too that I didn't have a lot to do with, he died when I was a toddler. We used to have all the neighbourhood dogs congregate in our backyard, all big dogs so I grew up used to staffords, GSDs, labs etc. Then we were given a chihuahua, he became my Pop's (grandfather) dog (big tough hard man lol), and we brought 2 cats over with us from NZ. Pop used to bring strays home just about weekly, and would try to find the owners or rehome them.

    I wanted a horse from when I was little, took me 40 years to realise my dream.

    In My Home Dog Minding
    www.greyhoundrescue.com.au

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    My first memory as an animal rescuer was when I was in 1. grade. I was walking to school and here was the little kitty sitting on the road. I picked it up and ran around from house to house...after much searching I finally found little kitty's home and was VERY late for school. I got into BIG trouble at school from being late though

  7. #7

    Default

    Always have had animals in my life, can't imagine not having an animal in my life.
    Cleaning up after sick humans makes me sick, looking after sick animals never makes me sick! Can't stand the smell of human babies, but don't mind the smell of puppies or kittens etc.
    Just love animals!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bohemiannic View Post
    Always have had animals in my life, can't imagine not having an animal in my life.
    Cleaning up after sick humans makes me sick, looking after sick animals never makes me sick! Can't stand the smell of human babies, but don't mind the smell of puppies or kittens etc.
    Just love animals!




    Do you mean babies nappies?Or babies in general??

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rebec View Post


    Do you mean babies nappies?Or babies in general??
    Babies in general, and throw-up as soon as I smell a soiled nappy 20 mtrs away!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bohemiannic View Post
    Babies in general, and throw-up as soon as I smell a soiled nappy 20 mtrs away!
    Oh lol

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •