Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Importing Dogs from Europe to Australia

  1. #1

    Default Importing Dogs from Europe to Australia

    Hi there.

    First of all. I would like to know a bit about importing dogs to Australia. I would be especially interested from hearing from people who have imported dogs from Europe. I read another thread on this site about importing, but I would like to get more precise ideas of the costs and requirements and the hassles which normally go with such a feat, and maybe just hear some more about people’s experiences.

    And second of all. This is my first post and something of an introduction. I picked the name Bulldog Fan because I am first and foremost a fan of American Pit Bull Terriers although I like dogs in general. These dogs would be my breed for life if it weren’t for darn breed specific legislation. But do not worry, I am not asking about importing APBTs to Australia here!

    Any help is appreciated.

  2. #2

    Default

    I haven't imported any personally but know a few people who have.

    Your best bet is to go through an agency such as jetpets, they sort out all the details for you and it makes it much less stressful.
    One of the biggest costs is the quarantine, I believe it is 30 days from the UK, then the flight cost on top (and the cost of the dog).
    You need to have all appropriate vaccinations and vet checks done which the agency would be able to confirm what specific ones you would need.

    Some breeds are not allowed to be imported into Aus such as the Japanese Tosa, Pit Bull (American Pit Bull Terrier), Dogo Argentino, Preso Canario and the Fila Brasileiro (Brazilian Mastiff).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    How come you didnt make your name "pit dog fan"? Just curious LOL

    Most ppl would associate bull dog with a bull dog.

  4. #4

    Default

    We have a dog in quarantine right now that has come from France.
    It was a VERY expensive exercise, France is much more expensive to import from than when we imported from Finland and Netherlands.
    The flight is the killer.....
    You need to find a breeder that is happy to take the dog for all vet checks and appointments needed at the right times (as set out by AQIS) this can sometimes be a long drive for the breeder. You also need to be sure that the breeder will take the dog to the airport (possibly at the crack of dawn) on the departure date (for our breeder, it was a 6 hour drive, to be there at 7am)
    Some breeders will charge the price of the puppy plus a fee to keep the dog for the extra time before flying out. You need to clearly set out what each party expects before committing to go ahead.
    You also need to be sure that the breeder will socialise the dog before it leaves, especially around cars and loud noise, or the airport can terrify the dog.
    We hired a rep in France to do our paperwork as it all needed to be in English and French. She also liased with the vet and breeder to organise exactly when the dog needed to be at the vets and airport.
    Our dog is a giant breed, so was possibly more expensive than a smaller dog to fly out.
    If we were to import again, I would pray that I found a dog I liked (and was for sale) anywhere but France...lol Due to the flight cost!
    Quarantine cost isn't huge, $1380 is what we just paid for 30 days. Our boy is having a blast in there, and may not want to leave when his jail time is up! lol

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern NSW
    Posts
    3,784

    Default

    Great to hear some new newfie blood is come into Australia
    Do you have any pictures to show off????
    Pets are forever

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newfiedevotee View Post
    We have a dog in quarantine right now that has come from France.
    It was a VERY expensive exercise, France is much more expensive to import from than when we imported from Finland and Netherlands.
    The flight is the killer.....
    You need to find a breeder that is happy to take the dog for all vet checks and appointments needed at the right times (as set out by AQIS) this can sometimes be a long drive for the breeder. You also need to be sure that the breeder will take the dog to the airport (possibly at the crack of dawn) on the departure date (for our breeder, it was a 6 hour drive, to be there at 7am)
    Some breeders will charge the price of the puppy plus a fee to keep the dog for the extra time before flying out. You need to clearly set out what each party expects before committing to go ahead.
    You also need to be sure that the breeder will socialise the dog before it leaves, especially around cars and loud noise, or the airport can terrify the dog.
    We hired a rep in France to do our paperwork as it all needed to be in English and French. She also liased with the vet and breeder to organise exactly when the dog needed to be at the vets and airport.
    Our dog is a giant breed, so was possibly more expensive than a smaller dog to fly out.
    If we were to import again, I would pray that I found a dog I liked (and was for sale) anywhere but France...lol Due to the flight cost!
    Quarantine cost isn't huge, $1380 is what we just paid for 30 days. Our boy is having a blast in there, and may not want to leave when his jail time is up! lol
    Newfiedevotee.

    Thanks for your post.

    One thing I didn’t make clear was that I actually live in Europe and are hoping to return to Australia with a dog. I live in Sweden. And although Sweden is expensive has hell for most things – purebred and mixed bred dogs cost an arm and a leg - it is interesting that you mentioned it was cheaper to import from Finland and Netherlands than France. Why is that?

    I found something on the net - I will post the link - which gives a rough figure of what it might cost to import a dog to Australia. It says as a guide you can expect to pay around just over $2200 to $5200 depending on the size. Does that seem about right to you?

    I gather I will be the one delivering and collecting at both ends. This should cut some costs. Considering they are treated like cargo, why does it cost so much more than a person to travel?

    Taking a Pet to Australia - Aussiemove.com

    And thank you to everybody else for your suggestions too.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lala View Post
    How come you didnt make your name "pit dog fan"? Just curious LOL

    Most ppl would associate bull dog with a bull dog.
    Lala. I guess most folk would think of British Bulldogs. Maybe others think of French Bulldogs. But me, when I think of Bulldogs, I think of Pit Bulls and American Bulldogs. Hence the name heheh.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Fan View Post
    Newfiedevotee.

    Thanks for your post.

    One thing I didn’t make clear was that I actually live in Europe and are hoping to return to Australia with a dog. I live in Sweden. And although Sweden is expensive has hell for most things – purebred and mixed bred dogs cost an arm and a leg - it is interesting that you mentioned it was cheaper to import from Finland and Netherlands than France. Why is that?

    I found something on the net - I will post the link - which gives a rough figure of what it might cost to import a dog to Australia. It says as a guide you can expect to pay around just over $2200 to $5200 depending on the size. Does that seem about right to you?

    I gather I will be the one delivering and collecting at both ends. This should cut some costs. Considering they are treated like cargo, why does it cost so much more than a person to travel?

    Taking a Pet to Australia - Aussiemove.com

    And thank you to everybody else for your suggestions too.
    I have no idea why France is so much more expensive, but it is a LOT more expensive....like 3 or 4 times the cost for the flight. Amsterdam is definitely the cheapest to fly dogs from, one of our imports was born in Germany but the breeders drove her to Amsterdam for all her vet tests and checks, and then to the airport there to save us some money.

    We have found it best to arrange an agent to help with the paperwork as it has to be done in a certain order, at very precise times and we didn't want to stuff it up.
    Whilst you can deliver the dog to the airport, you cannot collect the dog in Australia, the quarantine staff will collect the dog, drive it back to the quarantine station and then release it from the crate, take for vet check, feed and water and settle them in. You can visit the day after the dog arrives.

    The cost for the flight depends on the volume of the dog plus the crate. So if the dog is giant, the cost will be much more.

    When you are getting ready to start proceedings, get lots of quotes from the pet transport companies for prices, they can vary a great deal.

    The prices that the link give would probably be about right for a small to medium sized dog.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •