Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: GSPs and Backyard Breeders

  1. #1

    Default GSPs and Backyard Breeders

    Below is an article written by Rob Greaves, a member of the 'GSP lovers Australia' FB page on 'Socially Aware - of GSPs and Backyard Breeders and Puppy Farms'.

    This article was published in The Toorak Times.

    Enjoy !

    Toorak Times - Socially Aware - Of German Shorthaired Pointers, and of backyard breeders and puppy farms

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bundaberg QLD
    Posts
    3,301

    Default

    Good read. Thanks for that.

    Cant add much more than say that i met my first GSP not so long ago at training and he was a cool dog.

    I also found out one of my new neighbours loves to breed and breed from thier maltese and shihtzu. "They sell like hot cakes" he said.... I wont be having beers with that cockhead.


    Quote Originally Posted by reyzor View Post
    Education is important, but big biceps are more importanter ...
    DONT SIC YOUR DOGMA ON ME !

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    near Sydney NSW
    Posts
    727

    Default

    Great article! I met a GSP at my grandsons soccer match the other day, she introduced herself with her front paws on my shoulders ... fortunately a friendly GSP

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Good read. Thanks for that.

    Cant add much more than say that i met my first GSP not so long ago at training and he was a cool dog.

    I also found out one of my new neighbours loves to breed and breed from thier maltese and shihtzu. "They sell like hot cakes" he said.... I wont be having beers with that cockhead.
    Yes, Sean they are really cool pups ! I am onto my 5th one - health prevailing - I can see that number increasing a lot !

    As far as your neighbour is concerned - educate, educate, educate !!!!!! I wouldn't actually invite him to my place - but really I wouldn't let a chance to go by to not educate him to what he is actually doing for the pups he is breeding in general. Maybe explain to him that times are changing, and if he continues on selling these pups - which he classes as 'money for jam' - and not health testing the parents - that this may/will come back and 'bite him badly'. Some people really only think of things vaguely or not at all - no consequences - therefore no worries !!!!!!!!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    se qld
    Posts
    836

    Default

    Oh dear, that describes my Snoopy perfectly.
    The only genes he missed out on were the Proper Ears gene and the Short Haired Gene.

    5. Slow To Grow Into Brains gene. Utterly loveable, funny, protective, active all these things, but it can take anywhere from 2 years upward for a GSP to grow into in to its brains. This unfortunate genetic tendency will result in behaviour that moves from the hysterically crazy to the insane.

    I like this one - that is why his nickname is Nutjob.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grevillea47 View Post
    Great article! I met a GSP at my grandsons soccer match the other day, she introduced herself with her front paws on my shoulders ... fortunately a friendly GSP
    Oh dear - that is not something any of my pups would have done to you - or really any other owner of a dog should expect their dog to behave !

    How old was the pup ?

    Normally I would class that behaviour as bad manners in any dog - not only a GSP.

    I have always taught all of my 5 pups to lick faces. Where I live there has always been heaps of kids - and as kids do what kids do - it is easier for me to know that my pups lick faces. If people/kids do not want that - then they move their face away - no drama for the pups !

    They are generally classed as big dogs and trust me - extremely agile - so the worst that would happen at my place or anywhere - would be the pup jumping in front of you - no touching - trying to encourage you to bring your face to the pup's level. If the person is not up to kisses - then pups understand - no drama !

    I really do love all animals - but - GSPs - push all my buttons ! I really love the breed !

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chubbsecurity View Post
    Oh dear, that describes my Snoopy perfectly.
    The only genes he missed out on were the Proper Ears gene and the Short Haired Gene.

    5. Slow To Grow Into Brains gene. Utterly loveable, funny, protective, active all these things, but it can take anywhere from 2 years upward for a GSP to grow into in to its brains. This unfortunate genetic tendency will result in behaviour that moves from the hysterically crazy to the insane.

    I like this one - that is why his nickname is Nutjob.
    Oh 'chubbsecurity' - you are really expecting tooooooo much there ! But 'nut job' - I think is a tad harsh !

    Some breeds take some time to mature - but the problem with GSPs - 2 years - more like ..............years to mature ! Then you have to say good bye !

    But while they are going through all of this - what has happened to the owner !!!!!!!!!!! I really think that if you are a true GSP lover - you really do not notice the changes that have happened to you !!!!!

    I can remember phoning a breeder of one of my pups when he got to 3 years old - and asked where his brain was ! It hadn't arrived in the mail, was not hand delivered - so where was it ?

    I believe that the age of our pups are up to the individual owners of said pups ! I love the fact that GSPs are full of life and really do not act their age - but being classed as a reasonably large pup - yes lovers of GSPs need to be careful and understand that other people will not understand what I love about GSPs !

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •