Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Proving Dog Ownership

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,388

    Default Proving Dog Ownership

    Just thought I would steal this out of another thread as I found it quite interesting.

    There was talk of microchips, pedigree papers, receipt of sale etc etc to provide evidence of ownership.

    However, is there really anyway you can inconclusively provide evidence?

    For example: My dogs go missing. Both are chipped and registered. I have import papers for one. Desexing certs for the other. Vet paperwork for both (last visit last July for vax's). And hundreds of photographs (latest say 3 months ago).

    SSomeone picks up my dogs or stole them in the first place and when I find them. They say they are their dogs.

    None of this proves that the dogs are mine. They can easily say they havent changed chip detals or rego yet or that I havent done it and was meant to. The import and desexing is no use really. Neither the vet visits because they only went for vax. And the photos prove they WERE mine, but not that I didnt give them away.

    So, how exactly, are you supposed to prove 100% that your dogs are your dogs?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,561

    Default

    This could a be a diamond ring you are talking about though. How do you prove ownership of that?
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    This could a be a diamond ring you are talking about though. How do you prove ownership of that?
    Exactly what I was going to say.

    Or you could ask how do the new "owners" prove they purchased or were given the dog.

    Beet thing to do with a stolen dog (as with everything stolen) is to make a police report immediately thay way you have a record of reporting it at the very least.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    Yea it could be anything.

    How do you prove ownership?

    I couldnt give a rats ass about a ring, but my dogs are very important to me so that would be an issue if I couldnt prove ownership.

  5. #5

    Default

    The point is that dogs are property, same as a ring would be.

    Receipt of sale would be the best way to determine ownership but I think it would be worked out on a case to case basis.

    For example an adult dog could be chipped in a breeders name, breeder has lots of photos of the dog, registration certificate, vacc records, but has sold that dog to someone with no receipt.
    There isn't really any way to "prove" that the dog is the new owners short of their word. That's where you need good legal representation to help convince the judge that the dog is indeed yours.
    Saving copies of the advertisement where you found the dog, copies of all e-mails sent between the 2 parties is good evidence.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,561

    Default

    And you would only be in this situation if a breeder wanted to contest ownership after the sold the dog. If you seek a receipt everytime you pay for something, you have ample evidence.

    If your dog is so important to you Lala, then you would ensure you were sensible and smart enough to ask for a receipt for the payment.
    A pessimist sees the glass as half empty;
    An optimist sees the glass as half full;
    A realist just finishes the damn thing and refills it.

  7. #7

    Default

    They would need to prove how they came in possession of the dogs and would need to be able to prove it in a court of law... ie they would need some sort of signed receipt.. if you have the dogs registered with your council and can prove they were registered the whole time it would be hard for anyone else to claim them legally... however having said that don't rely on the police to retrieve any stolen or missing dogs...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern NSW
    Posts
    3,784

    Default

    I do know of a ownership query where the dog was put to the final test of ownership......The dog was an Obedience trained dog and was "tested with each person who claimed to be the owner. the real owner proofed the dog was theirs. the other had no idea and was hopeless with the dog. This was all done under legal supervision
    the same would happen if anyone took my Annabelle. She only works for me. But if they took Tessa she would work for anyone who know Obedience using Positive reinforcements.Mind you on the recall, hopefully the dogs would come to us, because I think we have a pretty good relationship with our dogs. And our dogs do tricks, which new people might not know about.
    It is a horrible thought, that someone might take your dog and claim ownership......A nightmare really, doesn't bear thinking about
    Pets are forever

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newfsie View Post
    I do know of a ownership query where the dog was put to the final test of ownership......The dog was an Obedience trained dog and was "tested with each person who claimed to be the owner. the real owner proofed the dog was theirs. the other had no idea and was hopeless with the dog. This was all done under legal supervision
    the same would happen if anyone took my Annabelle. She only works for me. But if they took Tessa she would work for anyone who know Obedience using Positive reinforcements.Mind you on the recall, hopefully the dogs would come to us, because I think we have a pretty good relationship with our dogs. And our dogs do tricks, which new people might not know about.
    It is a horrible thought, that someone might take your dog and claim ownership......A nightmare really, doesn't bear thinking about
    That would work great for stolen dogs, I know mine wouldn't listen to a thing anyone else said... heck they don't even listen to my partner
    For someone who sold a dog and then "changed their mind" and decided to claim the dog back as their own it would work the opposite way and the new owners would have no hope of keeping their dog.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern NSW
    Posts
    3,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crested_Love View Post
    That would work great for stolen dogs, I know mine wouldn't listen to a thing anyone else said... heck they don't even listen to my partner
    For someone who sold a dog and then "changed their mind" and decided to claim the dog back as their own it would work the opposite way and the new owners would have no hope of keeping their dog.
    Yes I understand that....it would definitely not be good. I suppose the paper trail is the only way. Keep all receipts and communication.
    When I left with our newest rescue, with his pedigree papers, which were still in her name. I asked for a fully written receipt ( and we did not pay for him) with even the "contract" part hand written by my Breeder and signed. because even though I have a very long term friendly relationship with her, I was a little paranoid. I thought what would happen if something happend to her and her family became in charge. So my neurosis is probably my friend in those situations. She quite happily gave me that. And now all the official paperwork is sorted, but the written one covered for that waiting period.
    I suppose we all have to tread carefully.........
    Pets are forever

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •