Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 59

Thread: Question Re Pures and Crosses

  1. #31

    Default

    Healthy or healthier... I think that carefully bred and raised dogs have the greatest chance of being healthy in general terms.

    And by carefully I don't mean just the one generation. It can be worth a mint to know what is behind any dog (or any person for that matter!) for several generations when it comes to health matters.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    : We have the run as fast as possible screaming "Doggy, Doggy, Doggy" and keep talking and screaming and squealing while we're right in front of it and wonder why the owner gets cranky and yells at us. We have the group that runs screaming in the opposite direction "It's a dog! Run it's going to bite us, get away from it". Thanks parents... and we have the calm, sensible children who are about 1 in 50 that are lovely, have good manners and behave nicely around everyone.

    In all three cases, I'm sorry to any this offends, but I do blame the parents. You can see from the way they interact with their kids what kind of reaction the kids are going to have.
    Or it can go the other way -

    I have four kids, ranging from 11 - 4, I currently have four dogs in my back yard, 2 of which are fosters and have been abused. My kids KNOW how to react around dogs. They know how to behave around dogs. They know what they should and should not do around dogs.

    HOWEVER, my youngest is only 4 and walks around with blinkers. We went to the shops this afternoon and my youngest was singing and waving his arms around like the loon he is. I spotted a dog and said, "*NAME*, be careful there is a dog, get out of the way." My son stopped what he was doing and put his arms by his side and skirted around the dog.

    He didn't do it fearfully he did it with respect to the dog to give it it's personal space.

    The owner comes back with, "Oh way to make your son scared of a dog, you are going to turn him into a dog hater."

    My kids love dogs and would never do anything to harm any animal, he moved calmly and carefully out of the way of the dog and still I am treated like I have done the wrong thing. Would she have preferred my son run screaming up to her dog?? I think not!

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cate0404 View Post
    Or it can go the other way -

    I have four kids, ranging from 11 - 4, I currently have four dogs in my back yard, 2 of which are fosters and have been abused. My kids KNOW how to react around dogs. They know how to behave around dogs. They know what they should and should not do around dogs.

    HOWEVER, my youngest is only 4 and walks around with blinkers. We went to the shops this afternoon and my youngest was singing and waving his arms around like the loon he is. I spotted a dog and said, "*NAME*, be careful there is a dog, get out of the way." My son stopped what he was doing and put his arms by his side and skirted around the dog.

    He didn't do it fearfully he did it with respect to the dog to give it it's personal space.

    The owner comes back with, "Oh way to make your son scared of a dog, you are going to turn him into a dog hater."

    My kids love dogs and would never do anything to harm any animal, he moved calmly and carefully out of the way of the dog and still I am treated like I have done the wrong thing. Would she have preferred my son run screaming up to her dog?? I think not!
    I would not have been able to keep my mouth shut in your position. I would absolutely LOVE to have parents like you around here. Sadly it doesn't seem to happen around here. The ones who are calm and quiet are usually on their best behaviour and hoping their parents don't see them making friends with the puppy because mum sees all dogs as vicious biting machines and not much else.

    To be blunt: What a cow. How dare she speak to you like that when you obviously have carefully addressed the issue. It's not like you grabbed your 4 year old and dragged him out of the way hissing at him be careful of the nasty doggy (yes I've had this too - with Batty no less...).

    I think you would be one of the wonderful parents that I would love to see more of around the place, rather than the brain dead yokel losers we seem to have here. I mean no offence to anyone here at all, but I haven't met parents yet who supervise their kids playing in the streets, let alone care how they behave around dogs.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Good Lord, where are you living ATM, Angela?

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    Anyway my point is is it possible that things have started to go backwards again because of this push that designers & crosses are healthier than pures?
    In Victoria if any dog DNA tests Affected to the following then I think a court magistrate might like to have a chat with the dog's breeder, and I think that the magistrate may NOT want to engage in any debate regarding the health/healthier of purebreeds or crosses or designers.

    Von Willebrand's Disease (VWD)
    Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA)
    Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis (NCL)
    Collie Eye Anamoly (CEA/CH)
    Hereditary Cataract (HC)

    And the following is from this link address.
    Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986 - SECT 15C Breeding of animals with heritable defects

    Victorian Consolidated Legislation
    Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986 - SECT 15C

    15C. Breeding of animals with heritable defects

    (1) A person must not, intentionally or recklessly, allow an animal with a heritable defect to breed.

    Penalty: 60 penalty units, in the case of a natural person. 300 penalty units, in the case of a body corporate.

    (2) A person must not sell or dispose of an animal with a heritable defect, if the person knows or is reckless as to whether the animal has a heritable defect, unless the person who sells or disposes of the animal advises the person to whom the animal is sold or disposed of (before the sale or disposal) that the animal has the heritable defect.

    Penalty: 60 penalty units, in the case of a natural person. 300 penalty units, in the case of a body corporate.

    (3) In this section-
    heritable defect, in relation to a species of animal set out in Column 1 of the Table in the Schedule, means a heritable defect that is known to cause the disease set out opposite the species of animal in Column 2 of the Table in the Schedule.
    .

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Good Lord, where are you living ATM, Angela?
    Redbank Plains... Near Ipswich QLD... That should say it all I think!

    Fair enough where my house is is very quiet, but kids need to be supervised no matter what IMO.

    We had one boy get hit by a car because he was riding his bike in the middle of the road on a blind corner. He got a broken arm and some bruises - thankfully it wasn't worse than that. It is an area where kids run amok as much as they like while the parents are doing their housework indoors.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    Redbank Plains... Near Ipswich QLD... That should say it all I think!Fair enough where my house is is very quiet, but kids need to be supervised no matter what IMO.

    We had one boy get hit by a car because he was riding his bike in the middle of the road on a blind corner. He got a broken arm and some bruises - thankfully it wasn't worse than that. It is an area where kids run amok as much as they like while the parents are doing their housework indoors.
    Yep, know the area.

    I assume you are using the word parents loosely! Lol.

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Yep, know the area.

    I assume you are using the word parents loosely! Lol.
    Yep! Very loosely! It's why I took a non-teaching job with a private school rather than a teaching job with a state school in this area! That and the fact that there are no permanent teaching jobs!!! Haha!!!

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Lol. They can't handle the kids for long, I expect. My Aunty moved there for about 3 months (this was about 15 years ago mind you. She left the area quickly. Her daughter couldn't even walk to school unharrassed.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    It's so bad that I actually always make sure I am carrying my keys in a manner that I can use them as a weapon to defend myself. I usually walk Batty on my own, I used to carry a little pocketknife but apparently that's illegal so I don't do that anymore.

    Yup, more gene donors than parents!

    Well done on the job selection Amy!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •