Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 59

Thread: Question Re Pures and Crosses

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    [QUOTE=Angela's Gone Batty;73774]I agree this is very sad - but my main questions aren't whether pures are healthier than crosses... It is are we going backwards as a society regarding dog ownership?

    TBH Neither side is healthier than the other. Both sides have health issues and it seems that people have their heads in the sand with regards to the issues that are there.

    Why is it that now we know and understand more than ever about dog behaviour yet we have more dog bite and other dog issues than ever before?[/QUOTE]

    1) Breeders selling breeds to ppl that know very little what that breed requires?

    2) Lifestyles. Ppl not putting the time nor effort into training?
    3) Such differences of opinions everywhere from experts confusing new dog owners what to do?
    4) Anthropomorphism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Probably a million reasons, I think, Angela.

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    I agree this is very sad - but my main questions aren't whether pures are healthier than crosses... It is are we going backwards as a society regarding dog ownership?

    TBH Neither side is healthier than the other. Both sides have health issues and it seems that people have their heads in the sand with regards to the issues that are there.

    Why is it that now we know and understand more than ever about dog behaviour yet we have more dog bite and other dog issues than ever before?
    Hi Angela, I think it is a lack of responsibility in the modern society.
    It is a desposible society and yes I think we are going backwards.
    Parents don't seem to control their children, so they don't control their dogs.
    Not knowing how old you are Angela, but I am about to turn 50 and if a kid got bitten by a dog when I was young, if they were tormenting it with a stick (playing tug a war)etc., usually the kid got a kick up the bum! Now days the police would be called, animal control would be called and the poor dog would be pts. Or the poor dog is left in a not too nice yard or not dog friendly yard while the owners stay inside watching the idiot box etc. and only throwing food to the dog occassionally. The poor dog has no social skills etc and when it comes up against a human whether it be child or adult that wants to interact, the poor thing is not sure what to do.
    Anyway, enough ranting and I hope I have not offended anyone.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    You know, I recall MAC talking about this a while back, as in 'in the old days' the dogs used o go everywhere, down the shop, into town, to the footy, you name it, if the owners went, the dog went. Thye were accustomed to so much in sociaty then. Sure society these days has changed, but I'm not sure for the better. Hell, if a dog looks at someone side-ways, I wonder if I'm gonna be sued. Sigh.

    Just relised that rant has nothing to do with the question you are asking, Angela. Sorry to be OT again.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    I don't know why the public view crosses as healthier, but I think a lot of peoples views would stem from their own experience.

    I have had both the good ol mongrel and lots of pures. The two mongrels we owned both had bad skin allergies. We had no idea what was in them, they came to us off the street. The weren't a cross, they were a bit of this and a bit of that which is why I use the term mongrel or bitza.

    Line breeding and inbreeding of purebred dogs takes a lot of experience. Have I done it? yes. But I do know when I have to step right out of that square. I don't wish to defend my actions nor do I wish to get into a debate about it.

    There is hardly a living thing on this earth that is perfect.

    The right hybrid is often a very healthy and robust dog. I personally like the combination of Kelpie and ACD. But would not breed with that offspring. I like the true Hybrid.

    What do I like about the pure-bred more than anything else is that I know what I am getting. I try to do the best by my dogs and the people who buy a pet from me. But when you are dealing with living breathing genetics there is always the chance that things may go wrong or imperfections creep in.
    Last edited by mouseandchicken; 03-09-2010 at 02:23 PM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    You know, I recall MAC talking about this a while back, as in 'in the old days' the dogs used o go everywhere, down the shop, into town, to the footy, you name it, if the owners went, the dog went. Thye were accustomed to so much in sociaty then. Sure society these days has changed, but I'm not sure for the better. Hell, if a dog looks at someone side-ways, I wonder if I'm gonna be sued. Sigh.

    Just relised that rant has nothing to do with the question you are asking, Angela. Sorry to be OT again.
    I agree with you though, particularly the part that I have bolded.

    BOH, I'm 29, I grew up in a small country town and that is exactly what it was like. We knew, as small kids, not to approach any one else's dog. We knew not to torment the crap out of them and not to run around screaming and squealing in front of them. Now I can't even go for a walk with Batty around the times that the primary school is going in and coming out. We have two groups of kids and the couple of odd ones out. We have the run as fast as possible screaming "Doggy, Doggy, Doggy" and keep talking and screaming and squealing while we're right in front of it and wonder why the owner gets cranky and yells at us. We have the group that runs screaming in the opposite direction "It's a dog! Run it's going to bite us, get away from it". Thanks parents... and we have the calm, sensible children who are about 1 in 50 that are lovely, have good manners and behave nicely around everyone.

    In all three cases, I'm sorry to any this offends, but I do blame the parents. You can see from the way they interact with their kids what kind of reaction the kids are going to have.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    I also think that a large percentage of society just want a dog to love, to share as part of the family. They don't care if it is physically beautiful or not according to others, they don't care whether it's mum and dad have titles or not, they don't even care what's in it, just the fact that it is a dog, a family companion is enough for many ppl.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    I also just wanted to add regards to breeding one pure bred dog to another and that is that the dogs in question have to be looked at too.

    I mean could you imagine putting a Kerry Blue to a Newf for example.

    The poodle coat with the flat coat is another nightmare IMO. I've trained lots of these little dogs and they are a delight to train but the coat maintenance is a horror.

    One dog I really did love to train was a Shar Pei X ACD, but she could of been a one off?

    I mean look at kids, my skids couldn't be more different in personality.

    I guess for me I just like knowing what I'm getting "warts and all".

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Adelaide SA
    Posts
    199

    Default

    I have owned both pure breeds and crosses, if i was going out to buy a dog i would probably buy a pure breed, mainly because a good breeder will have health checks and follow up and ongoing support. My current dog is a cross and she is beautiful, she come from the RSPCA and i always think that is an option for us. I don't want to show or breed! nothing against people that do but it is not my thing!

    I would support the opinion that it has more to do with sloppy or complacent dog owners, people want a fast easy solution to everything....want a puppy...go to the pet store....want a pizza ....pick up the phone. A lot of the responsibility of dog ownership seems to have been lost in our society. Owning a dog should be a privilege not a right!

    sorry if i have offended any one! this is just my opinion!!!

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post

    BOH, I'm 29, I grew up in a small country town and that is exactly what it was like. We knew, as small kids, not to approach any one else's dog. We knew not to torment the crap out of them and not to run around screaming and squealing in front of them. Now I can't even go for a walk with Batty around the times that the primary school is going in and coming out. We have two groups of kids and the couple of odd ones out. We have the run as fast as possible screaming "Doggy, Doggy, Doggy" and keep talking and screaming and squealing while we're right in front of it and wonder why the owner gets cranky and yells at us. We have the group that runs screaming in the opposite direction "It's a dog! Run it's going to bite us, get away from it". Thanks parents... and we have the calm, sensible children who are about 1 in 50 that are lovely, have good manners and behave nicely around everyone.

    In all three cases, I'm sorry to any this offends, but I do blame the parents. You can see from the way they interact with their kids what kind of reaction the kids are going to have.
    I'm with you Angela. People/kids see my Ralph and think that he is going to bite especially since he is a SBT! Being 29 Angela and growing up in a small country town would have been like me growing up in a lower sydney shire.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bohemiannic View Post
    I'm with you Angela. People/kids see my Ralph and think that he is going to bite especially since he is a SBT! Being 29 Angela and growing up in a small country town would have been like me growing up in a lower sydney shire.
    That's what I thought. I think it's stupid and ridiculous that children are being taught to behave this way.

    How could anyone run away from Ralph! He's stunning!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •