Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 68

Thread: Poodle Was Mauled in at an Off Leash Beach

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    589

    Default

    I am sorry but when your dog doesn't require vet treatment it isn't a "mauling". The whole article doesn't even say the poodle was actually injured in the attack.

    First post, correct no mention of breed but discounting the story already, no mention of irresponsible owner

    I would say it is because there was actually no bite marks left on the dog, it was probably more of a "scrap" then anything else ie: the Staffy was telling the Poodle off, if the Staffy was serious Poodle would be seriously wounded. The Poodle was possibly eyeballing the Staffy. When you are only getting the story from one side it is always going to make the other side look guilty and themselves and their dog innocent.

    Second post, breed is introduced, damage minimalised, possibilties introduced


    is more posturing and bullying then anything and that is what this incident sounds like.
    Not saying the Staffy (if that is what it was) is blameless and the owner certainly needs to keep his dog on lead from now on and do some more training with the dog (but doubt that will happen).


    Third post, minimalising it again, then actually mentioning the owner of the "staffy"and suggesting he shouldnt let his dog off the lead again


    Better to ignore the breed of dog and focus on the attack instead, it matters not whether it was a Staffy, a Bullmastiff or any other breed.
    And the reason I bolded the word "possibly" was to stop comments like yours above
    I only pointed out the dog was not injured because they used the word MAUL in the story

    Fifth post, now your changing to it doesnt matter what breed it is, even introducing another breed name "bullmastiff".
    You use the word "possibly" because you can make a statement about anything without consequence
    So the dog wasnt injured because they used the word "maul"???



    I'll leave it there..............

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dan4nas View Post
    So why is no one saying, PROVE that is was a POODLE!!!!!!!

    Who cares what breed it is.

    Actually i was going to bring this up, did you see the photo i think theyve been had

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jadielee87 View Post
    I brought the breed into it because it shits me that they speculate what it is with out knowing for sure.
    I'm sorry, but I disagree. I think it was relevant to the story to mention a possible breed just to get an idea of the size and the strength of the dog in comparison to the poodle. If it had been a chihuaha, everyone would've immediately said that the poodle and it's owners should toughen up or something. If it would've been a GSD it would've been an even more uneven match. They could have said a medium-sized dog, but that would've not given any indication of it's weight for example. Staffies and often staffy crosses are heavy dogs with a low centre of gravity and when they use their weight to tackle another dog or pin it down, a lighter dog - especially one as light as a poodle - doesn't stand much of a chance.

    I did not read anything in that article that suggested that the attack happened because it was a staffy, so I don't know why anyone would object to them mentioning it.

    I'm only saying this because I believe that being oversensitive to any mention of breeds because of the BSL stuff, you are in danger of making anti-BSL arguments appear less believable. I didn't phrase that very well, but I hope you know what I'm getting at.

    I think we all acknowledge that any dog can attack another dog and in that regard it doesn't matter what breed it is. But you cannot say that breed shouldn't be mentioned when we ourselves put quite a bit of importance on breed in everyday situations. I'm always asking people what breed/s their dogs are. I love meeting so many different breeds on my walk. It makes me smile when I notice them displaying behaviour that seems quite characteristic for their breed. Etc. Breed does matter, just not in relation to aggression or anti-social behaviour.

    I'm ranting now...
    Last edited by Beloz; 09-23-2011 at 10:26 AM.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    589

    Default

    I better be careful that people arent thinking im posting to post but i must say to Kiera that i am not trying to personally attack you im merely pointing out that from someone who sits on either side of the fence your argument is driven purely by emotion, whether you see it or not.
    I said earlier if it had been a Neo ( my chosen breed) i would be angry foremost at the owner of the dog rather than offer up anything else, even with the info the same as was written in this article.
    If you dont want BSL then your best bet is to just aim your posts towards those responsible for attacks, that being the owner of the dog that attacks.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern NSW
    Posts
    3,784

    Default

    My only statement in this is....Tessa was attacked by a Blue Heeler last March on one of our walks near the Kennel Club........Loose dog, she was on lead.

    She was mauled, had huge neck injuries and some on her chest. I DID NOT go to a vet. I am very self sufficient when my animals are injured and so are many other people I know.
    Going to a vet does not necessarily state how bad injuries are.

    Slightly off topic, but relevant..........-----Soapbox-----

    Rushing dogs of any Breed is just not right. Even friendly dogs rushing at a nervous dogs is wrong and may cause a fight.
    That is why I am for educating people in to how to make their dogs relate to other dogs. teach your dog to approach slowly. Do not tolerate your dog being rude, even if not aggressive. And if they are keep them on lead.........It is one of my pet hates in a lot of puppy classes how dogs are "taught" to have full on play and silliness when they meet other puppies/dogs. And this lack of control often leads to aggression ( even if it is only from one of the dogs). And from that it can also lead to human aggression.
    It is one of the reasons why I take my Tessa to puppy classes. She teaches youngsters how to behave with other dog. she is not nasty just reprimands quick.
    The amount of meetings of dogs, where one dog be it lab, staffy or what ever for example is rushing in friendly. Panics the other dog and a fight starts. It is what I hate about off leash parks.......And everyone says "but my dog is friendly"
    Pets are forever

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newfsie View Post
    My only statement in this is....Tessa was attacked by a Blue Heeler last March on one of our walks near the Kennel Club........Loose dog, she was on lead.

    She was mauled, had huge neck injuries and some on her chest. I DID NOT go to a vet. I am very self sufficient when my animals are injured and so are many other people I know.
    Going to a vet does not necessarily state how bad injuries are.

    Slightly off topic, but relevant..........-----Soapbox-----

    Rushing dogs of any Breed is just not right. Even friendly dogs rushing at a nervous dogs is wrong and may cause a fight.
    That is why I am for educating people in to how to make their dogs relate to other dogs. teach your dog to approach slowly. Do not tolerate your dog being rude, even if not aggressive. And if they are keep them on lead.........It is one of my pet hates in a lot of puppy classes how dogs are "taught" to have full on play and silliness when they meet other puppies/dogs. And this lack of control often leads to aggression ( even if it is only from one of the dogs). And from that it can also lead to human aggression.
    It is one of the reasons why I take my Tessa to puppy classes. She teaches youngsters how to behave with other dog. she is not nasty just reprimands quick.
    The amount of meetings of dogs, where one dog be it lab, staffy or what ever for example is rushing in friendly. Panics the other dog and a fight starts. It is what I hate about off leash parks.......And everyone says "but my dog is friendly"
    I agree newfsie. My dog still does it. She stalks and then she jumps up at the last minute and runs straight towards the other dog - and then runs past them hoping they'll chase her. It can take a few minutes of running around before she actually greets them.

    I don't really have a problem if she does that with dogs she knows well - they love all the stalking and suddenly jumping up as much as she does. But I am definitely trying to teach her to first greet dogs she doesn't know well and then play if the dog reacts well. I've only just started working on that because I realised her youthful exuberance could lead to a fight quite easily.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern NSW
    Posts
    3,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beloz View Post
    I agree newfsie. My dog does it. She stalks and then she jumps up at the last minute and runs straight towards the other dog - and then runs past them hoping they'll chase her. It can take a few minutes of running around before she actually greets them.

    I don't really have a problem if she does that with dogs she knows well - they love all the stalking and suddenly jumping up as much as she does. But I am definitely trying to teach her to first greet dogs she doesn't know well and then play if the dog reacts well.
    I agree......Katy would love it, she would play the game. My Annabelle might attack, but she would be on lead. Tessa would snarl and show her teeth. And Lukey would go to sleep and just not look at your dog. This is it. different dogs would react differently. you are responsible for your dog. Good for you.......
    Pets are forever

  8. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peter70 View Post
    I am sorry but when your dog doesn't require vet treatment it isn't a "mauling". The whole article doesn't even say the poodle was actually injured in the attack.

    First post, correct no mention of breed but discounting the story already, no mention of irresponsible owner

    I would say it is because there was actually no bite marks left on the dog, it was probably more of a "scrap" then anything else ie: the Staffy was telling the Poodle off, if the Staffy was serious Poodle would be seriously wounded. The Poodle was possibly eyeballing the Staffy. When you are only getting the story from one side it is always going to make the other side look guilty and themselves and their dog innocent.

    Second post, breed is introduced, damage minimalised, possibilties introduced


    is more posturing and bullying then anything and that is what this incident sounds like.
    Not saying the Staffy (if that is what it was) is blameless and the owner certainly needs to keep his dog on lead from now on and do some more training with the dog (but doubt that will happen).


    Third post, minimalising it again, then actually mentioning the owner of the "staffy"and suggesting he shouldnt let his dog off the lead again


    Better to ignore the breed of dog and focus on the attack instead, it matters not whether it was a Staffy, a Bullmastiff or any other breed.
    And the reason I bolded the word "possibly" was to stop comments like yours above
    I only pointed out the dog was not injured because they used the word MAUL in the story

    Fifth post, now your changing to it doesnt matter what breed it is, even introducing another breed name "bullmastiff".
    You use the word "possibly" because you can make a statement about anything without consequence
    So the dog wasnt injured because they used the word "maul"???



    I'll leave it there..............
    Once again you have picked parts of my posts out and disregarded certain parts. My first sentence in my first post was about how terrible it would have been for owners and dog, FULL STOP.

    I only bought up the mauling because it really seemed over the top wording to me. As I have already said I also believe the media probably used that word for effect not the family.

    I said I used breeds in the first posts so I could discuss the situation without it becoming confusing. But at no stage did I speculate on whether they were what they were stated as being.

    I never changed to "it doesn't matter what breed" I was always of the mind set that it doesn't matter what breeds were involved. And just as an FYI my other dog is a Bullmastiff X so when I was trying to think of other breeds to mention it was the first thing that popped into mind, no other reason.


    Quote Originally Posted by peter70 View Post
    Actually i was going to bring this up, did you see the photo i think theyve been had
    Actually that is a Toy Poodle.
    The reason no one questions the breed of the poodle was a) it was the poodles owners who gave the report and gave the breed of their dog and b) there is a picture of the poodle attached to the article.

    Quote Originally Posted by peter70 View Post
    I better be careful that people arent thinking im posting to post but i must say to Kiera that i am not trying to personally attack you im merely pointing out that from someone who sits on either side of the fence your argument is driven purely by emotion, whether you see it or not.
    I said earlier if it had been a Neo ( my chosen breed) i would be angry foremost at the owner of the dog rather than offer up anything else, even with the info the same as was written in this article.
    If you dont want BSL then your best bet is to just aim your posts towards those responsible for attacks, that being the owner of the dog that attacks.
    LOL @ the posting to post.

    I honestly wasn't posting with any emotion until your first post, because your first post was an attack on me. All I was posting was out of curiosity and healthy debate/discussion about dogs and dog behaviour and the media etc, as I said no one else had any dramas with ANY of my posts until you came on. I posted as things came to mind as well.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE QLD
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beloz View Post
    I'm only saying this because I believe that being oversensitive to any mention of breeds because of the BSL stuff, you are in danger of making anti-BSL arguments appear less believable. I didn't phrase that very well, but I hope you know what I'm getting at.
    I understand what you are saying! When I posted this thread originally the bit about the breed was added in simply because I found it annoying that they would name a breed willy nilly with out knowing (for sure) what it.

    Quote Originally Posted by peter70 View Post
    I better be careful that people arent thinking im posting to post but i must say to Kiera that i am not trying to personally attack you im merely pointing out that from someone who sits on either side of the fence your argument is driven purely by emotion, whether you see it or not.
    *Personally* I find it hard to separate emotion from fact or logic when I am talking about a breed that I either own or come into contact with on a regular basis. It is bias on my part. But that's how I am and I think I do the same with other things as well (not just dogs)

    I completely agree the owner of the "attacking" dog was at fault for not having complete control over their animal in an area/situation where something completely unexpected (such as this incident) can happen.

    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

  10. #50

    Default

    One of my dogs seems to be a "target" for aggressive dogs. I'm not sure what causes it but she is friendly and submissive.

    She, and I, can deal with disagreements between dogs... over sticks or toys, or one getting in another's face. But it is a COMPLETELY different matter when she is minding her own business, a dog comes up behind her and has a go. I don't care whether the dog inflicts an actual injury or not - it is NOT ok and it is NOT normal dog behaviour.

    It can severely affect both the dog and owner's mental state, whether it draws blood or not. When a dog starts posturing and snarling, how am I to know it's just going to rough her up a bit rather than kill her?

    While I do agree that the word 'maul' is probably not the right one, if they were concerned enough to report it, then it certainly gave them a fright and is worth investigating.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •