Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 81

Thread: Our new family member

  1. #61

    Default

    alright - since I've gone MIA again in last couple of months- this is due of work restructure and some projects I've been doing in our house.
    we have a new place/kennel for the dogs which we are very happy with a gate no more than 1M high facing my relocated shed and they are right
    next to the side access so they can run around the front yard when free :-)

    with Cindy - she started to have some skin disorder - so she went to the vet lat January and got checked - the cause is bad diet. Vet thought
    I probably bought a bad meat which reacted to her - Zeus was fine - so new raw diet - at the moment both are on Raw Brisket and chicken carcass
    with raw egg, and with the diet they also get Science diet still.

    Cindy's skin disorder improved a lot in a month and no more trace can be seen since mid April - so we are all happy again.

    Zeus is full 1 year old now - however he still smaller than Cindy but with bigger head and Cindy gained more weight (muscle) with the new swing pole we
    bought last february - but sometimes they still have some arguments mostly with food - I always feed them at the same time and separately probably about
    2 metres away, but Zeus always goes to Cindy's bowl and growling starts "this is if I am not watching" if I am watching everything is fine.

    any help?
    m<(o.o)>m

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    Zeus always goes to Cindy's bowl
    When I say I feed dogs separately - they're separated by a barricade that they cannot get through. So one dog can finish first and the other dog still gets to eat in peace. Eating in peace does not include being intimdated by greedy guts.

    I used to feed two beagles and one was a much faster eater than the other, so I'd put them in separate bits of the yard, and I'd put the greedy bitches food into a treat ball or three - so she couldn't eat her food so quickly.

    If you're feeding dry - you can use treat balls or bob alots or squirrel dudes etc. If you're feeding wet stuff, maybe load some of it into several black kongs (more than two, four or five would be ideal). Freeze the kongs, and get Zeus to get his food out of those. You may still need to have a barricade for Cindy to eat.

    You could teach Zeus not to resource guard but chances are he will never accept Cindy getting food when he isn't, even when he's had his share or has something else to eat (the other dog's food is always better than mine).

    The way I used to manage it with hay in the horse paddock was to put out hay in piles double the number of horses plus one and each pile at least 2 horse lengths from the next so they couldn't guard the food. But that isn't going to work with dogs and dog food.

    PS I would never tie two dogs to each other by choke chains. Too many dogs have died this way, and the chains won't release properly - ie one dog will be punished or choked by the bad behaviour of the other. Or if they get tangled up, they may start fighting and strangle each other.
    Last edited by Hyacinth; 05-03-2013 at 12:56 PM.

  3. #63

    Default

    in the past couple of months we are doing obedient training for both dogs
    and I happy to let you all know that it is paying off

    I can now walk with the 2 without leash and when I recall they come back and sit
    next to me.

    Very happy with this as I can even let them run around the front yard without
    them running to other person or animal.

    Will take Video next time and share it to everyone.

    With the Food issue - I now separate them and Put up a gate between side access and backyard so
    one dog will be in one area while having food
    m<(o.o)>m

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    I can now walk with the 2 without leash and when I recall they come back and sit next to me.
    Well done. I do love an update and wow, this thread has stretched out over time. We can really see progress by re-reading from the beginning.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bundaberg QLD
    Posts
    3,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pbk1776 View Post
    in the past couple of months we are doing obedient training for both dogs
    and I happy to let you all know that it is paying off

    I can now walk with the 2 without leash and when I recall they come back and sit
    next to me.

    Very happy with this as I can even let them run around the front yard without
    them running to other person or animal.

    Will take Video next time and share it to everyone.

    With the Food issue - I now separate them and Put up a gate between side access and backyard so
    one dog will be in one area while having food
    But...but...they are AMstaffs....you know those untrainable killers !!

    Good stuff mate. Looking forward to seeing some footage of your 2 dogs proving the haters wrong.
    Last edited by Sean; 09-23-2013 at 04:17 PM.


    Quote Originally Posted by reyzor View Post
    Education is important, but big biceps are more importanter ...
    DONT SIC YOUR DOGMA ON ME !

  6. #66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    Well done. I do love an update and wow, this thread has stretched out over time. We can really see progress by re-reading from the beginning.
    Thanks Hyancinth - I know I do not login that often anymore but when I do I make sure ill post everyone of our progress.
    Our next step of training is taking them to campings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    But...but...they are AMstaffs....you know those untrainable killers !!

    Good stuff mate. Looking forward to seeing some footage of your 2 dogs proving the haters wrong.
    Thanks Sean - doing the hard yards eventually pays off - ill get video up soon
    m<(o.o)>m

  7. #67

    Default

    MIA for a while

    Sad news that Cindy is no longer with us was put down altering suffering head injuries- will not go too much details.

    However, on the bright side Zeus is now 2 years old and very happy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    m<(o.o)>m

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    Hi Pbk1776

    That's sad and happy.

    Hopefully Cindy's injuries were nothing to do with Zeus - or I guess you might have had to put both of them to sleep.

    Hopefully Zeus continues to make good progress in being a happy friendly dog?

  9. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    Hi Pbk1776

    That's sad and happy.

    Hopefully Cindy's injuries were nothing to do with Zeus - or I guess you might have had to put both of them to sleep.

    Hopefully Zeus continues to make good progress in being a happy friendly dog?
    It was a car accident - very rare aggression between both and towards others.

    It is sad however moving forward we still have Zeus and still amaze us with his temperment
    m<(o.o)>m

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bundaberg QLD
    Posts
    3,301

    Default

    Bugger ... sorry to hear that mate.

    RIP Cindy.


    Quote Originally Posted by reyzor View Post
    Education is important, but big biceps are more importanter ...
    DONT SIC YOUR DOGMA ON ME !

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •