Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Rotten dog

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,291

    Default Rotten dog

    I took Banjo with me when I went to visit a friend. We were chatting in the backyard when I suddenly noticed a bad smell and then saw the dog rolling around on her back on the lawn. I yelled at the dog and ran over to see where the dead animal was, as that was what it smelled like. Turned out it was rotten eggs!!! She must have gotten them from the compost heap and my friend said they'd been there for at least 3 months. The whole yard stank to high heaven. And the dog... Let's just say we gagged when she came within 10 metres of us.

    So I had to wash Banjo then and there. First time since I've had her! She had never rolled in anything smelly before (I knew that was pure luck) and I tend to just take my dogs for swims instead of washing. She has shown fear of having water poured over her so I was bracing myself for a battle.

    I got a bucket with warm water and a container, tied the dog up at a pole and washed her with the only shampoo I could find in the car which was Malaseb. She tried to get away from me, but eventually calmed down and it was not as hard as I thought to pour the water over her. She was obviously feeling very sorry for herself though. She needs a second wash too, but it will have to wait till tomorrow.

    My old dog was always rolling in dead animals (rotting carp was her fav) so I usually keep dog shampoo in the car.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    1,828

    Default

    Ohhh yuck!! LOL

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    945

    Default

    That's such a disgusting habit! Nero goes into a kind of frenzy if he finds something interesting to roll in. During our Christmas break he was rolling ecstatically in a heap of very dead mussles he found on the beach. You cannot imagine the stink! I did not know anything could possibly smell that bad - yet he still seemed to think he could sleep in our bed!

  4. #4

    Default

    Yuck!

    One of mine loves rolling over dead things, the other just gets down and rubs his cheeks over bird poo on the ground.
    The one who loves dead things used to go to the same spot in our yard every time she went out when we first moved in here and roll on her back.
    I checked the ground and there was nothing there.
    A few days later and she was still doing it, I dug around the ground a bit and there was a tiny dead mouse just under the dirt, completely dried and mostly just bone.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bundaberg QLD
    Posts
    3,301

    Default

    Oh no. 3months !!!! Thats bad. No...thats bloody terrible.
    I can still smell the rotten eggs we used to throw at each other on my mates farm when we where kids. Its a smell you never forget.

    Just happen to have some malaseb in your car...LOL...crack up. You mentioned a while back you had a pigs ear or a rawhide chew or somthing like that in your car for the dog in the ute at your work. I can just picture your car having all sorts of doggy bits and pieces in it 'just in case'. LOL.


    Quote Originally Posted by reyzor View Post
    Education is important, but big biceps are more importanter ...
    DONT SIC YOUR DOGMA ON ME !

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern NSW
    Posts
    3,784

    Default

    Sorry I have to laugh....We have dead carp on the lake foreshores....So we often have to have the quick swim before going home .........Don't you love the way they love to get smelly
    Pets are forever

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,291

    Default

    I found just water doesn't do much to get dead carp smell off a dog though! I remember many a trip home from the lake with a putrid dog in the back of the car. With all the windows open and hoping that we wouldn't get too many red lights. Hence the habit of keeping shampoo in the car. Usually environmentally friendly, so I can use it near a lake or river.

    Sean, my car is a bit of a black hole. Anything that goes in, rarely comes out. Until it's needed.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    1,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Oh no. 3months !!!! Thats bad. No...thats bloody terrible.
    I can still smell the rotten eggs we used to throw at each other on my mates farm when we where kids. Its a smell you never forget.

    Just happen to have some malaseb in your car...LOL...crack up. You mentioned a while back you had a pigs ear or a rawhide chew or somthing like that in your car for the dog in the ute at your work. I can just picture your car having all sorts of doggy bits and pieces in it 'just in case'. LOL.
    A girl's gotta be prepared Sean!!! Helloooo??!! lol (just messin with ya!! lol)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    se qld
    Posts
    836

    Default

    On the subject of gross stuff - today was pretty wet in SE Qld and I unfortunately found a secret stash of the doggy kind.
    The goodies included a pig snout which had re-hydrated itself to live piggy pink. Ick.

    It reminded me of the pig snout sandwich (with mayo) from Hot Shots 2.

  10. #10

    Default

    Zoe loves her smelly perfume. Dexter, not at all.
    There was one day came into the bedroom to find a very smelly kangaroo hind leg on my bed. One of the wonders of living in the country. I had to strip my bed and do a big wash. Still wonder where they found it.
    I have found the odd re-hydrated pigs ear. That would be Zoe, she loves to bury her stash.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •