Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51

Thread: Heartbreaking to Watch

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,014

    Default

    Sorry OT but my oh has always wanted to get a gold (colored not actual gold) check chain for Griffen. We've seen them at dog shows and they look amazing against the tan coat but we've only ever found tiny ones

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,014

    Default

    Thanks clea

    Back to topic, I haven't seen the episode (is it online anywhere??) but I think it's great that someone with a such a following of people is showing whats happening in these places.
    While there's more and more info about puppy farms on the net, I think getting it on the tv is going to reach a wider range of people that may not have access to it.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    What happens to the puppies in pet shops if they are not purchased?

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    I ask these questions because I wish to find out how many ppl here have actually approached pet stores selling puppies - and asked all the questions, investigated all avenues to get all the facts.

    Not just assumed answers that seem the most likely.

    As you all may have seen in my time here, I have been involved in one way or another with a few pet stores that sell puppies. Not all should be tarred with the same brush. Not all sell puppies for profit. Not all source their puppies from puppy farms.

    I agree that puppy farms should not exist. Take them out of the equation and yes, you have certainly helped to cut down the percentage of dogs who end up homeless, uncontrollable and euthanised. I agree that pet stores who source their puppies from mills for profit and couldn't give a rat's bum where they came from or under what circumstances - should be targeted.

    But the entire nation of pet shops cannot be lumped into one generalisation. If you take away puppy mills altogether, of course pet shops are still going to have puppies for sale!

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    102

    Default

    I wouldn't recognise Cesar Milan if he appeared in my front yard with 10 dogs in tow. And I can't imagine a puppy miller would either.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    But the entire nation of pet shops cannot be lumped into one generalisation. If you take away puppy mills altogether, of course pet shops are still going to have puppies for sale!
    For sure, but they will be coming from a local BYBer who may have only one female and a litter of, say, 5. They won't be coming from a place which has anything from 50 to 100 dogs where the dogs are kept in cages and have litter after litter after litter until they are just about dead on their feet at 5 years of age.

    Leaving aside any health and/or mental/socialisation problems the puppies may have, closing down puppy farms is more to do with the inhumane treating of the "breeding stock".

    Like sows kept in cages where they can only lie down on one side

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Florence View Post
    For sure, but they will be coming from a local BYBer who may have only one female and a litter of, say, 5. They won't be coming from a place which has anything from 50 to 100 dogs where the dogs are kept in cages and have litter after litter after litter until they are just about dead on their feet at 5 years of age.

    Leaving aside any health and/or mental/socialisation problems the puppies may have, closing down puppy farms is more to do with the inhumane treating of the "breeding stock".

    Like sows kept in cages where they can only lie down on one side
    I agree totally.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    What I appose to most is where the puppies are located - right in the front window begging for impulse buying. The price & the misinformation too.

    My parents owned a pet shop when we were young, anything bigger than a guinea pig was sourced for people from breeders. Or we put people in touch with a reputable breeder. The idea being that we would get repeat business for accessories, food etc.

    Two reasons dad didn't want puppies or kittens in the shop. One; the smell, we had a large racing Greyhound clientele & breeder clientele and they were always impressed that the meat in our display cabinet looked as good as the butchers next door and the place smelt clean and fresh. The other was space.

    In todays age where info is at our fingertips we can locate pretty much what we want anywhere.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mouseandchicken View Post
    What I appose to most is where the puppies are located - right in the front window begging for impulse buying. The price & the misinformation too.

    My parents owned a pet shop when we were young, anything bigger than a guinea pig was sourced for people from breeders. Or we put people in touch with a reputable breeder. The idea being that we would get repeat business for accessories, food etc.

    Two reasons dad didn't want puppies or kittens in the shop. One; the smell, we had a large racing Greyhound clientele & breeder clientele and they were always impressed that the meat in our display cabinet looked as good as the butchers next door and the place smelt clean and fresh. The other was space.

    In todays age where info is at our fingertips we can locate pretty much what we want anywhere.
    IMO There is no excuse not to research everything you can before you buy too...

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    It's like drugs.

    You can do all you can to try and stop all the suppliers, but there's always a million more ready to fill their shoes.

    Hence the need to try and stop the production of drugs.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •