Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 111

Thread: Breeders Who Don't Show?

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wodonga
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    For breeding I would rather have had the former - for actually remembering me and knowing what I want - I WILL go with the latter even if the former offers me a pup

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, australia
    Posts
    1,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mouseandchicken View Post
    That is why I say attend breed speciality shows. To keep in their eye for their breed.

    It is not necessary to attend all breeds shows.

    Yes I know there are people out there that attend every week and breed crap even though they are winning.

    I also know people who are so disappointed that their BIS winning dog has crap hips and will never be bred from. I know others that unfortunately that wouldn't stop them from breeding said same dog.

    I do know this. You couldn't breed good quality to standard whippets without being out in the ring. They change too much, those fat little puppies alter and change dramatically. Yeah I could breed healthy ones, but could I breed good ones.


    I'm going to step out of this thread now because for me it's an all or nothing thing breeding dogs from researching that foundation bitch, to proving your choice in the ring, it's worth in the whelping box and so on.
    MAC, I wouldn't breed if my life depended on it! I totally agree, it is such a hard call to get it right. I do take my hat off to breeders like yourself who are in it to improve the lines. I know there is no money in breeding, I do understand that. I also understand the science behind breeding and the commitment involved to be a reputable and well respected breeder. And I know that I am not capable of commiting to what is necessary to become such a breeder. And frankly, in the case of pei, there are few who understand the breed as we in rescue do, however, none of us feel qualified to breed, some of us would certainly like to show, but good breeding, well that is a life commitment unto itself. And one commitment I know I would not be able to give what it takes to which is why I get so irritated when I know this reg breeder and that byb have no interest in bettering their knowledge or their lines, they just see the dollars and know that if all else fail, SPR Inc will probably be there to pick up the pieces. Kudos to you and those few breeders who are in it for the good of the breed, but IMO you are a rare breed yourselves!
    SPR fosters:Rowland, Matrix, Mia, Arizona, Romeo, Wrinkles, George, Molly, Su Lin, Ellie, Charlie, Charlotte, Lulu, Montana http://www.sharpeirescue.com.au

  3. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crested_Love View Post
    The way I see it. And I know this isn't always the case, but a lot of mixed breeds dogs end up in shelters because some people can't afford them anymore.
    They see this "free" dog or $50 mutt in the paper that's just soooo cute, buy it and then don't realize the cost of keeping a dog. Even people who are breeding relatively responsibly don't charge much (pet stores excluded)
    as I mentioned in my previous posts, I don't see where we're disagreeing here. I've said before that the breeders I would consider responsible are those who do not advertise in the paper or sell in pet stores, so I'm not sure why we keep coming back to buying dogs for $50 from the paper as our views are exactly the same on this

    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree as you say, different ideas
    make the world go round! I'm just not sure what we're disagreeing about exactly

    lol and staying up late last night may not have been such a good idea for me, I'm so tired this morning!

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lala Land!!!
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Liza View Post
    I've said before that the breeders I would consider responsible are those who do not advertise in the paper or sell in pet stores
    Liza, I am not trying to start anything but I am curious. I can undertsand not buying from petstores, but why do you consider those of us who do use places like gumtree irresponsible?

    Breeding, Showing, Training and general crazy making!!!
    If you seek understanding listen to the music, not the song.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Near Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashaari View Post
    Liza, I am not trying to start anything but I am curious. I can undertsand not buying from petstores, but why do you consider those of us who do use places like gumtree irresponsible?
    Why do you use places like Gumtree and not DOL puppy pages for your breed?

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lala Land!!!
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleasanta View Post
    Why do you use places like Gumtree and not DOL puppy pages for your breed?
    I do use DOL but I use Gumtree aswell esp when I only have a pet quallity litter. I just wanted people to know that even though I use that site it doesnt mean I am any less picky about who I sell to. I have found a great number of people on gumtree who didnt even know of DOL but have wanted to go on my waiting list ayway.

    I have noticed a few other breeders do it like this too. You just put in the add that you are a breeder.
    Last edited by Ashaari; 03-22-2010 at 10:27 AM.

    Breeding, Showing, Training and general crazy making!!!
    If you seek understanding listen to the music, not the song.

  7. #67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashaari View Post
    Liza, I am not trying to start anything but I am curious. I can undertsand not buying from petstores, but why do you consider those of us who do use places like gumtree irresponsible?
    The reason I included gumtree was because from what I've seen advertised there it's just been existing litters of pups, many ads have been very dodgy looking. I haven't seen any ads about waiting lists for pups at all. Of course if there are some people advertising upcoming litters and making sure they go to good homes etc responsibly, I apologize for piling all gumtree ads into one basket.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lala Land!!!
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Liza View Post
    The reason I included gumtree was because from what I've seen advertised there it's just been existing litters of pups, many ads have been very dodgy looking. I haven't seen any ads about waiting lists for pups at all. Of course if there are some people advertising upcoming litters and making sure they go to good homes etc responsibly, I apologize for piling all gumtree ads into one basket.
    No thats all good. I know what you mean. I see litters that state that they want to get rid of them before paying for their second vacination and I am apaulled. But there are people there who do do the right thing by their pups so I just thought I would let you know. Just because we advitise in that way, it doent mean we arent responsible people

    Breeding, Showing, Training and general crazy making!!!
    If you seek understanding listen to the music, not the song.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wodonga
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    IMO gumtree and the trading post attract the dodgiest of customers

  10. #70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Occy View Post
    IMO gumtree and the trading post attract the dodgiest of customers
    I don't know about that. Its the first place I looked. I thought it was a suitable place to find a dog and I'm not a dodgy customer!

    I think if anything the websites enable BYB's and Puppy Mills.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •