Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Is this behaviour being aggressive

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meredith View Post
    What Keira & Phoenix has said has just taken my breath away. Did I really deserve that? She is not guarding the ball. If she gets to the ball at the same time as another dog, she will back off and let him/her have it, then she will follow them and when they drop it, which they usually do, she then brings it back to be thrown again. She is not attacking other dogs, she is just pushing them out of her way, in as far as a 10 kilo dog can. I have seen bigger dogs behave similarly and they actually knock the other dog over. I am not encouraging what she is doing and I don't think what Keira & Phoenix is saying is quite accurate. A bigger dog can hurt a small dog if it knocks the smaller dog over. She has never knocked another dog over. They are just in her way when she wants to get to that ball.
    Lala I don't want my dog to be like your wee dog, and it is very convenient to be able to exercise my dogs together. I have spent a lot of time training this little girl and she is very obedient with two obedience titles from ten trials. She has an amazing recall and will drop from a distance. I would like her to be well adjusted so that I can take her anywhere which I can except the dog park. Some of the behaviours I have mentioned (reacting when other dogs bark) have only developed recently, and I am concerned about them escalating. I do like what MyMateJack has said which probably describes her behaviour fairly accurately and I know I could call her to me at any time if anything was getting out of hand.
    I just want a well adjusted dog that I know will be safe if anything should happen to me. I am fairly shocked at some of the comments.
    This is just my personal opinion and others probably won't agree, but if you are vigilant and call her back before she gets into trouble (and risks another dog reacting badly to her cranky mood), she'll be fine. I had a big dog who went out of her way to bully other dogs. In hindisght I should have done something about it - she didn't need a trigger to start a scuffle - but I ended up just working on recall and always being on high alert if there were other dogs around. You get to know your dog and what triggers her to react, so you can anticipate and prevent the behaviour. For example, for some reason unkown to me my old dog seemed to hate all Spaniels - so I stopped allowing her anywhere near them. She was however really good with little dogs, so I always let her greet them.

    I think you will be able to manage it by just being observant. But it is unlikely you will ever get her to bounce around happily with the other dogs, like your other dog does. As long as you make sure that trips to the dog park are alternated with trips to somewhere where your dog can chase the ball and be herself, I think you'll be ok. Though having said that, you may want to think about trying to lessen your dog's ball obsession. I remember reading a blog post a while back by a woman who came to the realisation that her dog's ball obsession caused him lots of anxiety and when she limited the use of the ball and replaced it with other excercise, he was actually a happier dog. Taking your dog bush is a great activity for most for example.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern NSW
    Posts
    3,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beloz View Post
    Sorry, but I don't agree on this either. I couldn't care less if a miniature poodle jumps up to me, but I got seriously freaked out when the 8mo newfie did that. That's just an example, but just like you treat dogs with different temperaments differently, I think it is totally ok to have different rules for big and for little dogs.

    My major problem in public places are small aggressive dogs..i am not frightened of them, but i have large dogs and mine are under control and obedient. But what right does a small aggressive white fluffy thing have to hang off my dogs throat , or jump all over them NONE....All dogs out in public should be well mannered, or be on leash or not in public. Most dogs that are attacked by a small dog might reciprocate, and that means the large dog could possible be PTS, if he does an injury to this little sh**. Why should only large dogs be well trained and expected to show no aggression.

    Also many of the worst dog bites to kids are from small dogs, even if they do not get media reported..i used to work in an A&E department. You get the "oh he was only small" .

    All dogs should have manners

    .....I totally agree with MAC, my best obedience dog is my BC cross and even though she is tolerant of other dogs, she will never play or interact with stranger dogs. I often think that people with a pack of dogs at home are more in tune with their dogs, because they deal with dog behaviour at home all the time
    Pets are forever

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern NSW
    Posts
    3,784

    Default

    I do agree with Beloz, that you can train out of it, if no real aggression has happened. by recall and treat......

    I have attached a little poster that explains the system briefly

    BAT-dog j-peg.jpg
    Pets are forever

  4. #14

    Default

    Beloz - Jumping up on a person in a non aggressive fashion is completely different to a dog guarding a ball or reacting to other dogs barking. Jumping up for attention is an undesirable behaviour not a possibly aggressive one. But in my opinion someones little fluffy jumping on me would annoy me as much as someones Newfie or Golden Retreiver. The owner should have control of the dog whether it is small or large. This is why so many little dogs end up aggressive or with terrible behaviour problems (like jumping up) because their owners have this mind set that what isn't ok for a bigger dog is ok for a smaller dog, and in fact I had a lady in my puppy class a week ago that had exactly that mind set. What wasn't ok for the German Shepherd in my class must be ok for her Oodle. (It was in relation to handling of the leash and people approaching your dogs on walks and how not to create aggression by accident)

    Lets say the little dog was jumping and biting at you? Is that ok because the dog is small?

    My comment was not in relation to their general behavior my comment was in relation to aggressive or possibly aggressive behaviours but as per above I still dont think it is ok for little dog owners to allow their dogs to do things bigger dogs would be in trouble for.

    Once again if my 30 kilo dog was doing what the OP has described whether to a large dog or to a smaller dog people would find it inappropriate. Even worse if it was Phi who often gets referred to as "one of those types of dog" I bet people would accuse her of terrible things.

    As Newf pointed out it is NOT ok for a small dog to run up and attack our larger dogs just because they are smaller and an owner who allows that to go on might end up with a seriously injured or dead dog and then the bigger dog is likely to be declared dangerous or PTS, even a good tempered dog might be having a bad day and snap if a little dog decided to hassle it. (This is not in reference to the OP but in reference to posts by Beloz)

    Meredith I am not sure what you mean by "Did I deserve that" I don't think I was harsh with you, I just gave you the facts and a different mind frame to see it from. Imagine your girl is much bigger than she is and then decide if it would be appropriate for her at 2 or 3 times her size.
    But yes it does upset me when people take their dog to a place that is clearly stressful for it because it is convenient for them. If your dog is stressed then it is not fun for them.

    Also many of us here have advised you if you don't get this under control it COULD turn into an aggression problem, please don't ignore that.
    Last edited by Keira & Phoenix; 02-24-2012 at 01:09 PM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    745

    Default

    I get where Beloz is coming from. Provided the dog isn't aggressive I've really got no problem with a little dog jumping on me. Where naturally I do have a problem with a large dog doing the same thing.

    Owning dogs of all sizes I've come to realise that 1 - the Borzoi certainly doesn't need to jump up at me to get my attention, he just comes over and leans on me and with his head higher than my waist he gets plenty of attention.

    The same can be said of the Gordon, she's a large dog so can easy get my attention and is easy to give attention to.

    My smallest Whippet bitch is the one that jumps the most, I don't see it as a problem as she's certainly not going to push me over and she is the most social of all my dogs.

    If I'm walking down a street with my dogs and an aggressive dog comes towards me naturally I'd prefer it to be a small one, for the obvious reason that if it gets off lead mine are going to come out of the situation better.

    But naturally in a perfect world I prefer if no dog reacted with unwarrented aggression.

    I also understand having a small dog myself how scary a couple of large dogs walking down the street head on towards a smaller dog looks to the small dog. Raising a small dog to be totally unreactive to other dogs IMO takes a little bit more work and the very nature and breeding and purpose behind it often leads small dogs to be quite tenacious.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,290

    Default

    Like you Mac, I think most people with big dogs are very conscious of the fact that they simply cannot afford to make any mistakes when it comes to interactions with people and other dogs. That doesn't mean it is not preferable to do the same with a little dog, but the environment is more forgiving and there may be more important things the owner wants to focus on first.

    A big dog biting a much smaller dog is a worry. From my experience - once they get past the stage where they think SWFs are rabbits - they see little dogs more or less as pups. On the other hand, lots of small dogs see attack as the best defense and I sometimes cannot blame them. Especially if they have had bad experiences with big dogs getting in their face, chasing them or bowling them over.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern NSW
    Posts
    3,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meredith View Post
    Newfsie. Big dogs who crowd my small dog are being rude. Dogs who get in my dog's way when she is chasing a ball are being rude. Dogs who bark all the time are bing rude. And if their owners allow them to do these things they are being inconsiderate. My dog is trained. She will come instantly if she is called. She will leave if she is told to. She will drop wherever she might be. This thread has just convinced me that my dog does not have aggression issues. I think she possibly does have BC in her mix and the post re the border collies was most useful as also was the one from the person with the staffy.
    I totally agree...No matter what the size, the dogs should be trained. I do not allow my dogs to be rude.....But what you have to remember is that there are owners, who don't mind this at all. And when there is a park full of those, we who like our dogs to be well mannered have to just move along....It is really why I personally do not like these small fenced off leash parks at all.

    My dogs do interact off leash with other dogs, but it is at our Kennel Club, with dogs they know. Or at the beach or Lake Hume, where their are only the people who have control and there are very few in a very large area, because there are no fences...... And we go when it is cold
    Pets are forever

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newfsie View Post
    I totally agree...No matter what the size, the dogs should be trained. I do not allow my dogs to be rude.....But what you have to remember is that there are owners, who don't mind this at all. And when there is a park full of those, we who like our dogs to be well mannered have to just move along....It is really why I personally do not like these small fenced off leash parks at all.

    My dogs do interact off leash with other dogs, but it is at our Kennel Club, with dogs they know. Or at the beach or Lake Hume, where their are only the people who have control and there are very few in a very large area, because there are no fences...... And we go when it is cold
    What always makes me wonder is i can go the the beach in the middle of winter and i'll hardy see another dog(except the few "hardcore" dog owners like myself! - and we all know each other and each others dogs very well, to explain one part of my previous post in this thread). I always wonder where these dogs get their excercise when the weather sux? I dislike going there on really nice sunny hot days, as who i deem the "once a year dog walkers" turn up and it's almost gauranteed there will be a blue somewhere on the beach. I'm very glad the place isn't too far from the road and isn't fenced in, i'd hate to see what sort of out of control dogs would turn up if that was the case

    ETA : i really do love winter at the beach and would much rather having to wear three jumpers than having to watch out for the stupid dogs who are uncontrolled!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern NSW
    Posts
    3,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
    I get where Beloz is coming from. Provided the dog isn't aggressive I've really got no problem with a little dog jumping on me. Where naturally I do have a problem with a large dog doing the same thing.

    Owning dogs of all sizes I've come to realise that 1 - the Borzoi certainly doesn't need to jump up at me to get my attention, he just comes over and leans on me and with his head higher than my waist he gets plenty of attention.

    The same can be said of the Gordon, she's a large dog so can easy get my attention and is easy to give attention to.

    My smallest Whippet bitch is the one that jumps the most, I don't see it as a problem as she's certainly not going to push me over and she is the most social of all my dogs.

    If I'm walking down a street with my dogs and an aggressive dog comes towards me naturally I'd prefer it to be a small one, for the obvious reason that if it gets off lead mine are going to come out of the situation better.

    But naturally in a perfect world I prefer if no dog reacted with unwarrented aggression.

    I also understand having a small dog myself how scary a couple of large dogs walking down the street head on towards a smaller dog looks to the small dog. Raising a small dog to be totally unreactive to other dogs IMO takes a little bit more work and the very nature and breeding and purpose behind it often leads small dogs to be quite tenacious.
    I wasn't actaully meaning just jumping up on people, that i have to admit doesn't usually bother me much either. Unless bare legs and sharp claws....i meant the little aggressive dogs, that hang off my friendly dogs, with owners not doing anything about it. For some reason , white and fluffy is attracted to big black and fluffy in an aggressive manner. or maybe the line of small dogs in this district are aggressive. it never happens a the kennel Club
    Pets are forever

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newfsie View Post
    I wasn't actaully meaning just jumping up on people, that i have to admit doesn't usually bother me much either. Unless bare legs and sharp claws....i meant the little aggressive dogs, that hang off my friendly dogs, with owners not doing anything about it. For some reason , white and fluffy is attracted to big black and fluffy in an aggressive manner. or maybe the line of small dogs in this district are aggressive. it never happens a the kennel Club
    i would guess better than 50% of little white fluffy dogs are either aggressive or just very bad mannered. There aren't too many days when Jack doesn't get some stupid little mutt run at him barking ... 99% of the time he doesn't react, its only when he's bringing his ball back to me that he(the dog needs to be either really constantly getting in his face or biting at him before he will give usual warning signs and then react) decides to put the dog in its place. He has put numerous dogs on the ground, never once has he drawn blood and on the vast majority of occasions the owners of the little white fluffy mutts actually say "don't worry about it" while i'm yelling at Jack to stop(even though i'm very confident in Jack not to keep going i like to make sure). Personally i think that people who own these little white fluffy mutts see them as harmless and therefore don't put in the required training/socialation and the result is what we all see.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •