Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 90

Thread: Design a new breed

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern NSW
    Posts
    3,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beloz View Post
    First of all I must comment that in my opinion very few breeds serve a purpose in our modern day world besides being companion animals.
    I disagree.....you might not use your dog for a purpose, but many people still do. There are many gundogs still used for their purpose and all the different herding breeds.
    A lot of people still use the earth dogs for their purpose too.

    Even certain breeds used for search and rescue and security are mostly pure breeds.

    I do believe people have the right to create their own breed if they wanted to, but they must also realise that in those dark days, when so many new Breeds were created, dogs were very diposable and no-one would give it a secong thought if the extra or non-conforming dogs were PTS in the most horendous manner as say drowning.
    I think the way we are going now it will be like a lot of the cattle breeds and Pigs.....Some of the beautiful breeds will just disapear forever........Because in cattle now the pure-breeds are getiing less. Because so many people go for the hybrid vigour. And it will only be when it is too late that people will say "if only".

    I think there is a place for cross breeds ( I have a gorgeous one myself and I love her cross), but I am personally a strong believer in maitaining our pure breeds for future generations to enjoy.....it is a joy to go out and buy a well bred Newfoundland dog as a puppy and know what you will have when it grows up. That is will be an easy going relaxed water lover, who is easy to train and loves people and other animals. I have had so many from puppy and they all have been very similar, unlike some of the mutts I have had, who I have had to wait and see......... All our Australia Kelpeis have all been similar too, we know their work style and what they will be like. Ofcourse there are a few individual character traits, but mostly they are the same.

    I hope that people will keep and maintain all the pure Breeds and not dilute them into nothing.............

    But if anyone has the tenacity and money to create a new breed, which is healthy and breeds true to type, i do think they have that right............But like was said before, it would take a long time
    Pets are forever

  2. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beloz View Post
    Why do you insist on calling anyone who isn't a current registered breeder BYBs? I think 99bottles idea is commendable and obviously they think it is worth it. Not everyone would have the means to do this, but if they do and believe in it, I think they should go for it.
    Because anyone who isn't breeding properly is a BYB.

    Name one person creating a new breed who is doing it properly?

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crested_Love View Post
    Because anyone who isn't breeding properly is a BYB.

    Name one person creating a new breed who is doing it properly?
    I believe you call this a circular argument. Don't have the motivation to try explain.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newfsie View Post
    I disagree.....you might not use your dog for a purpose, but many people still do. There are many gundogs still used for their purpose and all the different herding breeds.
    A lot of people still use the earth dogs for their purpose too.

    Even certain breeds used for search and rescue and security are mostly pure breeds. There are thousands of dogs in Canberra alone and I

    I do believe people have the right to create their own breed if they wanted to, but they must also realise that in those dark days, when so many new Breeds were created, dogs were very diposable and no-one would give it a secong thought if the extra or non-conforming dogs were PTS in the most horendous manner as say drowning.
    I think the way we are going now it will be like a lot of the cattle breeds and Pigs.....Some of the beautiful breeds will just disapear forever........Because in cattle now the pure-breeds are getiing less. Because so many people go for the hybrid vigour. And it will only be when it is too late that people will say "if only".

    I think there is a place for cross breeds ( I have a gorgeous one myself and I love her cross), but I am personally a strong believer in maitaining our pure breeds for future generations to enjoy.....it is a joy to go out and buy a well bred Newfoundland dog as a puppy and know what you will have when it grows up. That is will be an easy going relaxed water lover, who is easy to train and loves people and other animals. I have had so many from puppy and they all have been very similar, unlike some of the mutts I have had, who I have had to wait and see......... All our Australia Kelpeis have all been similar too, we know their work style and what they will be like. Ofcourse there are a few individual character traits, but mostly they are the same.

    I hope that people will keep and maintain all the pure Breeds and not dilute them into nothing.............

    But if anyone has the tenacity and money to create a new breed, which is healthy and breeds true to type, i do think they have that right............But like was said before, it would take a long time
    What percentage of dogs bred do you think are used for a purpose other than to be a family dog, newfsie? There are thousands of dogs in Canberra alone and I don't think many if any ever get to herd sheep or go hunting. And we're only a small city and most people in Australia live in cities.

    And I don't think anyone here was suggesting we dilute or abandon any of the existing breeds. But why would it be wrong to trying to create new ones if it's done properly?

    I don't think I necessarily agree with preserving breeds just so future generations can see/experience them though. And I find that totally goes against the "breeding for a purpose" that always gets quoted by those opposing any deviation from current breed standards.

  5. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beloz View Post
    I believe you call this a circular argument. Don't have the motivation to try explain.
    So that's a no?

  6. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beloz View Post
    What percentage of dogs bred do you think are used for a purpose other than to be a family dog, newfsie? There are thousands of dogs in Canberra alone and I don't think many if any ever get to herd sheep or go hunting. And we're only a small city and most people in Australia live in cities.

    And I don't think anyone here was suggesting we dilute or abandon any of the existing breeds. But why would it be wrong to trying to create new ones if it's done properly?

    I don't think I necessarily agree with preserving breeds just so future generations can see/experience them though. And I find that totally goes against the "breeding for a purpose" that always gets quoted by those opposing any deviation from current breed standards.
    Yes but what if someone DID want to go hunting... They shouldn't have to track down the one person in outback Oz who breeds hunting dogs... ALL purebreds originally bred for hunting should still be able to do the job.

    I don't think it's wrong to create a new breed, my point was it takes more effort than most people are willing to put in PLUS there are often existing breeds that cover all bases that they are trying to breed for. Example: The Labradoodle... failed due to not being able to breed a consistent dog. The reason for breeding was to produce an allergy friendly guide dog.

    Now during the process of creating the new breed there would have been hundred of "failed" puppies. What happens to those pups? If you are breeding to create a new breed you can't sit around waiting for orders to come in BEFORE you breed, you have to push on with the next generation or you will be waiting forever. Back in the day those failed pups were culled.. killed... euthanised. Now they are just desexed and pet homed. Now I'm not saying culling is better, I think it's worse, but back then they didn't have to worry about finding suitable homes.

    Now with the Labradoodle, why did they need to create a new breed? Standard Poodles would have been just as suitable, they are allergy friendly, they are not as hyperactive as their smaller counterparts and they are intelligent. There really was no need to push ahead with creating a new breed in this instance.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    1,828

    Default

    My personal opinion is, there are already far too many breeds, who need a home, why create more breeds, and destroy many little puppy lives in the process, just for the hell of it! And what if you never get the perfect breed? Then you have created all these poor little reject pooches who have to be PTS or culled whatever you want to call it.

  8. #58

    Default

    It took us half a dozen pages but we are finally where I thought we would end up

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    110

    Default

    I started this thread and my intention was a bit of hypothetical fun. I wasn't implying that we all run out and start breeding what we we had discussed resulting in puppies that couldn't find homes, BYBs etc
    *sighs*
    *sighs*

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Gippsland, Victoria
    Posts
    743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 99bottles View Post
    Great idea for a thread. I plan to actually try to do this one day, depending on how my life turns out lol and whether I can ever escape from the corporate ladder and still have enough money to execute my plans.

    I want a dog like a Doberman, but with naturally erect ears and high pack drive, then defense drive, then prey, then food etc. As intelligent as possible, I am seeing way too many vague ones around at the moment Single coated, a thicker muzzle than what many of the showline dobermans have today and almond shape eyes rather than the slit shaped ones featured by most. There seem to be a lot of different interpretations on the doberman standard already - frankly I think you could argue a fairly well-supported case that new breeds are in development already just within the doberman.
    Good Lord, 99bottles, I hope you are kidding! I don't know whose Dobes you have been looking at lately, but it sure ain't the good ones. I simply hate to stand in the way of anyone's dreams, but... *shudder*

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •