Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Dog Flatulence

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    northern NSW
    Posts
    44

    Default flatulance

    My dog farts - quite often, but they're not the sneaky deadly type, They're noisy. She looks at her rear end, as if to say "what was that?"

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Gippsland, Victoria
    Posts
    743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gold-dog View Post
    My dog farts - quite often, but they're not the sneaky deadly type, They're noisy. She looks at her rear end, as if to say "what was that?"
    OMG, laughing so hard, I'm crying. Flirtt often farts as she gies into a sit, and she pops up and looks at Villain as if to say 'Oi, quit distracting me' while he looks at her butt with an expression I can only call 'distaste'. It's hell during a training session when this happens!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    South Coast NSW
    Posts
    516

    Default

    Our vet said a cheaper solution to charcoal tablets was to burn toast and scrape the burnt bits onto their food. It worked for us and considering bread is $1.10 a loaf, you can see if that works first?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    There's not a significant difference between Pedigree or Hills. Maybe the marketing for Pedigree is slightly more honest - ie they don't market it through vet practices suggesting it's somehow healthier or better quality.

    This site
    The Dog Food Project - How does your Dog Food Brand compare?
    and this one
    Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble
    will help you figure out what should be in the ingredient list and in what order.

    In Australia this one tells us why we should not buy Innovo - those of us who are against the sale of puppies from pet shop windows.
    Dog's Dry Food - Bowhouse Online Store - Australia's Award-Winning Store for All Your Dog and Cat

    Note the dog food project and dog food analysis list ingredients from American dog food. Most dog food available in Australia that they have listed - is made under licence in Australia with Australian ingredients and Australian processing standards. Ie there's much less corn syrup and corn meal type ingredients because much less of that is available here. But if it's on your bag of dog food ingredients - it's still bad.

    I feed Nutro Natural Choice - which is a long way off perfect but does list meat first. Actual meat, not ground up meat meal carcass chicken farm scrapings stuff. Of course - I have not been to the factory to check what they put in.

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth View Post
    There's not a significant difference between Pedigree or Hills. Maybe the marketing for Pedigree is slightly more honest - ie they don't market it through vet practices suggesting it's somehow healthier or better quality.

    This site
    The Dog Food Project - How does your Dog Food Brand compare?
    and this one
    Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble
    will help you figure out what should be in the ingredient list and in what order.

    In Australia this one tells us why we should not buy Innovo - those of us who are against the sale of puppies from pet shop windows.
    Dog's Dry Food - Bowhouse Online Store - Australia's Award-Winning Store for All Your Dog and Cat

    Note the dog food project and dog food analysis list ingredients from American dog food. Most dog food available in Australia that they have listed - is made under licence in Australia with Australian ingredients and Australian processing standards. Ie there's much less corn syrup and corn meal type ingredients because much less of that is available here. But if it's on your bag of dog food ingredients - it's still bad.

    I feed Nutro Natural Choice - which is a long way off perfect but does list meat first. Actual meat, not ground up meat meal carcass chicken farm scrapings stuff. Of course - I have not been to the factory to check what they put in.
    Can not say I am surpriced really as my dogs don't do well on pedigee or Hills.
    I use purini 1 again not perfect but I think because I also feed raw bones, meat,eggs & vegs as well it works.
    My dogs get dry food adlib & are feed 1 other feed a day unless growing or poor doers then they get what I think will work for that dog. Their daily feed is different most days but can be anything from meaty bones, sheep mince(I kill my own sheep 4 feed) or a stew I make with meat,veg & rice. I also give my dogs a raw egg a few times a week.
    That said I never recomend others to feed this diet as some poeple really do better with good quality dry food & raw chicken diet as it's easier & quicker.
    I have seen the Natural Choice is it expensive in comparsion? I think I might try some on my dogs.............

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Thanks for the links hyacinth. Interesting reading. I knew a few of the ingredients to stay away from previously but that is a really good site for reference. Made me scrutinise our dry food .

    I found out that our Coles brand dry food (my bfs mother buys it and doesn't like spending much) has Animal Fat and Dicalcium Phosphate (both cheap filler) as well as some questionable preservatives even though it is advertised as "natural" with "no artificial preservatives". Also interesting how they use "Yucca Schidigera Extract" so their poops don't smell as bad.

    Also interesting is how they add a very small amount of "Biotin" which is usually used to treat skin allergies in dogs but only if its been prescribed by vets. In such a small amount I wonder if they use it to prevent possible allergies from lesser quality ingredients that they include. You would think that including it in dog food would give your dog some kind of resistance to it if they needed to take it in the future for allergies.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Western Sydney
    Posts
    808

    Default

    Hi,

    I am not big on kibbles though I use as emergency food. I give raw food mainly and occasionally leftover food. Recently I have given rolled oats/raw vegies/yogurt/tin fish for brekky. My dogs do not seem to have "gas"problem. I am wondering if it has to do with yogurt(Vaalia).
    I love cooking but I love eating even more.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Gippsland, Victoria
    Posts
    743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hachna View Post
    Hi,

    My dogs do not seem to have "gas"problem. I am wondering if it has to do with yogurt(Vaalia).
    Mmmm, though both mine get yoghurt too, and still I have one "fluffer" and one who doesnt.

    I'm sure it is individual to the dog, though, so it may be the yoghurt for you...

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    I give my dog a couple of spoonfuls of pot set yogurt when I'm making my breakfast up too. Mmm. And she gets to clean the pot up when I've finished with it.

    Nutro Natural Choice is very expensive. For the 15kg bag I pay between $80 and $115 and it lasts us a few months (depending if I'm feeding casserole as well ie staying home). So at a guess I would say it's approximately 5x the price of Supercoat.

    Supercoat would be my choice if I could not afford Nutro - cos she loves it. But it's not exactly good nutrition. Some people say if their dog likes it, it must be good for them, but that's like saying Maccas is good for teenagers because they like it.

    Some people have noticed when they change to a more nutritious dry food for their dogs, that the coats improve and even change colour. My uncle feeds his dogs Advance. I used to feed Advance - it's slightly cheaper and of slightly lesser quality (but doesn't get a good rating on either dog food site but neither does nutro) but my dog had too many stomach upsets and they all went away when I changed up.

    However - Eagle Pack and Artemis supposedly have even better ingredients. But some dogs don't handle those well and I'm not sure where they are made (Australia or USA?). Price can be similar to Nutro.

    Nutro is made by parent company Mars who make Mars Bars and M&Ms in Australia and also Advance and Pedigree (the cheap stuff).

    Purina 1 and Supercoat are made by Nestles and if I can avoid Nestles I will - for ethical reasons. The only thing they have that I can't get another way is Milo - so for now I will have to force myself to substite Haigh's Drinking Chocolate. And I know I said I'd feed Supercoat - but that's dogs choice. I'd probably look at some farm brands like Coprice etc. They've got much the same ingredients as the others. And list stuff like wheat bran first - which is why I'd need to be broke to feed them.

    I know someone who exclusively feeds her dog Eukanuba - because it gets sick if she feeds anything else.

    So it pays to try different things if you think your dog could be doing better (coat and weight).

  10. #20

    Default

    At the end of the day it's what your dog does best on.
    I went through the whole dry food saga years ago and now feed raw with rmb, vege slops and so on. Our back up dry is EP Holistic and we have just given Eagle Hawk a go which the dogs did well on, made in Aus. EP is made in USA but is not irradiated.
    Pro Plan is now made in Aus and a lot of dogs are doing well on the Sensitve Skin and Stomach.
    I use the gutsy bowl and has slowed our gap grey down heaps.

    Wouldn't touch Euk with a ten foot pole. They have had too many recalls and the plant has been shut down for 3-6months for a clean. Plus they did horrible testing on animals.
    Last edited by molly33; 12-28-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •