Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 70

Thread: Dangerous Dog Amnisty Ends

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there
    Posts
    447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clubsprint View Post
    The dog has to fit the description in the legislation.
    The same as many NON "pitbull" dogs met the standard in Queensland under BSL.
    ALL kittens are devil spawn wrapped in cuteness!

  2. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mymatejack View Post
    My dog is desexed, microchipped and registered. That doesnt mean squat with these new laws. If some council ranger decides my dog is a restricted breed, he will at best be condemned to living in a cage, only walked on lead and muzzled in public.
    If your dog is desexed, microchipped and registered you'll give the council no reason to come near you. If your dog is declared you'd have to make sure your back yard \enclsure has to conform to specific guideliness. There is nothing about caging. you will have to walk hiim on a leash and muzzled, much like Greyhound owners.

  3. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kdee View Post
    The same as many NON "pitbull" dogs met the standard in Queensland under BSL.
    The legislation is designed to get rid of Pitbulls etc and crosses. It has been worded to get rid of the cross bred loophole in the previous legislation. It doesn't go far enough AFAIK

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there
    Posts
    447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clubsprint View Post
    The legislation is designed to get rid of Pitbulls etc and crosses. It has been worded to get rid of the cross bred loophole in the previous legislation. It doesn't go far enough AFAIK

    It will still condemn non "pitbulls" if you look at the legislation that was enacted in QLD it was a dismal failure and the same type of legislation, based on looks and enacted as a sweeping legislation net to class all "pitbulls", types and crosses of under the BSL. It caught up many Staffordshire x breeds.

    I understand totally and support that people don't want dog attacks happening and honestly only a sub human would want that, but how will BSL change the fact that there are feral "owners" that don't care about their dogs or the people they attack weather it be a GSD, Mastiff, Bull breed, Labrador, mongrel, x breed etc, these cretins move from one breed to the next and will use them as a penis extension and status symbol of their idiocy as they always have.

    All BSL will do is prohibit a breed until the idiots start "owning" the next type of breed then what? do we kill all of that breed as well? and breed them out of existence so on and so on? or would the government be better of doing some real legislation that worked and targeted owners and conditions of ownership of all breeds to stop the problem before it started? as well as a legislation that would drop numbers of dumped and miss treated animals.
    ALL kittens are devil spawn wrapped in cuteness!

  5. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mymatejack View Post
    I'm no lawyer so all my comments are just my interpretation of what i read but ...

    If a papered pure breed staffordshire bull terrier(or any breed other than an amstaff) is deemed to fit the standard of an APBT then that dog can be deemed a restricted breed. I imagine a council worker has some discretion(i.e they'll hopefully recognise ankc registration papers) however if it does go to vcat then i believe that vcat has to uphold whatever is written as law, in which case purebreed papers for any dog other than an amstaff are not worth the paper they're written on. Again, i'm not a lawyer, this is simply my interpretation of what i've read. This point probably deserves its own thread. Anyone wish to comment?
    That is incorrect.

    All pedigree dogs ARE safe so long as they have ANKC papers. That includes SBT, Amstaff, etc etc.

    They are specifically talking about Amstaff in the legislation as they are the breed that have the closest resemblance to a PB. So they are saying if your dog is an Amstaff then you need to prove it is an Amstaff. If you have a Xbreed Amstaff then basically it is automatically a Pitbull because you can't prove otherwise.

    The breeds that should be worried especially are American Bulldogs because they are not an ANKC recognised breed which means no pedigree papers for them and they will meet the standards.

    Clubsprint if you really think that SBT x are going to be fine then your head is stuck further into the sand then I expected. Read the standard it includes dogs 14 kgs - 36 kgs and 43 - 53 cms. Those weight/height ranges will easily include most SBT x's as well as many other breeds, and as SBT (and other breeds) look very similar in appearance, including similar head shapes, short coat and muscular build it won't take much for them to be declared resctricted.

    FYI - Even if your dog is microchipped, desexed and registered (lets say as a Staffy X) then they can still come to your house and declare your dog a PB based on its appearance.

  6. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keira & Phoenix View Post
    That is incorrect.

    All pedigree dogs ARE safe so long as they have ANKC papers. That includes SBT, Amstaff, etc etc.

    They are specifically talking about Amstaff in the legislation as they are the breed that have the closest resemblance to a PB. So they are saying if your dog is an Amstaff then you need to prove it is an Amstaff. If you have a Xbreed Amstaff then basically it is automatically a Pitbull because you can't prove otherwise.

    The breeds that should be worried especially are American Bulldogs because they are not an ANKC recognised breed which means no pedigree papers for them and they will meet the standards.

    Clubsprint if you really think that SBT x are going to be fine then your head is stuck further into the sand then I expected. Read the standard it includes dogs 14 kgs - 36 kgs and 43 - 53 cms. Those weight/height ranges will easily include most SBT x's as well as many other breeds, and as SBT (and other breeds) look very similar in appearance, including similar head shapes, short coat and muscular build it won't take much for them to be declared resctricted.
    Amstaff enthusiasts must have had a strong lobbying group to have the AmStaff parts of the legislation included. To me they're all the same thing, Pitbull, American Staffy, American Bulldog, Yorkie etc. I agree that there will be some larger Staffy X's erroneously included. That's no reason not to have the legislation. FYI the first time I ever met a Staffy it killed a friends pet cat in no time flat. It basically tore this cat in half before anybody (the dogs owner,my friend or me) could react.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keira & Phoenix View Post
    FYI - Even if your dog is microchipped, desexed and registered (lets say as a Staffy X) then they can still come to your house and declare your dog a PB based on its appearance.
    Why would they unless they've got a complaint. and even then....
    And you may have to make changes to your fencing and put a sign up. It doesn't mean you automatically lose your dog.Of course if your dog is not registered.......big mistake but no-one can pretend ignorance. It's been no secret.

  7. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clubsprint View Post
    For starters you don't even live in Victoria so nothing is going to happen to your dog so you can stop the Chicken Little act. Why would the coucil have reason to declare your dog? Does it rush/bite people? Is he a problem barker? does he conform to one of the discriptions? Which one? is he an AmStaff/Pitbull/American Bulldog/Yorkie/ Whatevernamethisweek?
    ummm, where do i live then?

    Does my dog rush or bite people, well the only rushing is him running to say hello and no he's never bitten anyone. No he's not a problem barker. Depending on how close to the standard he needs to be he possibly does meet the standard(there's photo's of him in the dog photo's thread, go look and you tell me!). He is a staffordshire bull terrier without papers. I have a neighbour who has reported several of my other neighbours to the council for stupid little things, so its a real risk that he will report my dog. I have met one of the rangers from my local council and she seemed to be a nice lady, but who knows what will happen if they come and look my dog over.

  8. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keira & Phoenix View Post
    That is incorrect.

    All pedigree dogs ARE safe so long as they have ANKC papers. That includes SBT, Amstaff, etc etc.

    They are specifically talking about Amstaff in the legislation as they are the breed that have the closest resemblance to a PB. So they are saying if your dog is an Amstaff then you need to prove it is an Amstaff. If you have a Xbreed Amstaff then basically it is automatically a Pitbull because you can't prove otherwise.

    The breeds that should be worried especially are American Bulldogs because they are not an ANKC recognised breed which means no pedigree papers for them and they will meet the standards.

    Clubsprint if you really think that SBT x are going to be fine then your head is stuck further into the sand then I expected. Read the standard it includes dogs 14 kgs - 36 kgs and 43 - 53 cms. Those weight/height ranges will easily include most SBT x's as well as many other breeds, and as SBT (and other breeds) look very similar in appearance, including similar head shapes, short coat and muscular build it won't take much for them to be declared resctricted.

    FYI - Even if your dog is microchipped, desexed and registered (lets say as a Staffy X) then they can still come to your house and declare your dog a PB based on its appearance.
    I hope you are right about pedigree dogs(other than amstaff) however i can't see how vcat could take those papers into account the way the law is written. Is there somewhere else in the legislation that spells out that pedigree dogs are safe?

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE QLD
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clubsprint View Post
    Amstaff enthusiasts must have had a strong lobbying group to have the AmStaff parts of the legislation included. To me they're all the same thing, Pitbull, American Staffy, American Bulldog, Yorkie etc. I agree that there will be some larger Staffy X's erroneously included. That's no reason not to have the legislation. FYI the first time I ever met a Staffy it killed a friends pet cat in no time flat. It basically tore this cat in half before anybody (the dogs owner,my friend or me) could react.
    CS I know plenty of dogs that if given the chance would rip a cat to shreds in "no time flat". So don't be bringing it back on staffies. Your narrow-mindedness and inability to take in and respond to people's comments astounds me.

    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clubsprint View Post
    Rediculous crap. Your Dog doesn't fit the definition. It's too short for starters. Panic Merchant?
    You have no idea how tall her dog is. If you have actually read the standard that they are using the height which is 43 cm – 53 cm (this taken from the DPI website) at the withers. that can very very easily include many SBT's that I have seen, worked with and met out on the street.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." - Edward Hoagland

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •