Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 111

Thread: Breeders Who Don't Show?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Thanks for be so open and honest with me Ashaari.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Another aspect that was important for us (years back and in Europe) was that we had a waiting list for the pups thanks to showing our dogs. The standard litter size was 8-10 pups and if you don't have people wanting these pups even before they are born how do you find suitable owners for all of them?! That is what amazes me when the average Joe wants to breed his dog and wants to keep one pup. What happens to the rest???

    So showing did not only keep us honest about the "quality" of our girls but also ensured that we had suitable homes for the puppies.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lala Land!!!
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Thanks for be so open and honest with me Ashaari.
    Anytime. I have nothing to hide about it. I think unless you have the time and money to put into it, you breed with the best you have to get better regardless of if they are tittled
    Putting in the effort into some dogs, like Hero (my av), it well worth it. But I dont have the money to tittle everyone and I honnestly do not think some of my guy should be tittled, although they could be. I am just very picky with what I tittle One my best get that

    Breeding, Showing, Training and general crazy making!!!
    If you seek understanding listen to the music, not the song.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lala Land!!!
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hippo View Post
    So showing did not only keep us honest about the "quality" of our girls but also ensured that we had suitable homes for the puppies.
    True, the more your out there the more interest you get. Two of my best pups went to my ring-side friend
    The more you show, the bigger your name. I have a waiting list for my black and whites, it is a good feeling to know they have homes

    Breeding, Showing, Training and general crazy making!!!
    If you seek understanding listen to the music, not the song.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    DA, generally speaking I always wait to title a bitch before I breed her because she will be out of the ring for a while. Dogs I'm not so anxious about, but they have to be close, they have to be competitive both in type and temp. A mating will sometimes also mature a dog.

    My current litter; the bitch is not titled and has not gone into the ring much because I do obedience with her and she promotes my training business. But she does have an impressive pedigree has been competitive when in the ring.

    The sire is 2 points shy of his title from relatively light showing (compared to many out there), he has won at all-breeds and speciality level, he has placed second to the BOB winner in his age group at Melbourne Royal, he is from one of the most successful whippet kennels and his mother is one of australia's most well known whippets. She has won both here and overseas, has titles also in lure coursing and endurance.

    He is today only 16 months old and the mother is only 2. I bred them now because I had buyers, I had more experienced whippet breeders interested in the outcome and mostly because I have another bitch who is only 20 months old who will be titled and then bred to the same dog as above. So timing went into it, the money factor etc, a litter this year another litter in another years time with a different bitch.

    I started a little earlier than I have previously because the dogs are all around the same age and I don't want consecutive litters on the ground.

    Hope I'm making sense

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mouseandchicken View Post
    DA, generally speaking I always wait to title a bitch before I breed her because she will be out of the ring for a while. Dogs I'm not so anxious about, but they have to be close, they have to be competitive both in type and temp. A mating will sometimes also mature a dog.

    My current litter; the bitch is not titled and has not gone into the ring much because I do obedience with her and she promotes my training business. But she does have an impressive pedigree has been competitive when in the ring.

    The sire is 2 points shy of his title from relatively light showing (compared to many out there), he has won at all-breeds and speciality level, he has placed second to the BOB winner in his age group at Melbourne Royal, he is from one of the most successful whippet kennels and his mother is one of australia's most well known whippets. She has won both here and overseas, has titles also in lure coursing and endurance.

    He is today only 16 months old and the mother is only 2. I bred them now because I had buyers, I had more experienced whippet breeders interested in the outcome and mostly because I have another bitch who is only 20 months old who will be titled and then bred to the same dog as above. So timing went into it, the money factor etc, a litter this year another litter in another years time with a different bitch.

    I started a little earlier than I have previously because the dogs are all around the same age and I don't want consecutive litters on the ground.

    Hope I'm making sense
    Yeah, you're making perfect sense. I assume Whippets however do not have to undergo extensive testing as a breed requirement?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    No they are one of the most healthy breeds. It is not unknown for whippets to live to 15, 16 or even 17 years.

    The dog pup went to a home with two whippets, the oldest is 17 and the youngest (apart from the pup) is 10. Today I got sent a photo of pup and 10yo playing tug.

    It amazes me that the breed is not more popular but at the same time I'm quite pleased by that. The Whippet breeders all work together more cooperatively than many breed groups out there.

    We also have the added advantage of importing quality stock from overseas.

    When I had the Kelpies I could see that they were headed for trouble. The breeders would put up limited dogs to stud and of course there was no going overseas.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Thanks MAC. Some breeds require that overseas dogs imported into Australia (males, dogs from imported bitches etc) need further testing before allowed ...

    Sounds like you have it made with Whippets. It's hard enough at the best of times, I'm sure.

    I do know a few registered breeders who don't show certain breeds on the show circuit, so they are not titled at all. However they have had all required (and extensive) testing done of breeding stock and breed for companion dogs but specifically agility trialling and such.
    They seem to me to be doing everything correct by the breed and are very responsible breeders. TMK.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    I know several BC and Golden Ret. kennels that breed for the obedience ring. Their stock is nice, healthy but rarely successful in the breed ring. Provided that purchases of these dogs do not go on to breed further then all is good I suppose. So screening the puppy buyers becomes doubly important.

    On the other hand one of my fellow obedience club members breeds for both, and his GR are very nice and could be bred on from again. So I feel he has more scope and brings more to the breed in the long run.

    The girl I just bred from has, IMO, good looks, temp, type and brains. I am a pedantic bitch though.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Lol MAC.
    So why is their stock rarely successful? Just not up to the conformation standard, I assume? I would think even those breeding specifically for agility would still only breed from the very best there is on offer? Ah, naive! My perfect imaginary world.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •