Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: How Young is Too Young?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    FNQ
    Posts
    1,327

    Default How Young is Too Young?

    Hi guys

    I was on a horse forum before, and there was a thread - How young is too young for a filly?
    I was curious to know people's opinions on the ages when it is safe to breed a young bitch. If you were/are a breeder, what is the youngest age you would breed at?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    361

    Default

    I have zero experience with breeding, but in the same way you wouldn't breed from a mare until growth plates had fused. (Depending on the breed of horse, e.g a Thoroughbred, that can be between 3-5 years.) From a dog, at least wait until the bitch is a year old... Any younger than that and I imagine they aren't mature enough to whelp correctly, nor is the body prepared for it.


    like a rolling thunder chasing the wind...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    FNQ
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
    I have zero experience with breeding, but in the same way you wouldn't breed from a mare until growth plates had fused. (Depending on the breed of horse, e.g a Thoroughbred, that can be between 3-5 years.) From a dog, at least wait until the bitch is a year old... Any younger than that and I imagine they aren't mature enough to whelp correctly, nor is the body prepared for it.
    hmmm... perhaps another horse person?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Depending on the breed re maturity.

    The Code of Ethics says no matings before 9 months for toys breeds & Brachy breeds, 12 months for others and 18 months for giant breeds.

    I personally like not before 12 months for toys and 16 months for others and 2 years for giant.

    I also do not like to leave it too late for a first litter.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lala Land!!!
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    I do not go by age, no dog will conform 100% to the guidelines.
    I usually beed a bitch on their 2nd or 3rd cycle depending on the maturity of the bitch.

    Breeding, Showing, Training and general crazy making!!!
    If you seek understanding listen to the music, not the song.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    ~western Sydney~
    Posts
    122

    Default

    second heat or 18mths-2yrs

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lala Land!!!
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mianco View Post
    second heat or 18mths-2yrs
    Hey what do you breed?

    Breeding, Showing, Training and general crazy making!!!
    If you seek understanding listen to the music, not the song.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    ~western Sydney~
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashaari View Post
    Hey what do you breed?

    I havnt bred anything as of yet, but I am hoping to breed aussie bulldogs in the future. I did have a male, who was available for stud who I was going to use for stud when I started my breeding program, but he was killed by a snake. I am using the opportunity to learn as much as possible before hand

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lala Land!!!
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mianco View Post
    I havnt bred anything as of yet, but I am hoping to breed aussie bulldogs in the future. I did have a male, who was available for stud who I was going to use for stud when I started my breeding program, but he was killed by a snake. I am using the opportunity to learn as much as possible before hand
    Bugga, I hate snakes. We had a massive problem with them last year I have lost whole pens, 3 or 4 dogs, to one snake
    Good idea to learn more and the ACC registration test is really only common sense.

    Breeding, Showing, Training and general crazy making!!!
    If you seek understanding listen to the music, not the song.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    ~western Sydney~
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashaari View Post
    Bugga, I hate snakes. We had a massive problem with them last year I have lost whole pens, 3 or 4 dogs, to one snake
    Good idea to learn more and the ACC registration test is really only common sense.
    bugger, whole pens we were I guess lucky, that Mack killed it and that it never got our other dog. Scary thing is that we are in the suburbs, but we back on to a reserve. Alot of people have lost there dogs to snakes this year,

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •