Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 293

Thread: 10 Years

  1. #241
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    QLD, Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by puggerup View Post
    Didn't say they were purchased from them.. doesn't mean you would pass a psych assessment though.
    haha
    in all seriousness though, i had to pass one, it was a condition that my mentor/trainer has, otherwise he wont go near you or your dogs. still it was funny, im sane enough to laugh at myself!

  2. #242

    Default

    Many security companies purchase dogs already trained. However the guards have to gain a dog handling certificate before they are allowed to take the dogs on duty.

    Military dogs are fostered out until 7 months of age with families. It is similar to guide dogs but with a much stricter training regime.

  3. #243

    Default

    That's correct Crested, which brings me back to my statement that these dogs are not to be handled by the general public. If a dog attacks someone under a person with a dog handling certificate, on duty, then they won't face prosecution, however, one of these dogs attacks someone while under the care of a regular shmoe, regular shmoe risks going to a place where dropping soap is an issue.
    Last edited by puggerup; 09-18-2011 at 11:15 PM. Reason: typo

  4. #244
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    QLD, Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by puggerup View Post
    That's correct Crested, which brings me back to my statement that these dogs are not to be handled by the general public. If a dog attacks someone under a person with a dog handling certificate, on duty, then they won't face persecution, however, one of these dogs attacks someone while under the care of a regular shmoe, regular shmoe risks going to a place where dropping soap is an issue.
    according to opinions, i best work on my grip

  5. #245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDG View Post
    the person attacking you or stalking your are asking for trouble. most personal pretection dogs are owned by people who have stalkers or agressive/dangerous exs. by the time the police can do something you are already hurt or worse. so how are law abiding owners asking for trouble?
    hi luke, my comment was aimed at people who buy a dog and train it themselves to be a guard dog. After reading more of your posts i see my post was off track.

    As far as dogs proffessionaly trained in protection, i honestly don't know much so i'll not comment. However yourself and angelanbetty put forward a compelling argument imo - also one that makes sense

  6. #246
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    QLD, Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mymatejack View Post
    hi luke, my comment was aimed at people who buy a dog and train it themselves to be a guard dog. After reading more of your posts i see my post was off track.

    As far as dogs proffessionaly trained in protection, i honestly don't know much so i'll not comment. However yourself and angelanbetty put forward a compelling argument imo - also one that makes sense
    no worries, everyone is entitled to an opinion, i agree with the fact that unlisenced and untrained people have no business training there own dog as google can only get you so far!

  7. #247
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    QLD, Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    299

    Default

    furthermore, people who own such dogs should have on going training, if you cant make the training or cant be bothered then the dog should be taken away.

  8. #248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDG View Post
    furthermore, people who own such dogs should have on going training, if you cant make the training or cant be bothered then the dog should be taken away.
    Agreed 300% lol. They aren't for the lazy or faint of heart. They are hard work and require a truckload of dedication and respect.

    They are necessary in some situations though. I hope that that choice is never taken because I'm sure if it is we will see a huge jump in attacks from humans to humans. A jump in the number of rapes, murders, and harrassment. None of which is a good thing.

    Humans do worse to humans than dogs can do.

  9. #249
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    QLD, Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelanBatty View Post
    Agreed 300% lol. They aren't for the lazy or faint of heart. They are hard work and require a truckload of dedication and respect.

    They are necessary in some situations though. I hope that that choice is never taken because I'm sure if it is we will see a huge jump in attacks from humans to humans. A jump in the number of rapes, murders, and harrassment. None of which is a good thing.

    Humans do worse to humans than dogs can do.
    A LOT of hard work goes into keeping these two stimulated and fit/healthy and of course up to scratch on what they are there to do. I find the love carrying my tools for me in a dog pack pack!! I have never had the problem of my tools going missing If you don't respect the animal it will never respect you, is what i was told by my trainer.

    We also do worse to the dogs than dogs can do eachother

  10. #250
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,292

    Default

    My stepdad had GSDs that he used for security work. They both had to do rigorous training before he was allowed to take him to work with him. And the dog was very well socialised (part of our family and an inside dog) and never threatened anyone apart from in those controlled conditions at work.

    He did only have to use his guard dog skills once or twice and both times the thief that got caught barely had a mark on him.

    And I loved taking the dog for walks when I was a teenager! I could walk around after dark in a mini-skirt and I knew I did not have to worry about being harrassed at all with this dog by my side.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •