Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: Bum Sniff

  1. #11

    Default

    This wasn't an off lead area well all had our dogs on leads (except for the GSD who was behind a large gate).
    The APBT, was being pulled away from mine before it even got close, which is what freak me out, because I thought, if the owner doesn't trust it, it mustn't be very friendly.
    This is why I almost step on the road when walking past :/

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    140

    Default

    I always keep my dog closs when walking past another dog because A. you dont know that other dog and what it might do... and B. my dog is very large and people get intimidated about him and i dont want their dog to get scared... just because she was pulling it away doesn't mean she doesn't trust the dog, she may know that it doesnt react well with other dogs and doesnt want to cause an unnessacery fight...

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by puggerup View Post
    This wasn't an off lead area well all had our dogs on leads (except for the GSD who was behind a large gate).
    The APBT, was being pulled away from mine before it even got close, which is what freak me out, because I thought, if the owner doesn't trust it, it mustn't be very friendly.
    This is why I almost step on the road when walking past :/
    Pugger - Had I had Keira (my Bullmastiff X Ridgie) with me and you were coming towards me I would have done the same thing, actually I have had to back track on several occasions whilst on walks with her because I didn't have enough room to pass the dog without Keira reaching her threshold and losing the plot and reacting to the other dog, whilst I know I can handle her and I know she wouldn't be able to get to the other dog what I don't like is making other dog owners feel scared or uncomfortable by being too close to them when she has this reaction plus it is never nice to get dirty looks like you are some kind of horrible person.

    The fact that is was an APBT or APBT X means nothing. At least the owner was responsible and tried to steer clear of you when clearly his dog would probably react to yours.

    Also some owners do this automatically and actually create their dogs bad reaction, yanking on a lead when walking your dog past others just teaches your dog that there is something to be worried about and then they start reacting.

  4. #14

    Default

    I walk off the side of the path, put Batty in a sit stay and either run through tricks with him (to the delight of most children) or ask for focus while the other people walk past.

    I usually get comments of "I wish I could get my dog to do that" or similar.

    The owner was doing the right thing trying to keep her dog away from yours. I don't see what the problem is with that, nor do I see why the breed is relevant at all? Sounds like a couple of dozen dogs I walk past if I change my walking time with Batty, of varying breeds and with varying owners.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    140

    Default

    yes another person just because its an apbt likes to try give them a bad name. i have to hold onto my mothers jack russel because she will have a go at any dog that walks past were as my 60kg bullmastiff would just like to play... what would you be more worried by ??

  6. #16

    Default

    I wish wish wish most people avoided me in Melb with Sir, Mondo, and Star. Would have made life so much easier for me. I don't have dogs to be a dog walking person magnet and I love my personal space.
    If you find yourself going through hell; Don't stay. Just keep on going.
    Beau.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE QLD
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel&Bandit View Post
    I always keep my dog closs when walking past another dog because A. you dont know that other dog and what it might do... and B. my dog is very large and people get intimidated about him and i dont want their dog to get scared... just because she was pulling it away doesn't mean she doesn't trust the dog, she may know that it doesnt react well with other dogs and doesnt want to cause an unnessacery fight...
    This is exactly what I do with Harley, I don't know exactly what he or the other dog will do so it is best to keep him close or out of the way (by out of the way, I mean sit to the side and wait till the dogs/people are past). I don't trust him around other dogs and its to keep others people's dog safe (and Harley). Plus he loves to jump up and get excited when he see's people as well, he doesn't understand that they don't appreciate puppy kisses and cuddles like I do!

    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

  8. #18

    Default

    I said it could have been a lab or Chi.. I didn't have a glasses on (obviously not a Chi )

    I didn't say the owner did anything wrong, what I was saying is that from her reaction, I wasn't going anywhere near it. It's a shame I had to pretty much step on to a main road to walk past though. Pop a muzzle on if you are that worried IYKWIM.
    Miley is very well socialised and polite. She used to be lead aggressive, but I trained her out of that quick smart.. even though she is a tiny little thing.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    QLD, Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelanBatty View Post
    I walk off the side of the path, put Batty in a sit stay and either run through tricks with him (to the delight of most children) or ask for focus while the other people walk past.

    I usually get comments of "I wish I could get my dog to do that" or similar.

    The owner was doing the right thing trying to keep her dog away from yours. I don't see what the problem is with that, nor do I see why the breed is relevant at all? Sounds like a couple of dozen dogs I walk past if I change my walking time with Batty, of varying breeds and with varying owners.
    this is what i do with mine, it also helps having a relaxed but firm grip, i mean dont tense up just grip, the dog knows if you are worried but doesn't know what about so gets unsettled and defensive. My dogs just want to play with other dogs but they dont realize they own weight and strength, which is a worry when they play with small dogs as it looks aggressive and the owner thinks it is too. If you dont want you dog to pull to other dogs just do a quick about turn and continue walking back the other way, it shows the dogs they need to behave to get what they want, and my god does it work!! obviously not all of that was a reply to AngelanBatty but i dont know how to multi quote!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,290

    Default

    I don't like letting my dog meet other dogs when she's on the leash because there will always be that moment when she suddenly leaps sideways and yanks on the lead without warning because she wants to play with the dog and that inevitably hurts my back!

    If I do want to keep her away, I do the same as Hyacinth though. I distract her.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •