Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: confused... about pit bulls

  1. #31

    Default

    should read stuff properly before posting... lol
    Last edited by mymatejack; 05-22-2012 at 09:55 PM.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    Oh for sure V&F...and we all had such an issue when Hitler tried to do the same thing!!!

    Its ridiculous and I have tried telling my mum her dog actually meets many of the relevant criteria and could be whisked away and PTS, and she told me I was talking out my ass LMAO

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sunshine coast Qld
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oskar's mum View Post
    Well he is a dangerous dog....if you are a chook!!
    So im guessing he wouldnt like my new 2 chooks either, there names are Zinger and Combo!
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mohandas Gandhi

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    Shoulda been real mean and called them Kentucky and Fried

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Gippsland, Victoria
    Posts
    743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lala View Post
    Oh for sure V&F...and we all had such an issue when Hitler tried to do the same thing!!!

    Its ridiculous and I have tried telling my mum her dog actually meets many of the relevant criteria and could be whisked away and PTS, and she told me I was talking out my ass LMAO
    100% bang on target Lala. It is legal discrimination based on looks.

    The breed standard being used is for the American Staffordshire Terrier- a recognized breed. It is my understanding that there are no genetic markers to differentiate the AmStaffy from the 'breed' known as American Pit Bull Terrier- however there is a hugely complicated history/ argument about whether they are the same breed its even been a legal question and im confused as to where that stands. Choppa or one of our more learned members will be able to explain better than I.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    1,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavalierqld View Post
    So im guessing he wouldnt like my new 2 chooks either, there names are Zinger and Combo!
    Oh he'd like them alright!!! He'd like to shake them silly!!

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sunshine coast Qld
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oskar's mum View Post
    Oh he'd like them alright!!! He'd like to shake them silly!!
    A shaken Zinger Combo,,,interesting
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mohandas Gandhi

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    1,828

    Default

    He has a very high prey drive like a lot of bull breeds.

  9. #39

    Default

    This is the problem with these laws. Because American Pitbull Terriers are NOT a recognised breed here and even in the States many breeds get called Pitbull types, it means that lots of dogs fall into the category and meet at least some of the breed identification meaning they can be declared a restricted breed.
    The media has no idea what they are on about hence the use of things like Pitbull and American Pitbull like they are something different when in fact in this country they are not.

    It is very hard to explain.

    Suffice to say in Victoria they are using the ADBA Breed Standard for the American Pitbull Terrier and any dog who meets a certain amount of that standard will be classed as a Pitbull.
    This is the standard they are running off
    http://www.gazette.vic.gov.au/gazett...GG2011S283.pdf

    I don't know exactly how many points a dog has to meet to be classed as a Pitbull but the problem is many non restricted dogs such as a Staffordshire Bull Terriers, American Stafforshire Terriers, American Bulldogs etc have similar traits because they come from similar lines (bred apart for more than 100 years though). Also some other breeds of dogs like Labradors can have similar features, the bigger Labradors have thick square skulls so outcrossed would possibly meet the above standards.

    Breed standards are not a reliable way of telling a breed as they are designed to be used to judge a dog that we already know as a purebred to see how well it meets the standard, they are not supposed to be used to decide if a dog is of that breed or not. Not that the Vic Govt gives a shit about that though.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sunshine coast
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Villain & Flirtt View Post
    100% bang on target Lala. It is legal discrimination based on looks.

    The breed standard being used is for the American Staffordshire Terrier- a recognized breed. It is my understanding that there are no genetic markers to differentiate the AmStaffy from the 'breed' known as American Pit Bull Terrier- however there is a hugely complicated history/ argument about whether they are the same breed its even been a legal question and im confused as to where that stands. Choppa or one of our more learned members will be able to explain better than I.
    This is also what I have read, and in some places they are duel registered as both Amsaffy and Apbt but they can not be registered the other way around for some reason.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •