Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Venting About Mounting

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,210

    Default Venting About Mounting

    New to the forum Just wanted to get out my dog vent of the day!

    I have a female, un-desexed British bulldog. Every weekend we go to an off leash dog park in my area.

    I get so annoyed at dogs that continuously try to mount my dog and their owners just sit there. There is a young lab and occasionally a boxer that will not stop! We could be there for an hour and the whole time they are just trying to get on her.

    There has been so many times I have had to leave because it just wont stop and My dog cant enjoy herself and play with the other dogs because of getting mounted over and over again.

    I could understand if she was on heat, yes that my fault for bringing her there but I think when a dog is not on heat then that is just a bad behavior.

    I have been told I should de-sex her, Why should I?? My dog is not the one that is acting badly!!

    Drives me absolutely crazy!!

    Ok Vent of the day over

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    You are taking your dog out when in season?
    Do you have any idea of the responsibilities if she gets in pup? The costs? The risks to your dog?
    Am I just talking out my ass?
    No.
    I had to take on a pregnant bitch and rear her pups because an owner like you didn't have her desexed.
    This is just a big laugh to you?'
    Last edited by Di_dee1; 06-04-2011 at 09:35 PM.

    Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

  3. #3

    Default

    Not to mention Bulldogs have the highest rate for caesarians of any breed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Moggill, Queensland
    Posts
    697

    Default

    The whole "why should I desex her- your dog is bad too!" is such a childish attitude.

    Admittedly, the OP did imply he wasn't taking her out when she was in season, but that's no excuse. You want other dogs to stop mounting her? You could start by getting her desexed. Is there a reason not to?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    planet Earth
    Posts
    568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog_Lover View Post
    I could understand if she was on heat
    BL said she WAS NOT in heat guys


    I think when a dog is not on heat then that is just a bad behavior.
    No it's not. It's actually perfectly normal canine behavior. Some dogs/bitches get humped more, some less regardless of being in heat or not, and regardless of sex even. There are several reasons why dogs hump one another, but it's believed that it has to do with hormones if they get humped a lot by several different dogs while not in heat. Same if the dog humps a lot other dogs.

    I have been told I should de-sex her, Why should I?? My dog is not the one that is acting badly!!
    I can understand your point, and clearly it's your choice. But if it will make your lives easier - why not. If you do not have any intentions to breed (and you really shouldn't unless your dog will benefit the breed, has had all required health check-ups and has a breeding permit/licence).

    Even when you de-sex your dog it might go on for a while, when I desexed my rottie dogs tried to hump her for several more months.
    Respect and you shall be respected. Animal is always right.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SW WA
    Posts
    18

    Default It just happens

    My dog is steralused and on occasions some silly retriever has a go at mounting her. Makes her pretty cranky.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Di_dee1 View Post
    You are taking your dog out when in season?
    Do you have any idea of the responsibilities if she gets in pup? The costs? The risks to your dog?
    Am I just talking out my ass?
    No.
    I had to take on a pregnant bitch and rear her pups because an owner like you didn't have her desexed.
    This is just a big laugh to you?'
    If You read My post I would never take her out when she was on season, please do not insult me because Of a passion of yours!!

    My Dog is from a registered breeder, with papers and she comes from great bloodline, we have spoken to her breeders and they would like to breed her (when she is older of course) as she has great characteristics of the breed but as we bought her as a pet and I know the risks involved in breeding the British so we are saying no but keeping our options open.


    Quote Originally Posted by Crested_Love View Post
    Not to mention Bulldogs have the highest rate for caesarians of any breed.
    I have read my research thanks obviously you didn't read my Post!!

    Quote Originally Posted by silvershadowwolf24 View Post
    The whole "why should I desex her- your dog is bad too!" is such a childish attitude.

    Admittedly, the OP did imply he wasn't taking her out when she was in season, but that's no excuse. You want other dogs to stop mounting her? You could start by getting her desexed. Is there a reason not to?
    THE FACT THAT SHE IS NOT DESEXED ISNT THE ISSUE.. I DO NOT TAKE HER OUT WHEN SHE IS ON HEAT!!!

    The Mounting is annoying, it upsets her and it upsets me!!

    We also have a desexed crossbreed male and he also gets mounted sometimes and thats also bloody annoying!!


    Quote Originally Posted by Fedra View Post
    BL said she WAS NOT in heat guys


    No it's not. It's actually perfectly normal canine behavior. Some dogs/bitches get humped more, some less regardless of being in heat or not, and regardless of sex even. There are several reasons why dogs hump one another, but it's believed that it has to do with hormones if they get humped a lot by several different dogs while not in heat. Same if the dog humps a lot other dogs.

    I think its normal to a point, but anything exessive isn't normal.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    228

    Default

    I think whether shes desexed or not isn't really the issue. As Fedra said some dogs just get humped more than others. My sisters desexed rescue will hump most dogs, female or male, we're not sure why but he's not aggresive about it and once he's told to stop he will.
    I dont know what you could do to stop it, the only thing that comes to mind is something bad smelling on her (to dogs) to cover her smell (but then not sure if that'd annoy her..)

    Also the choice to desex is you own, you've mentioned she has papers and you may breed her which to me is probably the only reason a dog should not be desexed.
    You shouldnt be judged on this decision as you are not byb (if she returns to your breeder as you mentioned you were considering) and she is a purebred with papers.

    This forum is very pro getting dogs desexed which is fine but sometimes we have to realise people may not know the benefits of having a desexed dog and this needs to be explained to them not attack them with it.

    Good luck, and I hope you find something thats effective!
    Last edited by Lexie44light; 06-05-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Spelling :)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    361

    Default

    The choice of whether to desex is up to the owner only. If she is papered and health-checked and they have intent to breed when she is older, who are we to judge?

    To answer your question, she is giving off different pheromones to a sterilised animal. She may only be young, but she smells interesting to the other dogs. Unfortunately she may be targeted for humping because she has a 'soft' nature--a lot of dogs pick up on this, and if they are not told to stop humping, will just take it as a sign to continue. My two boys play roughly and a lot of it includes back-and-forth humping which I allow, because neither of them is truly dominant, just trying to get an equal turn on top.

    I would avoid dog parks if you can if this is an issue for you. Dogs will be dogs, and that includes humping behaviour. It isn't socially acceptable, and I never let my dogs do it to any unfamiliar dogs, but a lot of people think it's funny and a means of playing.


    like a rolling thunder chasing the wind...

  10. #10

    Default

    I'd say she would be mounted even if she was desexxed if she is having it happen to her without being in season.
    She's probably just a really attractive bitch LOL

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •