Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Border Collie Pup HELP!!!

  1. #1

    Default Border Collie Pup HELP!!!

    Hi,

    Not sure if this is the right area to post this in but anyway...

    I have recently acquired a Border Collie pup "Mojoe" ... he is 13wks old and driving us crazy. We've always had cattle dogs and more recently a labrador, and Mums always put up with them...but Mojoe is driving her insane!!! He's eaten most of her plants, chewed up the bottom of the back stairs etc...
    We chain him up when we are out(about 4-6hrs weekdays) and let him off while we are home as we don't believe in keeping our dogs chained up seen as we have a big properly fenced houseyard(except Mojoe is still small enough to fit under the gate). Every afternoon I go out in the backyard with him for about 15 minutes of training and then we go for lots of walks(we live on a farm) and he follows me when I go for horse rides every day. I give him the 'boredom buster' chew thingos and he chews them but obviously gets bored....we have one other dog "Pete" a 8yo Blue Cattle Dog and he doesn't like Mojoe at all, he won't let him come on the verandah and knocks him over, then again Mojoe does annoy him ...
    is there anything else I can do to stop Mojoe being so naughty?
    I understand maybe its just a puppy phase but...


    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexk View Post
    Hi,

    Not sure if this is the right area to post this in but anyway...

    I have recently acquired a Border Collie pup "Mojoe" ... he is 13wks old and driving us crazy. We've always had cattle dogs and more recently a labrador, and Mums always put up with them...but Mojoe is driving her insane!!! He's eaten most of her plants, chewed up the bottom of the back stairs etc...
    We chain him up when we are out(about 4-6hrs weekdays) and let him off while we are home as we don't believe in keeping our dogs chained up seen as we have a big properly fenced houseyard(except Mojoe is still small enough to fit under the gate). Every afternoon I go out in the backyard with him for about 15 minutes of training and then we go for lots of walks(we live on a farm) and he follows me when I go for horse rides every day. I give him the 'boredom buster' chew thingos and he chews them but obviously gets bored....we have one other dog "Pete" a 8yo Blue Cattle Dog and he doesn't like Mojoe at all, he won't let him come on the verandah and knocks him over, then again Mojoe does annoy him ...
    is there anything else I can do to stop Mojoe being so naughty?
    I understand maybe its just a puppy phase but...


    Thanks
    What exactly is the issue?
    His chewing?
    Have you actually tried training him?
    What I would do is say a firm, deep 'no!' when you catch him chewing and take him away.
    Education not Legislation

  3. #3

    Default

    Yes, it's definitely a puppy phase. He's only 13 weeks old and probably teething, that's possibly why he's chewing things. I have a 14 week old Cocker puppy here and he is chewing everything in sight. Just try to redirect the chewing to something he's allowed to chew on, maybe a kong or a nice juicy bone. If he is teething his mouth is going to be really sore. By the way, he's just a baby and far too young to be chained up for 4 to 6 hours a day.

    ETA I would also be a good idea to crate train him. (I don't mean leave him in the crate for long periods of time, just to give him "time out" from annoying your older dog). If you go to Dogz Online - The Pure Breed Dogs of Australia and do a search on "crate training" you will find lots of excellent information to help you. Good luck!
    Last edited by Ellie; 12-02-2010 at 05:50 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rural Western Australia
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Yes well he is a 13 week old BC pup, it is his job to drive you crazy!

    Crate training is definitely the way to go. When I put my high drive BC youngster into his crate he knows he has to relax.

    I am afraid you are just going to have to deal with it, and as he matures these things will improve. Training, exercise and things to chew, a place to put him to relax, so he is not in a constant state of excitement. A well bred working BC should have an off switch and be able to relax.

    Mine are incredibly high drive working dogs but their breeding dictates they have an off switch. Make sure you train and encourage it from puppyhood. This is where a crate is great.

    A chain is less suitable because he will be continuously stimulated by the environment.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    Yes, it's definitely a puppy phase. He's only 13 weeks old and probably teething, that's possibly why he's chewing things. I have a 14 week old Cocker puppy here and he is chewing everything in sight. Just try to redirect the chewing to something he's allowed to chew on, maybe a kong or a nice juicy bone. If he is teething his mouth is going to be really sore. By the way, he's just a baby and far too young to be chained up for 4 to 6 hours a day.

    ETA I would also be a good idea to crate train him. (I don't mean leave him in the crate for long periods of time, just to give him "time out" from annoying your older dog). If you go to Dogz Online - The Pure Breed Dogs of Australia and do a search on "crate training" you will find lots of excellent information to help you. Good luck!
    It wouldn't be teething. That doesn't happen till about 4 months
    Education not Legislation

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aussiemyf7 View Post
    It wouldn't be teething. That doesn't happen till about 4 months
    My Cocker pup is 14 weeks and is teething now
    Last edited by Ellie; 12-03-2010 at 12:36 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    My Cocker pup is 14 weeks and is teething now
    Well I guess 14 weeks is about 3 and a half months. Maybe he's just early.
    Education not Legislation

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rural Western Australia
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Most of my dogs started teething at 4 months. However they still liked to chew things as younger pups. Like any young animal they like to experiment and test and chew things. Iti s also lots of fun to rip things to shreds. It is all part of youthful energy and exploration.

    Welcome to the world of high energy puppies! My ACD was a devil as a pup, nothing was safe she would destroy everything in her path!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •