Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 93

Thread: A Day at the Park..

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    I have just raised an accidental oops litter. The bitch was my father in law's and I took over, fed her well, whelped the pups, got cancer (me) had to put one of the pups through a rescue to find a good home instead of the pound where he may have been put to sleep and had eye surgery to a pup..that alone was over 300 bucks.

    Needless to say that bitch is now mine and desexed. (4 days ago)

    THESE are real costs that you could be facing should a mating happen un noticed or just being slack in separation of the dog and bitch come season time.

    My male pup I will get desexed later on in the year when my treatments stop. I DID have an entire male heeler develop testicular cancer. That and the fact, stated before that they will break through anything to get to a bitch, can smell it from a long way is in itself to me good enough reason.

    I do understand the financial aspect that can be so hard and it would be great that if after rego etc your next saving priority would be desexing him. I think some vets allow it to be paid off, that would need prior enquiry. Males cost less than females too.

    Pity me, lol. I have 3 bitches..(the mother and 2 of her pups that our family is keeping) being done in a one month period. Whilst I adore the pups, this would NOT have happened had my Father in law had the bitch, or his entire male desexed, nor had he not been going through a messy marital split up and personal medical stuff requiring surgery. He messed up this time, first oops litter in about 40 years as he too always contained his bitches. Things CAN happen despite best intentions and precautions thought to be in place.

    We just see so much of this on the forum, in our lives and the consequences of it that anyone who really is being irresponsible is told so, and to my mind, rightly so.
    Last edited by Di_dee1; 03-26-2010 at 01:25 PM.

    Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Hey hang on a minute...you said you had no REASON to do it and now you are saying you can not afford it....which one is it?!? You said you will keep them apart when in season...but what if you can't and you end up with a bitch who needs a C-section (VERY expensive)...will you just let her die in labour because you are in debt? You end up with puppies you can not get rid off...expensive!

    You can call me blunt and an A-hole all you want...but I am also a very responsible dog owner who will do what is best for my dogs and that is...getting them desexed, vaccinated, wormed, flea treated, vet treated when needed and provide good food for them!
    Last edited by Cleasanta; 03-26-2010 at 01:21 PM.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Look I'm a reg. Breeder and like you I've never had a issue with keeping entire dogs and bitches separate, in fact it astounds that unwanted pregnancies happen so often when it is so easy to do.

    The thing is I know what I'm looking for when a bitch comes into season or is starting to come into season and obviously so do you. But no everyone does, or they mustn't because there are still puppies out there.

    You say your boy is young, so as yet he probably hasn't put all his efforts into reaching the border collie. Or he may have and you've handled it expertly.

    But one thing that is quite noticeably in my opinion is the difference in temperament desexing makes. As your boy matures and he's going to be a big boy, this may help in some other training issues and keep him the happy go lucky boy he is today.

  4. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Why should the thread be closed. You, nor anybody else here has not broken or violated any forum rules.

    The advice Myf has given you is sound.

    Others have also suggested you try and find a free clinic. That is VERY helpful advice IMO.
    It now makes sense of the fact that you have not done any obedience training as such with a professional school.
    Now that we know the reasons, it can help us to guide you in the right direction. There is no point us all giving you names of places, ppl, if you can't afford it. There's also no need to be embarrassed about it. That is life, **** happens.

    But you have got a dog, and you need to find ways to do what is right. No matter how long it takes.
    I promise to fill out the form on this website, but i can only fully act on it untill after june...

    National Desexing Network | Apply for Low Cost Desexing

  5. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    Hey hang on a minute...you said you had no REASON to do it and now you are saying you can not afford it....which one is it?!?
    i was atempting to save my self explaining how financially skrewed i am, and pretty much save my self from being embarrest..

    But now that you have got it right out there.. would you like to talk about it over coffee one day...

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLexDog View Post
    I promise to fill out the form on this website, but i can only fully act on it untill after june...

    National Desexing Network | Apply for Low Cost Desexing
    well that's an excellent start. Good on you. And in the meantime, just put away anything you can. Believe me, it all adds up in the end.

    Might sound rather extreme, but if it was me I would be wondering if there was anything I could sell to cover the cost. You know, garage stuff, anything I didn't want or need.

    Worth a thought.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLexDog View Post
    I promise to fill out the form on this website, but i can only fully act on it untill after june...

    National Desexing Network | Apply for Low Cost Desexing
    Great
    Education not Legislation

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLexDog View Post
    i was atempting to save my self explaining how financially skrewed i am, and pretty much save my self from being embarrest..

    But now that you have got it right out there.. would you like to talk about it over coffee one day...
    Say what???

  9. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    Say what???
    Are you a financial planner because i would love to sit down with you one day and discuss it over coffee.. or maybe a light beverage by the bay

  10. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    Snippy comments might work on other people...but not on me!

    No...I just make sure I can afford my dog before I get them really (EVEN if emergencies happen)....and put money aside every week!
    I fully understand what you are talking about..

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •