Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 129

Thread: In search for a new family companion

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pbk1776 View Post
    I am after for a large dog - what would be the best suitable dog to own?
    Greyhounds are fantastic. They require very little exercise, and in fact much prefer to sleep in a nice comfy, warm spot. They don't need a lot of grooming and will be content to sleep inside the house while you are at work. They are sweet dogs and if you rescue one from somewhere like GAP Greyhounds to Adopt, not only are you saving a dogs life but they do extensive temperament testing on their dogs to see which are good with kids, which are suitable to single dog households and any other special requirements they may have etc. The upside to getting an older dog is that you do not need to put in all of the hard work of socialising a puppy and they are much calmer, so better with young children.

    Bullmastiffs are also a low energy, low maintenance breed. They do need proper socialisation at an early age but they do not need a huge backyard or a lot of exercise. They are known to prefer the couch to a walk.

    Bulldogs about the same as above, low energy, low maintenance, don't require lots of exercise. Again early socialisation is important.

    The other option I would suggest is going to places such as the RSPCA or local shelters/rescues and speaking to them. Tell them about your lifestyle, your family, your house and what you are looking for and they will be able to match you to a dog that more suits your needs.

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChoppaChop View Post
    Many,many dogs do not even get an hour a day exercise and training.
    Just because it happens doesn't mean it is ok.
    That is the sort of attitude that makes people think it is ok to go out and buy a dog on a whim without consideration for the dogs needs.

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keira & Phoenix View Post
    Just because it happens doesn't mean it is ok.
    That is the sort of attitude that makes people think it is ok to go out and buy a dog on a whim without consideration for the dogs needs.
    Agree - that's why even I have a very busy schedule I want to spend 1 hour minimum for physical activities with my new dog and the rest will be in side our house.
    I will consider a Mastiff and a Bulldog, not too sure about the greyhound.

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pbk1776 View Post
    Agree - that's why even I have a very busy schedule I want to spend 1 hour minimum for physical activities with my new dog and the rest will be in side our house.
    I will consider a Mastiff and a Bulldog, not too sure about the greyhound.
    If you can please try and meet some Greyhounds, they are honestly very very sweet dogs, they grow on you pretty quickly

  5. #25

    Default

    Oh rubbish K&P , what a very long bow to draw.
    There is nothing wrong with an hour dedicated to exercise/training. Especially as the dog will be going with them wherever they go as well.

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beloz View Post
    You're probably right, CC. I think I might have been reading things between the lines that are not necessarily there.

    pdk, do you absolutely want a puppy? Otherwise you could look at rescue staffies too? The foster carers will be able to tell you if they can cope with being left alone, are good with kids and dogs, etc. There are lots of staffies that end up in rescue. Obviously some of them do end up there because they have issues, but definitely not all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChoppaChop View Post
    Oh and if you are after a large dog,I have a 6 month old Bull Arab girl for adoption ( see Rescue thread)

    ps just editing to add before someone jumps on the 'but the yard isn't big enough' foy my BA girl. Pippa is biggest couch potatoe I've yet to meet and I've met some doozey Amstaff ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChoppaChop View Post
    Sorry , but as per usual I am going to be the odd one out here in this thread ( hell usually on the whole forum ) The only thing I would suggest is let go of the 'blue' bit being so important,look for the dog underneath the coat first and if it happens to be blue well than thats a bonus.

    I don't see any reason why you could not own an Amstaff or Stafford . Everyone needs to work for goodness sake. Many,many dogs do not even get an hour a day exercise and training. You will need to be extra vigilant though in your training/socialisation the someone who has hours up their sleeve. The fact that you are enrolling in a club and taking dog everywhere ( like mine really lol ) with you in car is also an added bonus. Many good breeders would love to hear from someone like yourself but they will be sure to endeavour that the dog will really get that hour's exercise/training. When you say the dog will be an inside outside dog , do you mean outside whilst you are at work and inside when home ? If so you will need to ensure you have a super secure yard with fencing and lockable gate. Also be prepared to have them turn them selves inside out when you get home each day as they really are a people orientated breed.

    Beloz and CC

    Thanks for lifting my spirit to own a staffy and amstaff

    I need to know a way to make the dogs socialized and properly trained, also lots of activities with my busy lifestyle.
    Will PM both for further advise.

    I will also try RSPCA and local shelters as everyone suggested.

    This space will be updated until I found my dog.

    Keira&Pheonix will also highly consider Mastiff and Bulldog

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChoppaChop View Post
    Oh rubbish K&P , what a very long bow to draw.
    There is nothing wrong with an hour dedicated to exercise/training. Especially as the dog will be going with them wherever they go as well.
    Well some of us are more dedicated to dogs living happy, fullfilling lives then others.

    Be realistic this is Australia. You are very limited in where you can take a dog with you and a dog which hasn't had proper socialisation, training and excercise will be a nuisance and won't be welcomed by even places that are dog friendly including friends houses.

    How can you suggest this person adopt a Bull Arab ie: a hunting breed when he has just rehomed 2 GSP's (hunting breeds) because they felt they lacked the time and yard to keep them. Seriously!

  8. #28

    Default

    By the way - anyone have a knowledge if XXL PTS exist in AUS? like the link I provided in my first post

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keira & Phoenix View Post
    Well some of us are more dedicated to dogs living happy, fullfilling lives then others.

    Be realistic this is Australia. You are very limited in where you can take a dog with you and a dog which hasn't had proper socialisation, training and excercise will be a nuisance and won't be welcomed by even places that are dog friendly including friends houses.

    How can you suggest this person adopt a Bull Arab ie: a hunting breed when he has just rehomed 2 GSP's (hunting breeds) because they felt they lacked the time and yard to keep them. Seriously!


    You know sometimes K&P it wouldn't hurt to put your judgemental nature on hold for a second.

    I have already explained that my girl ,although yes by breed is a hunter,is by nature and temp the most placid,sweetest,laid back type of dog I've ever met. She has little to no prey drive and is by far at her happiest when spread out on the couch or bed. She is in no way a 'hunter'.

    That is why I can suggest it.

    And who are you to assume that this dog will not be properly trained/socialised ?
    I know I cannot make that assumption. And every single one of us here have a dogs welfare at heart so dont try that card either.

    Now please stop detracting from the OP thread.
    Last edited by ChoppaChop; 01-25-2012 at 11:03 AM.

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChoppaChop View Post
    You know sometimes K&P it wouldn't hurt to put your judgemental nature on hold for a second.

    I have already explained that my girl ,although yes by breed is a hunter,is by nature and temp the most placid,sweetest,laid back type of dog I've ever met. She has little to no prey drive and is by far at her happiest when spread out on the couch or bed. She is in no way a 'hunter'.

    That is why I can suggest it.

    And who are you to assume that this dog will not be properly trained/socialised ?
    I know I cannot make that assumption. And every single one of us here have a dogs welfare at heart so dont try that card either.

    Now please stop detracting from the OP thread.
    I am trying to be realistic, so that the OP has a realistic view of what is required for these breeds and what is required to bring up a behaviourally healthy and happy dog.

    I would rather be OVER realistic then under and have someone go away with the wrong expectations.

    I would rather a dog be over socialised (no such thing) then to be under socialised.

    I would rather the OP go away and bring home a breed that may not have been on his list to start off with but that suits his lifestyle and that they are able to keep for life then to go away and bring home the exact breed he wants that doesn't suit his lifestyle and then have to rehome or PTS that dog.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •