Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: Tail Docking

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    803

    Default

    Cant u still do in WA??? i remember seeing something ages ago bout Breeders in Eastern States send them to WA to be docked

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peta23 View Post
    Cant u still do in WA??? i remember seeing something ages ago bout Breeders in Eastern States send them to WA to be docked
    it is still legal in WA

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Hi guys

    I'm a little confused...

    As far as I'm aware tail docking is now illegal in Australia (correct me if I'm wrong!) yet you see show dogs with their tails docked. (Although you see it with pet dogs as well.) Does this mean that show dogs are exempt from it?

    *I shall wait for replies before I start with my comments on this topic! *

    Does anyone know how long ago it was made illegal?

    Thanks
    Many dogs are now born with natural bob tails, that may be why.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    We could talk about human male circumcision instead. That would really crank up some fireworks.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masha View Post
    Many dogs are now born with natural bob tails, that may be why.
    some are...that is true, but the natural bob tail gene in Rottweilers is linked to Spina Bifida, so "maybe" it is something that shouldn't be encouraged?!?!?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    767

    Default

    I did work experience at a vet surgery in yr 12. I had to hold a litter of puppies only a few days old while they had their tails docked. It was awful *shudder*

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Queensland. Australia
    Posts
    827

    Default

    Amos had his tail docked before we got him, I was always sad about that. Like most people here I'm against it unless it's for a medical reason.

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    it is still legal in WA
    Dogs West - Best of Friends

    Tail Docking - Western Australia:

    Set out below is the current regulations pertaining to 'Tail Docking' in Western Australia.

    Animal Welfare (General) Regulations 2003 (Gazetted 04/04/03).

    Part 4 - Miscellaneous

    14. Further Offences (s. 94) - Tail Docking

    1. In this regulation, a reference to 'tail docking' means the amputation of one or more coccygeal vertebrae, leaving at least the first coccygeal vertebrae intact (unless the health of the animal will be adversely affected by the retention of that first vertebrae, in which case it includes the removal of that vertebrae).

    2. A person who is not a registered veterinary surgeon shall not carry out docking of a dog.
    Penalty: $2,000.

    3. A registered veterinary surgeon shall not carry out tail docking of a dog unless he or she believes that there are sufficient reasons for the tail docking to proceed for therapeutic or prophylactic purposes.
    Penalty: $2,000.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    I am against docking unless there is a genuine need.... and from all of my research and observations over this issue, I can not see many breeds or individual dogs that require a tail to be docked. Plain and simple.

    A query for you all - The OES was docked... but not the Bearded Collie.....working dogs such as the BC and ACD are not docked either... we dock the Pembroke but not the Cardigan..... why?

    Why do some breeds require docking because of what they were bred for, or because the tail set, but yet others that are almost identical and or perform the same work, do not have traditionally docked tails?
    For those who know the story of vindicitve nasty person who tried to hamper my 'career'... this was the debate that sparked their need to be nasty so I don't intend on hanging around in this thread. I just felt the need though to state my position on this very emotive subject.
    I agree with this train of thought/opinion 100%.

    No idea whatsoever who or what you are talking about concerning your last paragraph Anne, but that is not only sad, it is disgusting.

    I'm afraid unless it is for some medical reason, such as a partial dock caused from an accident/wound or similar, I disagree immensely with tail docking.

    Yes, I have held many litters while a vet docked their tails, till I couldn;t do it again. He was feeling sick too, and got to the stage where he refused to dock any more tails. Now this was long before the new laws came in, so it really didn't go down well. He lost customers, and we copped a lot of abuse. And yes, we know those ppl just took their litters elsewhere to be docked, but at least I slept at night and he could live with himself.

    I personally think he was a brave man. And a good one. They are born with a tail. It is there for a reason. End of story for me.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Triple D View Post
    i have to agree with you Adam about the dogs not being into all the teasing and fluffing.

    I just think on the issue of tail docking it should be up to the breeder - NOT the RSPCA to decide. JMO
    im sorry but i think you are misinformed. the puppies nervous system is FULLY DEVELOPED at birth, however the systems that perform functions like mobility are not fully MATURED for the first few weeks. the sensory nervous system is how ever matured as it is pretty much the only way the pups cn find their way around. (ie touch and smell)

    pro dockers always use this "nervous system not fully developed" excuse because it sounds reasonable the puppys cant see or move hense it must be right but its not. pain sensation perception is still there.

    the excuse that it saves the pup from injury to its tail is utter rubbish as it is just as likely if not more to hurt a leg (should we cut that off in case?)

    its pure vanity and is utter selfishness by humans.

    the RSPCA has every rite to advocate against the docking of tails as its unnatural,painful,vain immoral and comes at no benefit to the animal.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •