Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 82

Thread: What to Do About Rotten Neighbours?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Angela, it looks like there is a garden in front of the fence, right?

    And it's a rental, so WHY can't you simply pour a small slab of concrete in the hole and along under the fence. Looks like the garden/bark etc would cover it up anyway.

    Have you told the real estate you rent through about the state of the fence and what is happening. Hell, I would have and asked that the landlord either a) Fix it pronto. Or B) I'll concrete it.

    Hope Batty is okay.

    Police can't help, nothing to do with them actually. Council can't help too much in this regard either TBH.

    Stupid fools of neighbours. Hand grenade?

  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Hand grenade?
    "You're terrible Muriel"

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Angela, it looks like there is a garden in front of the fence, right?
    Not really a garden, it's the top of the retaining wall, overgrown with weeds!

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    And it's a rental, so WHY can't you simply pour a small slab of concrete in the hole and along under the fence. Looks like the garden/bark etc would cover it up anyway.

    Have you told the real estate you rent through about the state of the fence and what is happening. Hell, I would have and asked that the landlord either a) Fix it pronto. Or B) I'll concrete it.

    Hope Batty is okay.
    I actually asked about the possibility of permanently fixing it before Batty arrived and was told that it was not to be altered in any way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Police can't help, nothing to do with them actually. Council can't help too much in this regard either TBH.

    Stupid fools of neighbours. Hand grenade?
    I was hopeful they could dammit...

    I like that one... Maybe hubby can bring one home from work Ok, bad joke, back in the box now!

    Oops! Batty is doing just fine. He's asleep on his bed at my feet having dragged it out of his crate as normal. I think he's a little sore, but he's not reacting that badly to it at all. TBH he seems like nothing has happened at all.
    Last edited by Angela's Gone Batty; 03-25-2010 at 09:34 PM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hawkesbury, NSW
    Posts
    2,001

    Default

    I'd still call council Angela, even if they can't do anything they will have a record of the conversation, and so will you (get their name etc).

    In My Home Dog Minding
    www.greyhoundrescue.com.au

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Yeah, knew your hubby was in the armed forces (I think) so thought the hand grenade would a fun thing to imagine right now. Lol.

    So that is Levi in the photos? Persistent little bugger isn't he?

    Ha ha, have you tried pouring a ruddy big sack full of finely ground pepper in the hole under the bottom paling? I sure would! See if he likes that.

  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    Oops! Batty is doing just fine. He's asleep on his bed at my feet having dragged it out of his crate as normal. I think he's a little sore, but he's not reacting that badly to it at all. TBH he seems like nothing has happened at all.
    Sounds like his emotional & physical needs have been taken care of & he's comfy enough now to drift off to sleep. Well done Steph.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    KILL THEM

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Yeah, knew your hubby was in the armed forces (I think) so thought the hand grenade would a fun thing to imagine right now. Lol.

    So that is Levi in the photos? Persistent little bugger isn't he?

    Ha ha, have you tried pouring a ruddy big sack full of finely ground pepper in the hole under the bottom paling? I sure would! See if he likes that.
    LOL Yup, very fun! Took the anger away that's for sure!

    Yup he's Air Force - I melt for a uniform

    Yep, nothing deters him. The last time he tried he copped curry powder. It was accidental but he sat there and ate it!!! I was laying some down trying to discourage the digging... It didn't work. I've squirted him with jets of water from the hose, he thought it was a great game. I've growled at him, and he thinks I want to play. I bang on the fence and he barks at me. I completely ignore him and turn my back and he goes frantic, whining and digging three times faster than before.

    It's not the first hole. He started this when he was a baby puppy and they'd just brought him home. I was here and they were at work so he'd come under the fence and I'd take him back. There was a period of about a week where I was literally taking him home every 5 minutes between 9 and 3.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,602

    Default

    Frosty likes chilli.

    Mothballs/camphor rub might help though.

    I'm wondering if it wouldn't be possible to get some galv fencing panels into the hole, but a railway sleeper ought to be good. You could - just to please the real estate agent, put a tarp, then some heavy duty wire, then some concrete, then you could pull it all up when you go.

    But if your agent is like any that I had as a tenant and as a landlord, if you concrete it up (with strong wire re-inforcing) chances are they will not notice. But it would have to be more solid and heavier than a besa block or NDN dog will dig that up and drag it through too. Not sure how strong tree root blockers are but they might be worth looking at. Also - you can get concrete railway sleepers ie things that look like timber railway sleepers but are made of concrete. Something like that, a dog wouldn't be able to move.

    But I suspect which ever bit you re-inforce, the dog will move to the next bit of fence.

    Bait over the fence is always a scary prospect but surely if they are willing to do that to you, wouldn't they think you'd do it to them if your dog got sick? I'd be scared to leave Batty outside unsupervised with neighbours like that.

    I tried to find some QLD equivalent of the dog and cat management law in force in most other states, and as best I can tell there are no fines for allowing your dog to wander where it likes or crap where it likes. There is some law that says your dog is not allowed to frighten people or animals (unless it has an exemption as a working dog). And then the dog can be declared a "menacing dog", since QLD seems to have recognised that some dogs can also be dangerous even when they're not a breed on the dangerous breed list. I could find anywhere where the owners responsibilites and penalties for not complying were neatly laid out, anywhere.

    There were a few council brochures that mentioned "keeping the dog in your own yard" but not what happens if a dog owner doesn't or what neighbours can do about that, but it might be worth a phone call.

    You'd have to prove that their dog came into your yard. A bit hard when your dog ends up in their yard.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    that sounds like a nightmare situation to of had to listen/watch hun, Im glad to hear Batty seems to of gone through it unharmed.

    great big hugs going Battys way, and also to you.

    All the fence fixing advice that has already been given is great so I can't add much, except prehaps on top of whatever you decide to block the gaps with plant some semi established low hedgey type trees? Block out the visual for Batty? Less temptation for him. (not great advice sorry lol)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •