Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 133

Thread: Docking and Cropping??

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    I sit on the fence. I've seen first hand the damage that can occur to a working dog because of having a tail. It's not pretty and is far more barbaric than docking it to prevent said injury.

    I do think that docking should only be done for reasons like the above. For shows/fashion is immoral yes.

    For those saying it is barbaric, fair enough that is your opinon but comments of "how can someone call themselves an animal lover" are uncalled for. I agree with that when it's the bastards who hack things off without anaesthetic, knowledge, surgical instruments or care, but when it is done properly I don't think it is barbaric in the slightest.

    well im sorry if you think this is unfair or whatever, but hacking bits off a dog for purely cosmetic reasons by someone who calls themselves an animal lover i find highly hypocritical and disgusting..
    as for working dogs ive seen many kick injures and trample injuries but NEVER a tail injury

  2. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Di_dee1 View Post
    I asked my father in law who has had working dogs all his life and he has never had tail damage. He is in his 70s. It is more likely they get kicked in the head, maybe that should be removed too (said with a oh gawd said in jest look)


    I re read what I wrote, he may feel like satan at times but my FIL does not have a tail. mmm meds must be kicking in.


    aww Di.. i'm still trying to figure what your saying.. blonde moment yet again for me

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Floyd View Post
    aww Di.. i'm still trying to figure what your saying.. blonde moment yet again for me
    I am not suprised lol. A fuzzy kind of day for me. I am saying my FIL has been a farmer, had sheep, cows all his life and no dog ever had a tail injury. We have had kick in the head injuries though and I jokingly said maybe the heads should be removed so this does not happen. On my rereading of the post it seemed I was saying my FIL had a tail

    Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western Victoria
    Posts
    151

    Default

    I have had numerous working dogs. I have seen dogs with broken or damaged tails, but not often. I don't think it would be justified to dock a tail purely because a dog is a working dog but if it is a hunting dog then it may be. PLease don't try to draw me into whether this is "right or wrong." If this was the case I would expect the tail would be docked in proper and humane conditions (vet etc) and with a genuine reason to do so.

    Ears were docked in fighting or guard dogs to prevent injury and is not done in Australia (illegal) so hunting dogs usually wear hunting collars to protect them.

    Dew claws can be a pain. If a dog is a climber they can be a real problem and cause a significant injury. In the past I have had them removed (if necessary) while the dog was unger a GA for desexing or something.

    My current favourite working dog (collie) is one that we decided didn't need to get her dew claws done and now they seem to be really irritating to her - she sits and tears at them to try to pull them off, I hate it and it obviously distresses her.

    As with all these things if there is a good reason to do something and it is done humanely and properly in the right place by good people for a loving and caring owner then what's the problem?

    I agree the same procedure could also be unecessary or brutal in a different scenario.

    You need to keep an open mind.

    Topdog collars (formerly Soverencraft.)
    www.soverencraft.com
    info@soverencraft.com

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soverencraft View Post
    I have had numerous working dogs. I have seen dogs with broken or damaged tails, but not often. I don't think it would be justified to dock a tail purely because a dog is a working dog but if it is a hunting dog then it may be. PLease don't try to draw me into whether this is "right or wrong." If this was the case I would expect the tail would be docked in proper and humane conditions (vet etc) and with a genuine reason to do so.

    Ears were docked in fighting or guard dogs to prevent injury and is not done in Australia (illegal) so hunting dogs usually wear hunting collars to protect them.

    Dew claws can be a pain. If a dog is a climber they can be a real problem and cause a significant injury. In the past I have had them removed (if necessary) while the dog was unger a GA for desexing or something.

    My current favourite working dog (collie) is one that we decided didn't need to get her dew claws done and now they seem to be really irritating to her - she sits and tears at them to try to pull them off, I hate it and it obviously distresses her.

    As with all these things if there is a good reason to do something and it is done humanely and properly in the right place by good people for a loving and caring owner then what's the problem?

    I agree the same procedure could also be unecessary or brutal in a different scenario.

    You need to keep an open mind.

    This is exactly what I was trying to say.

    I'm not talking about working dogs with sheep and cows necessarily either, although I have seen a dog with no movement or feeling in his tail because of being stood on by a cow. That same dog had to have his tail removed a month later after it got shredded in a piece of machinery he should never have been near.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    I do not believe in ear cropping or tail docking whatsoever. If society had evolved seeing Rottweilers and Dobes (and all other cropped breeds) with tails then we wouldn't ever perceive them as looking odd at all, would we?

    For the same reason i have never circumsized my sons. (TMI? )

    Dew claws are another ball game IMO. I have seen damage done to dogs from them practically eating away at them because they found them irritating. I have seen tremendous damage done from dogs who jump catching them in fences and what not. NOT NICE. So there are instances and occasions IMO where the removal of dew claws MAY be in the best interests of the dog's health and well-being.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    I think altering a dog surgically for cosmetic reasons should be banned. And that includes fiddling with dogs to make them closer to the "breed standard".

    But I think people with dogs with short tails should not be treated like outcasts without checking first to see if the dog was born that way - some dogs are - or to see if the tail was amputated because of injury. Same with ears. I think if one ear was trimmed because it got damaged beyond repair, that the other ear should be left alone, depending why it got damaged - ie if in the vet's opinion the other ear would likely be damaged in the same way and it wouldn't be preventable - then maybe trim the other dog's ear too. I can't imagine a situation in which this would apply but I don't think of everything.

    My brother's Staffy regularily opened up the top of her tail by beating it against things, and would happily wag blood everywhere. But he didn't get the tail docked. She still waves it like a whip when she's pleased to see someone.

    Frosty uses her dew claws like thumbs to hold things like carob pods or beef chips or bones or treat balls. So unless she starts the amputation herself, I'm not getting hers removed. I have started the process of claw trimming though. She's not all that keen to co-operate. But so far so good.

    In WA tail docking is only legal if a vet does it using painkillers etc. Cosmetic tail docking is on the way to being outlawed. DIY tail docking is definitely outlawed.

    Regulations have been made to provide for additional
    offences. These include the docking of dogs’ tails for
    cosmetic purposes unless for therapeutic or prophylactic
    purposes when performed at the discretion of a registered
    veterinarian.
    http://www.dlgrd.wa.gov.au/Publicati...malact2002.pdf

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    OK, I feel a bit stupid, but what are dew-claws? Do all dogs have them? Photos anyone?

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masha View Post
    OK, I feel a bit stupid, but what are dew-claws? Do all dogs have them? Photos anyone?
    On the dogs front legs it's the claw that sits higher than the actual paw. Does Dora have them? I'm off to look at the piccies

    ETA: Yes Dora has them It's the little one on the inside of her leg, about an inch (guess from the photo of her sitting) up her leg

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hawkesbury, NSW
    Posts
    2,001

    Default

    Masha, dew claws are the nails that are kind of a bit higher up the foot. Dora probably has them on her front legs, like most dogs, but some dogs also have them on their back legs.

    In My Home Dog Minding
    www.greyhoundrescue.com.au

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •