Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 65

Thread: Breeds?

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nattylou View Post
    Sorry - a little offtopic here - but Belle, Pugs eyes fall out!!! What the?? Cough... wives tale... Pugs eyes don't fall out.
    Lol... I'm not lieing, my grandma had one, I was about 4 so 10 years ago.. and she was telling me about them a while ago when I was researching them and she had to get hers eyes stitched as they can.

    I have a Pug book, a few I might add and it is proven to happen.

    I wouldn't lie about something like this.. and this is the breed I know most about.

    They can pop out of the socket as Pugs have flat faces, no snout if that makes sense..

    It may have been common back then but different now, and I know for a fact that many Pugs need their eyes stitched..

    They also have other eye problems such as cataracts, ulcers which can occur from a scratch or injury, dry eye, generalized progressive retinal atrophy, pigmentary keratitis, and other eye problems.



    Believe me or not.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bayswater, Western Australia
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nattylou View Post
    Sorry - a little offtopic here - but Belle, Pugs eyes fall out!!! What the?? Cough... wives tale... Pugs eyes don't fall out.
    My family had a pug when I was a teenager (40 years ago lol) and his eyes most certainly did fall out. More often his right eye, which we would see hanging out of the socket suspended by the optic nerve and we'd get Mum to clean it and pop it back in for him.

    This pug was no byb pug; he was considered to be best of the litter of the then Australian champion male and female pugs.

    Lovely dog, but his eyes did fall out. My brother bought a pug around 8 years ago whose eyes remained securely in their sockets. Pugs are lovely, but they do suffer in the heat, so that can be an issue if you can't keep them cool.

    Good luck with what ever you decide.

    Cheers,

    Peter D

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    Lol... I'm not lieing, my grandma had one, I was about 4 so 10 years ago.. and she was telling me about them a while ago when I was researching them and she had to get hers eyes stitched as they can.

    I have a Pug book, a few I might add and it is proven to happen.

    I wouldn't lie about something like this.. and this is the breed I know most about.

    They can pop out of the socket as Pugs have flat faces, no snout if that makes sense..

    It may have been common back then but different now, and I know for a fact that many Pugs need their eyes stitched..

    They also have other eye problems such as cataracts, ulcers which can occur from a scratch or injury, dry eye, generalized progressive retinal atrophy, pigmentary keratitis, and other eye problems.



    Believe me or not.
    Oh I do, because I know it's true. Now they don't fall out and roll round the floor like marbles like some ppl imagine, but they do indeed pop out of their sockets. It is actually quite common. Well, it used to be.
    Popping can occur from many things, and for those dogs who have it happen quite often, they would indeed be stitched together for at least 10 days to allow healing of the membrane.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Oh I do, because I know it's true. Now they don't fall out and roll round the floor like marbles like some ppl imagine, but they do indeed pop out of their sockets. It is actually quite common. Well, it used to be.
    Popping can occur from many things, and for those dogs who have it happen quite often, they would indeed be stitched together for at least 10 days to allow healing of the membrane.
    Thank-You for agreeing!

    I must've made people think that the eye ball falls out onto the ground - no no, they just pop out of the sockets, like you said.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Redland Bay, Queensland
    Posts
    1,781

    Default

    Remind me to NEVER get a pug....

    Eyeballs popping out is one thing I cannot handle or stomach....
    http://www.dogforum.com.au/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=577&dateline=12727082  14

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitte View Post
    Remind me to NEVER get a pug....

    Eyeballs popping out is one thing I cannot handle or stomach....
    They should be fine if they are stitched!

  7. #27

    Default

    I thought it had more to do with registered breeder -v- byb?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,241

    Default

    Pugs eyes can fall out, not very often, but it can happen. As Cat said, you will only see this with a poorly bred Pug.
    Education not Legislation

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aussiemyf7 View Post
    Pugs eyes can fall out, not very often, but it can happen. As Cat said, you will only see this with a poorly bred Pug.
    I have to disagree with that, I'm afraid.

    Yes, it is far more prevelant in pugs which have been badly bred, as those badly bred ones tend to have eye sockets that are far more pronounced than those of a well-bred specimen.

    But it unfortunately can and does happen with some well-bred specimens also.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    I have to disagree with that, I'm afraid.

    Yes, it is far more prevelant in pugs which have been badly bred, as those badly bred ones tend to have eye sockets that are far more pronounced than those of a well-bred specimen.

    But it unfortunately can and does happen with some well-bred specimens also.
    I'll second that..

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •