Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Free Roaming Dogs Grrr

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,210

    Default Free Roaming Dogs Grrr

    Well Ruby got into a fight this morning in the middle of the road! My heart is still racing a million miles an hour!

    These people let him roam free all around their street all day, they dont even have a secure fence to keep him in if they wanted to!! Everytime i see him I think "I should call the council" but I never do!

    I got Ruby out of the car and they both bolted to the middle of the road and starting fighting. I didnt even see him there! It was easy to get ruby back but this other dog just kept coming at her which of course set her off again! She is very strong, I enerde up pulling her by the back legs (Thanks KP) and kicking at the other dog.

    I am usually so careful when I get her out of the car as I know this dog is always out but this morning I was just out of it! I am angry at the owners of this bloody dog, Im angry at Ruby for not listening and Im angry at myself for not being more careful!

    It was bloody scary, thank god she is ok but the other dog ended up running off so I dont know if anything happened to it!

    Ok Vent over.. I am literally still shaking
    Rubylisious


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,292

    Default

    How utterly frustrating and scary. Hope Ruby isn't too shaken.

    The dog not letting up doesn't sound like normal behaviour to me either. My dog had brief scraps with both of the bigger dogs in my street soon after we moved in (on our driveway when I was there) and after that they never approached eachother again for the 4 years she lived there!

    It's never good to not confine a dog properly, but with a dog like that it would be extra important!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    I see him everyday, his pretty old and Ruby is pretty full on. She runs right up to dogs and kind of stands over them! Which is what happened today, I think she may of scared him and just set him off! Yes it was scary and frustrating!
    Rubylisious


  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Lover View Post
    Well Ruby got into a fight this morning in the middle of the road! My heart is still racing a million miles an hour!

    These people let him roam free all around their street all day, they dont even have a secure fence to keep him in if they wanted to!! Everytime i see him I think "I should call the council" but I never do!

    I got Ruby out of the car and they both bolted to the middle of the road and starting fighting. I didnt even see him there! It was easy to get ruby back but this other dog just kept coming at her which of course set her off again! She is very strong, I enerde up pulling her by the back legs (Thanks KP) and kicking at the other dog.

    I am usually so careful when I get her out of the car as I know this dog is always out but this morning I was just out of it! I am angry at the owners of this bloody dog, Im angry at Ruby for not listening and Im angry at myself for not being more careful!

    It was bloody scary, thank god she is ok but the other dog ended up running off so I dont know if anything happened to it!

    Ok Vent over.. I am literally still shaking

    Oh no BL

    Glad my technique worked for you. Yes unfortunately when there is 2 dogs who both want to fight it is hard for 1 person to control it. So glad you are ok and that Ruby is ok.

    Please contact the council and report this incident NOW while it is still fresh in your memory. You know where it lives hay? That will make the whole thing easier as you can give the Rangers the exact address. Make sure you do it before another dog gets into it with this dog, as the next dog might not be Ruby's size and may get seriously injured.

    I hope you haven't coddled Ruby too much. I know it is hard not to but the worst thing you can do after this sort of thing is coddle the dog as you will make the dog feel like it has a reason to freak out next time. You should be acting like nothing happened, play a game with her, try to make it as positive as you can.

    Don't be angry at Ruby she is a dog. Don't be angry at yourself, although if you are unloading her out the front of your house you should have a hold on her lead, and I am sure you probably will after this incident but we all make mistakes it is part of being human.

    Take a few deep breaths, have a tea/coffee/strong drink LOL and relax.
    Last edited by Keira & Phoenix; 09-26-2011 at 08:47 AM.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beloz View Post
    How utterly frustrating and scary. Hope Ruby isn't too shaken.

    The dog not letting up doesn't sound like normal behaviour to me either. My dog had brief scraps with both of the bigger dogs in my street soon after we moved in (on our driveway when I was there) and after that they never approached eachother again for the 4 years she lived there!

    It's never good to not confine a dog properly, but with a dog like that it would be extra important!
    Actually it is not that unusual once dogs are that highly aroused it is hard to get their arousal levels down to a point where they don't want to fight anymore, they will keep going back until they are separated. It is a reason I avoid dog parks because arousal levels in those places are insane and no one is making an effort to keep their dogs arousal levels down and high arousal levels in play can quickly turn into aggression.

    In your case obviously the dogs sorted out the issue and that was the end of it for whatever reason. Or maybe they didn't really dislike each other, maybe one was over aroused on that day and that started a scrap.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keira & Phoenix View Post
    Actually it is not that unusual once dogs are that highly aroused it is hard to get their arousal levels down to a point where they don't want to fight anymore, they will keep going back until they are separated. It is a reason I avoid dog parks because arousal levels in those places are insane and no one is making an effort to keep their dogs arousal levels down and high arousal levels in play can quickly turn into aggression.

    In your case obviously the dogs sorted out the issue and that was the end of it for whatever reason. Or maybe they didn't really dislike each other, maybe one was over aroused on that day and that started a scrap.
    No, that seemed to be the pattern with my dog whenever she did get into a scrap. 30 sec noise and bluff fight, walk away, keep distance from other dog forever after (but look very threatening from a distance!).

    The standing over other dogs is annoying, isn't it? It is so obviously provocative. Some dogs will just submit or slink away, others will just get stirred up because of it and play "the game".

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beloz View Post
    No, that seemed to be the pattern with my dog whenever she did get into a scrap. 30 sec noise and bluff fight, walk away, keep distance from other dog forever after (but look very threatening from a distance!).

    The standing over other dogs is annoying, isn't it? It is so obviously provocative. Some dogs will just submit or slink away, others will just get stirred up because of it and play "the game".
    This was the dog you were talking about in the other thread hay...the once you say was a bully? Fair enough, how strange haha.

    Yes it is very provocative and as you said depending on the dog will often start a fight.

  8. #8

    Default

    You calling the council now?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by puggerup View Post
    You calling the council now?
    Going to call them in my lunch break. If someone has seen whats happened they might of already called them! I hope Ruby doesnt get into trouble for this thou
    Rubylisious


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,292

    Default

    You don't even have to mention the fight if you don't want to? It's the fact that the dog is not properly contained that is the main issue, I reckon.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •