Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 76

Thread: *Sigh* Another Pit Bull Attack..

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crested_Love View Post
    Thanks Angela, they made it sounds very sketchy as to the RSPCA's stand on the news.

    Another update, Pitt Bulls will NOT be banned.
    More to come when the next news update airs

    I know this is not going to go down well, especially with several members here but I am for BSL *hides*
    You don't want to hear what I think about Pitts, it would make you angry, but lets just say I'm not a fan
    Fair enough you're not a fan, but no-one is telling you you must own one.

    What happens when Great Danes, GSD's, Rotties, Dobies, Belgians, working breeds, all other bull breeds are added to the list??

    There goes my options for dogs. I'm not a fan of gun dogs - partially because the one the few dogs that have tried to maul me was a lab and partly because I think they're stupid. I'm not going to own a toy breed either. I'm not the biggest fan of terriers. I guess that leaves me with no choice but to not own one....

    Fair enough they aren't your cup of tea, but what will happen when breeds that you do love are next on the list? Will you fight then, when it's too late??

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChoppaChop View Post
    RSPCA for all creatures great and small.....except the American Pit Bull.
    Bull. That is not the RSPCA's stance. That is Hugh Wirths stance.

  3. #33

    Default

    People have made these dogs what they are today.
    No it's not the dogs fault at all, it is the owners and breeders, but just because it's not the dogs fault doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

    I say let America deal with these breeds, there are enough of them over there (12,000 a week being euthanised in county shelters due to over population)
    When THEY get their act together and start improving the breed then allow them to be imported again. I can't see anyone in Australia being able to do so.

    My neighbor has 2 Pitts. They are quiet for the most part, don't mind my dogs going near the fence, but as soon as I come within 2 metres of it they start attacking the boards.
    It's to the point where I don't go down the back of my yard anymore, so yes, that has had a big influence on me, but it isn't the only incident.

    I won't say any more about it as I really don't want to start any arguments.

  4. #34

    Default

    Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion I just hope these opinions are based on truths and not on heresay.
    A lot of people have a distorted image of pitbulls expecting them to be brutish hulking dogs with stocky bodies and blocky heads, I would bet 95% of people have never seen a genuine well bred APBT.

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    Bull. That is not the RSPCA's stance. That is Hugh Wirths stance.
    Yes actually,it is.
    GageDesign Pet Photography
    Site still in construction so will post link when it's finished.

  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crested_Love View Post
    People have made these dogs what they are today.
    No it's not the dogs fault at all, it is the owners and breeders, but just because it's not the dogs fault doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

    I say let America deal with these breeds, there are enough of them over there (12,000 a week being euthanised in county shelters due to over population)
    When THEY get their act together and start improving the breed then allow them to be imported again. I can't see anyone in Australia being able to do so.

    My neighbor has 2 Pitts. They are quiet for the most part, don't mind my dogs going near the fence, but as soon as I come within 2 metres of it they start attacking the boards.
    It's to the point where I don't go down the back of my yard anymore, so yes, that has had a big influence on me, but it isn't the only incident.

    I won't say any more about it as I really don't want to start any arguments.

    And yes, people have made some of these dogs what they are today. But those people are the idiot,moronic types who use them purely as a status symbol and for the $$$.

    So what about us owners that love our breed and do everything we can to ensure they are great canine citizens ?
    GageDesign Pet Photography
    Site still in construction so will post link when it's finished.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChoppaChop View Post
    Yes actually,it is.
    No actually... It's not....

    Where you can find it RSPCA Policy A07 Dog management - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase
    AND a quote directly from their manual:

    7.8 Dangerous dogs
    7.8.1 RSPCA Australia defines a dangerous dog as any dog which aggressively attacks a person or other animal causing physical injury or death, or behaves in a manner that a reasonable person would believe poses an unjustified imminent threat of physical injury or death.
    7.8.2 Exceptions to this definition should be considered where a dog has been clearly provoked into attacking a human or other animal in self-defence, defence of a human or their property, or where a dog kept as a companion animal instinctively attacks an animal normally considered as prey.
    7.8.3 RSPCA Australia considers that any dog of any size, breed or mixture of breeds may be dangerous and thus dogs should not be declared dangerous on the basis of breed.
    7.8.4 However, it is recognised that there is a strong genetic component in a dog’s propensity for aggressive behaviour, their trigger point for aggression and their capacity to inflict serious injury. These factors should be taken into consideration when choosing a suitable dog and in their subsequent socialisation and training.
    7.8.5 RSPCA Australia supports the use in legislation of the category of ‘menacing dog’ to apply to dogs that have repeatedly exhibited threatening behaviour (such as rushing at or chasing a person without provocation), but do not meet the definition of a dangerous dog.
    7.8.6 Reducing the incidence of dog attacks requires the following actions:

    * education of dog owners on the importance of responsible pet ownership and appropriate socialisation and training of dogs
    * education of the public on understanding dog behaviour and the risks of dog bites
    * early identification and appropriate management of problem behaviours
    * selection of dogs on the basis of appropriate behavioural characteristics
    * the implementation of appropriate control and management programs for those dogs that are declared to be menacing or dangerous.
    Before you continue slandering them as an organisation, make sure you're making accurate accusations. They have no choice but to follow the LAWS brought in by misinformed COUNCILS and hate it just as much as those who own them.

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crested_Love View Post
    My neighbor has 2 Pitts. They are quiet for the most part, don't mind my dogs going near the fence, but as soon as I come within 2 metres of it they start attacking the boards.
    It's to the point where I don't go down the back of my yard anymore, so yes, that has had a big influence on me, but it isn't the only incident.

    I won't say any more about it as I really don't want to start any arguments.
    These are not APBT's or they are crosses or very very poorly bred.
    Human agressive dogs were culled from as far back as the 1800's it is a flaw as far as breed standard goes and these dogs were deemed unsuitable. The human agressive trait was and is (by serious fanciers) seen as a defect the equivilent would be a bald silky terrier.

  9. #39

    Default

    Oh I'm not slandering them,simply stating the truth and my opinions.
    A page out of a book is little comfort to all those pits who have been sent to the Bridge courtesy of the RSPCA.
    They are certainly not the saintly organisation that you seem to think it is.
    GageDesign Pet Photography
    Site still in construction so will post link when it's finished.

  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    These are not APBT's or they are crosses or very very poorly bred.
    Human agressive dogs were culled from as far back as the 1800's it is a flaw as far as breed standard goes and these dogs were deemed unsuitable. The human agressive trait was and is (by serious fanciers) seen as a defect the equivilent would be a bald silky terrier.
    No, they are APBT's, I would take a photo but I can't get close enough to the fence.

    I did write a big response here but deleted it, I know it's pointless explaining myself.
    I have never voiced my opinion about APBT's online because I knew this would be the response.

    I don't like Pitts, you guys do.

    Leave it at that please.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •