Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 58

Thread: Check Chains...

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Hi BlackLex,

    Do I use check chains? Yes. Always have, but I am very much against the usual steel chain-link ones that are available everywhere these days. There are alternative options such as the nylon webbing check-chains, more oftenly known as training collars, rather than actual check chains. They are the same thing, work in exactly the same way, but don't have the issues which I believe the original check-chains have.

    I would NEVER advise any owner to use a check chain unless they understand fully 100% HOW to use them CORRECTLY. That is imperative. If you don't know how, please don't use one, as more than liekly damage will be done to your dog with very little success in training.

    I agree with Rebec, obedience training is a must for any dog, but particularly one that is a large breed. The sooner the better, because once they get bigger it only gets harder to control.

    Is he lead trained? He needs to be taught how to walk correctly on the leash and heel beside you. I would definately suggest he has obedience training, if you are not already doing that. Cheers.
    Intresting, im yet to use my "check chain" only because im not sure if its best for him.. he's alright on the lead, but now where near perfect.. ill research some lead training and do some hardcore training down at the park.

    I guess my other concern with this "slip on" "Check chains" or what ever you call them, if he walks backwards he can get out of it? i havent seen this happen.. so my other question is How fail safe are these special leads/collars?
    Are they secure? Will they slip off?

    Sorry for all the questions.

  2. #12

    Default

    I agree! The cuteness is too much!

    Just had to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE the photo of him with the cav! So sweet!

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rebec View Post
    It varies from school to school, I would pop into your vets and have a look at the boards there, they sometimes advertise them there, if not ask your vet/nurses for a good school.

    I don't think they are incredibly expensive, someone else who has been to obedience school for older dogs can correct me, (Leo isn't old enough yet, soon though!) the prices I have seen are about 80- 120 for a few weeks/sessions.

    Have a google of obedience schools in your area
    thats not that bad i guess, i thougth they charged per session and it was some astronomical amount.

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amy86 View Post
    I agree! The cuteness is too much!

    Just had to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE the photo of him with the cav! So sweet!
    haha thanks, that his little friend, they grew up together as there the same age, they have fun playing tug of war. Lex will let him win some times

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    I dont think he would slip out of them if he went backwards, as there would still be the same amount of tension from you. (will tighten if he pulls backwards,forwards, sideways and upside lol)

    maybe have a double collar? (you can get leashes made to walk 2 dogs at once with 2 attachments on the one piece) wear his normal collar and the check (if you decide to use it).


    something like that, Ive seen them in shops and the attachemnts are longer so you could correct him on the check chain without tugging on his normal collar.
    It may seem like overkill, but if it puts your mind at ease till you are 100% with whatever you decide to use then its a worthwhile investment.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLexDog View Post
    Intresting, im yet to use my "check chain" only because im not sure if its best for him.. he's alright on the lead, but now where near perfect.. ill research some lead training and do some hardcore training down at the park.

    I guess my other concern with this "slip on" "Check chains" or what ever you call them, if he walks backwards he can get out of it? i havent seen this happen.. so my other question is How fail safe are these special leads/collars?
    Are they secure? Will they slip off?

    Sorry for all the questions.
    Yeah, you need to really know what you're doing with them for them to be effective. Obedience training schools that do use them will start with a lesson showing you HOW they work and so forth. And why.

    Um, no he won't get out of it if he walks backwards. I'm lost, if you're walking him, why is he walking backwards?
    I'm really not sure what you mean by how fail-safe are they? Or will they slip off? Sorry...

    I do NOT advocate a dog wearing a check-chain at any other time then when you are training them on the leash. Seen too many accidents. I advise them to be used at those times only. otherwise a normal collar around the yard etc if you choose to put collars on him.

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rebec View Post
    I dont think he would slip out of them if he went backwards, as there would still be the same amount of tension from you. (will tighten if he pulls backwards,forwards, sideways and upside lol)

    maybe have a double collar? (you can get leashes made to walk 2 dogs at once with 2 attachments on the one piece) wear his normal collar and the check (if you decide to use it).


    something like that, Ive seen them in shops and the attachemnts are longer so you could correct him on the check chain without tugging on his normal collar.
    It may seem like overkill, but if it puts your mind at ease till you are 100% with whatever you decide to use then its a worthwhile investment.
    wow thats a great idea, thanks!
    He has s show dog lead that was givin to me..it slips over his head ill give it a go to do some lead training..

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post

    Um, no he won't get out of it if he walks backwards. I'm lost, if you're walking him, why is he walking backwards?
    Sorry i shoudl of explained better, if where walking fowards and he sees somethign behind him he will purposly try and pull his head out of his collar by walking backwards.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Oh i see. no. The collar will then tighten around his throat.

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Oh i see. no. The collar will then tighten around his throat.
    oh ok, thanks! im learnign slowly!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •