Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: How long are breeder waiting lists on average?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Logan, Brisbane QLD
    Posts
    806

    Default

    $3000

    Good on you Lala, at least you know what you want! I also don't know how to go about buying from a breeder, we want to look at getting a Purebred Rotty or American Bulldog in the future - not for a couple of years (i need to do some research on whether we can even own a AMBD in QLD) so i'm definitely going to follow this thread.

    Well at least i know the purchase price will be a couple of thousand... better start saving LOL

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuri_89 View Post
    $3000

    Good on you Lala, at least you know what you want! I also don't know how to go about buying from a breeder, we want to look at getting a Purebred Rotty or American Bulldog in the future - not for a couple of years (i need to do some research on whether we can even own a AMBD in QLD) so i'm definitely going to follow this thread.

    Well at least i know the purchase price will be a couple of thousand... better start saving LOL
    You can own an American Bulldog just fine in QLD, the problem you will encounter is that the breed is not recognised here in Aus which means no ANKC papers to confirm your pups breed so if the laws here do change again (for the worse) you could be in trouble unless your super careful. At the moment its pretty safe here.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Logan, Brisbane QLD
    Posts
    806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keira & Phoenix View Post
    You can own an American Bulldog just fine in QLD, the problem you will encounter is that the breed is not recognised here in Aus which means no ANKC papers to confirm your pups breed so if the laws here do change again (for the worse) you could be in trouble unless your super careful. At the moment its pretty safe here.
    Thanks for that K&P - I saw the thread on here when somebody purchased an american bulldog and had been waiting a long time for their papers and then it turned out to be many posters who had paid, but still hadn't received their papers. So i'm guessing i could be in trouble in the future if i can't prove my dog was american bulldog and they can class it under a pitbull look alike? if the laws were to change?

    It will definitely be years before we look at getting another dog so it's definitely something to keep in mind in the future. I'm the one wanting the Rotty & OH is the one wanting the AMBD but i promised him he could choose next since Molly is pretty much mine (even though he chose her!)

  4. #14

    Default

    British Bulldogs usually have a bit higher price than most breeds due to the complications during whelping.
    Most require c-sections so their vet costs are much higher than other breeds.

    Usually for a purebred you will pay between 1,000 to 2,000 depending if you want pet or show quality. It also depends how much work the breeder has had to put into the process.

    My pup was right in between those figures and he is on a partnership. His price was higher due to the fact he has multiple imports in his pedigree. His breeder has spent thousands of dollars importing these dogs so needed to recoup costs. If my pup didn't have all the imports in his pedigree and was an all aussie-bred dog he probably would have been cheaper.

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuri_89 View Post
    Thanks for that K&P - I saw the thread on here when somebody purchased an american bulldog and had been waiting a long time for their papers and then it turned out to be many posters who had paid, but still hadn't received their papers. So i'm guessing i could be in trouble in the future if i can't prove my dog was american bulldog and they can class it under a pitbull look alike? if the laws were to change?

    It will definitely be years before we look at getting another dog so it's definitely something to keep in mind in the future. I'm the one wanting the Rotty & OH is the one wanting the AMBD but i promised him he could choose next since Molly is pretty much mine (even though he chose her!)
    There is a registry here that specifically registers AMBD but I think that may be the problem puppy buyers are having. The registry just isn't up to scratch and so isn't sending papers.
    Either way the papers wouldn't be ANKC so they still wouldn't count if QLD bought in laws similar to Vic.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Logan, Brisbane QLD
    Posts
    806

    Default

    they still wouldn't count if QLD bought in laws similar to Vic
    Sorry people for the off topic posts i promise this is the last one!!

    Would we be exempt if we were to get the pup before the law change? If we were to register our dog and get some sort of papers?

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuri_89 View Post
    Sorry people for the off topic posts i promise this is the last one!!

    Would we be exempt if we were to get the pup before the law change? If we were to register our dog and get some sort of papers?
    No one was exempt in Vic, well they said if your dog was registered as a Pitbull then they were exempt except they can refuse to register the dog the next year anyways and if it isn't registered as a Pitbull ie: its registered as an American Bulldog but they decide it looks like a Pitbull then they can seize the dog.
    The only thing that made them exempt really was ANKC papers.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    Like you Kuri, we wont be getting the BB for a number of years yet, but I want to know everything I can about the breeder we prefer so that gives us plenty of time.

    While the dog will be a pet, we would probably quite like a show quality bulldog, but we will get into the specifics of that closer to the time and consider whether one of us wants to get into showing etc. We would be quite keen to one day breed, but only after we have owned a few would we decide if it was something we definitely want to do.

    It's very exciting even though it is ages away. The OH is very specific about the colouring he wants and we would like to choose our own pup so it may be difficult to find a breeder who doesnt want to "assign" us a pup. But these are all things that we can sort out/change etc over the next few years.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •