Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Cost of Rescue Animals

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lala Land!!!
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shar Pei Rescue Victoria View Post
    I can only comment on the pei as this is the only breed i have statistics on. After saying that. Knuckles STB who came in yesterday has papers.....or rather I have them now.......right next to his desex cert! lol
    So what kind of stats to Peis get with non papered breeders. I would think (and please dont take this the wrong way) but I would think that it is too hard a breed to bother with without papers??

    I dont really care either way, I think it has little to do with it if they are only pets, but it would be interesting to point out just how many reg.breeders out there just do not care about the pups they produce.

    Breeding, Showing, Training and general crazy making!!!
    If you seek understanding listen to the music, not the song.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Unfortunately Ash, I think you're right, and there are too many breeders out there who couldn't give a rat's bottom.

    No questions asked, just pay the purchase price, ra ra ra...
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lala Land!!!
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Unfortunately Ash, I think you're right, and there are too many breeders out there who couldn't give a rat's bottom.

    No questions asked, just pay the purchase price, ra ra ra...
    yeh which is why I dont like people just saying reg. = good and non reg. = bad. The simple fact is that there are just as many good and bad breeders reg. Vs non

    At least the people here seem to be more open minded than they are in America. When I was on an American forum discussing this they thought all breeders should stop and everyone who wanted a dog should get a desexed one from the pound... they didnt seem to realise that is a very quick way to make dogs extinced :s

    Breeding, Showing, Training and general crazy making!!!
    If you seek understanding listen to the music, not the song.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Adelaide SA
    Posts
    199

    Default

    As some one who has 2 rescues, i would do it again in a heart beat, I could have saved myself a fortune by buying a dog from a registered breeder but i chose not to.

    I believe that people who rescue any animals are amazing people, I know i could not do it!

    From my experiences, both of my dog were on death row, Pepsi was 2 when we got her, we dont fully know her story but $650 for the dog, $800 for training and a behaviour specialist, $1000 plus in specialist vets, would i giver her up....not on your life!

    Minnie was 3 when we got her, we only paid $250 for her, but the same story, she has already racked up vet bills over $1000, her training was good when we got her but she has terrible skin, we are bathing her every 3 days (by vet order), i work full time and run a business on the side, but i happily give up my time to give my dogs whatever they need. I couldn't imagine life without Minnie now, and for me that makes it all worth it.

    in my experience people who rescue give far more than money or time to these creatures they give them love and security that some of them have never experienced and that is a far greater cost than the practical aspects!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, australia
    Posts
    1,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashaari View Post
    So what kind of stats to Peis get with non papered breeders. I would think (and please dont take this the wrong way) but I would think that it is too hard a breed to bother with without papers??

    I dont really care either way, I think it has little to do with it if they are only pets, but it would be interesting to point out just how many reg.breeders out there just do not care about the pups they produce.
    1 in 5 pei are from registered breeders
    SPR fosters:Rowland, Matrix, Mia, Arizona, Romeo, Wrinkles, George, Molly, Su Lin, Ellie, Charlie, Charlotte, Lulu, Montana http://www.sharpeirescue.com.au

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    numbers are rising, just because the population is rising.

    Real statistics are hard to get because who wants to admit openly how many dogs they receive and how many get PTS. That would make people perhaps more likely to dump their dog than bring it in and people less likely to donate money to the organisations that run the pounds if they know so many animals are killed.

    Why do so many people quit their pets? I think that's pretty much been answered.

    It would be nice if all breeders had to take their unwanted dogs back and somehow take the profit out of putting puppies in pet shops, or failing to check the new owners.

    There's always going to be a quantity of first time owners who had no idea what they were in for or what to do. The lucky ones ask questions on forums like this, and if they're really lucky we help them with practical answers instead of biting their heads off for supporting puppy mills (sorry about that - I know I've done both, sometimes in the same post).

    The unlucky ones - just dump their dogs, hopefully at the shelters / pounds and not on the street.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, australia
    Posts
    1,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PEPSI View Post
    As some one who has 2 rescues, i would do it again in a heart beat, I could have saved myself a fortune by buying a dog from a registered breeder but i chose not to.

    I believe that people who rescue any animals are amazing people, I know i could not do it!

    From my experiences, both of my dog were on death row, Pepsi was 2 when we got her, we dont fully know her story but $650 for the dog, $800 for training and a behaviour specialist, $1000 plus in specialist vets, would i giver her up....not on your life!

    Minnie was 3 when we got her, we only paid $250 for her, but the same story, she has already racked up vet bills over $1000, her training was good when we got her but she has terrible skin, we are bathing her every 3 days (by vet order), i work full time and run a business on the side, but i happily give up my time to give my dogs whatever they need. I couldn't imagine life without Minnie now, and for me that makes it all worth it.

    in my experience people who rescue give far more than money or time to these creatures they give them love and security that some of them have never experienced and that is a far greater cost than the practical aspects!
    Off topic!!! Try feeding Minnie chicken mince (carcass is best) mixed with aloe vera juice, grated sweet potato, grated green apple oats, vit E, flaxseed grain, wheatgerm, manuka honey and coz lettuce through the food processor. Mix it all together and give her 1/2 a cup per meal mixed with Californian Natural skin sensitive dry food (only available from pet goods direct or Pets Paridise) or Eagle pack chicken base.

    Diet is a big contibutor to skin conditions!!

    Is the shampoo Malaseb?? Every 3 days would lead me to think the vet thinks she has yeast infection??
    SPR fosters:Rowland, Matrix, Mia, Arizona, Romeo, Wrinkles, George, Molly, Su Lin, Ellie, Charlie, Charlotte, Lulu, Montana http://www.sharpeirescue.com.au

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Adelaide SA
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shar Pei Rescue Victoria View Post
    Off topic!!! Try feeding Minnie chicken mince (carcass is best) mixed with aloe vera juice, grated sweet potato, grated green apple oats, vit E, flaxseed grain, wheatgerm, manuka honey and coz lettuce through the food processor. Mix it all together and give her 1/2 a cup per meal mixed with Californian Natural skin sensitive dry food (only available from pet goods direct or Pets Paridise) or Eagle pack chicken base.

    Diet is a big contibutor to skin conditions!!

    Is the shampoo Malaseb?? Every 3 days would lead me to think the vet thinks she has yeast infection??
    Yes we are using Malseb, she had a bad mite infection and she has thickened skin around her rump and under the arms and a few other places. We are lucky she is a water dog and loves her baths. We are seeing a skin specialist every 2 weeks to try and get the yucky patches to join up.

    We are really careful about her diet, this is the second rescue we have had with skin issues and we learnt a lot with the first one. I have printed your recipe and i will give it a go, we have been adding wheatgerm, vit E and honey to her food but i am willing to try anything!

    thanks for the help!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, australia
    Posts
    1,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PEPSI View Post
    Yes we are using Malseb, she had a bad mite infection and she has thickened skin around her rump and under the arms and a few other places. We are lucky she is a water dog and loves her baths. We are seeing a skin specialist every 2 weeks to try and get the yucky patches to join up.

    We are really careful about her diet, this is the second rescue we have had with skin issues and we learnt a lot with the first one. I have printed your recipe and i will give it a go, we have been adding wheatgerm, vit E and honey to her food but i am willing to try anything!

    thanks for the help!
    I am NOT a vet, However......I have recently discovered Imaverol. It is a solution used to kill fungus. Works a squillion times better than Malesab for fungus......just a thought! Ant you can buy it off the internet!!
    SPR fosters:Rowland, Matrix, Mia, Arizona, Romeo, Wrinkles, George, Molly, Su Lin, Ellie, Charlie, Charlotte, Lulu, Montana http://www.sharpeirescue.com.au

  10. #30

    Default

    we have got 2 rescues this year. Both purebreeds (well look 100% of their breed).
    So far we have spent well in excess of $1500, fees for dogs and vet bills (not including bedding/leash/kong/harness/car seat belts etc etc).

    At risk of causing a dispute- I am quite surprised at some of the rescue people (obviously not all- I am sure most are doing wonderful and tireless wk). I enquired about 25 dogs in all- some were picked up from deathrow pound, advertised on internet, and would go to anyone who would take them. People would tell you anything to persuade you to take the dog (ie they dont bark much and then you go and see the dog and its barking non stop), or "its great with children" , or "well behaved on leash". When veiwing the poor dog its obvious that there are many issues.
    I will add that I was very impressed with other rescuers. I have really learnt a lot through the process- I must have been naive when I started....

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •