Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 76

Thread: Breed Choice Undecidedness.

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    Don't go with the top three highlighted - Afghans, Akita, Siberian or Mulamute
    NOT for the novice dog trainer EVER.

    I had show Kelpies for 20 years and only had one barker amongst them. Kelpies/borders/ACD can come in a couple of varieties from the working line, more eye, more bark, more bite, all rounder. I would consider my Kelpies quieter than my Setter.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    FNQ
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Like, temperement trainability wise?
    They are dropdead gorgeous. I love them. when I was in NZ, we bought a cart for a horse we had just bought, and they had a... I think it was Chocolate Newfie there? It was taller than their miniature horses. I fell in love withthem then. gorgeous.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hawkesbury, NSW
    Posts
    2,001

    Default

    Here's a pic of a Hungarian Viszla that come to board with me - his "sister" is a standard poodle. Jake's 11 years old, he's a fantastic dog, grew up on a farm in NZ, very intelligent and eager to please. They are a little smaller than a Weim, but would be great for agility if Jake is anything to go by.

    Just a note on grooming of std poos - grooming one will be very different to grooming Bella, they are a lot of dog and will take a lot longer than what you do to your little cutie. After you wash them the hair has to be dried straight so you can get a good finish, and it's a lot harder than it sounds. Grooming salons have proper force dryers, I only have my hairdryer! When I clipped the std poo it took hours to get her coat straight! Just thought I'd mention it as I don't want you thinking it will be as easy as when you do Bella.
    Attached Images Attached Images

    In My Home Dog Minding
    www.greyhoundrescue.com.au

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    FNQ
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Thanks for that, MAC. Oh! I have always admired red setters. how would they suit me?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boxerini View Post
    Like, temperement trainability wise?
    They are dropdead gorgeous. I love them. when I was in NZ, we bought a cart for a horse we had just bought, and they had a... I think it was Chocolate Newfie there? It was taller than their miniature horses. I fell in love withthem then. gorgeous.
    They are famous for their sweetness of character and loving, gentle temperament. It is rare to ever find un-necessary aggression in a Newfoundland.

    Just the sweetest natured dogs really sums them up. They do not respond well to harshness or hard tones of voice, or shouting or anything like that. These dogs respond really well to a calm, quiet voice. They pick up on the slightest change in tone very easily.

    House-training I have found to be a breeze. I have heard that they are quite quick to house-train, and although I can't comment as a breed in general, I personally have found Inca to learn VERY quickly.
    Obedience-wise they simply seem a bloody breeze to train! Want to please you, aren't easily distracted by other things happening around them, and will just go with the flow of what is asked of them.
    They are extremely gentle and VERY VERY affectionate.

    Their coats take a massive amount of grooming.

    Couple of breeders currently in NZ. Good ones too, or so I've heard on the grape-vine. But then I'm partial. I grew up in NZ. Lol.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    FNQ
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    i grew up in nz aswell, down in Glenorchy, near queenstown. where did you grow up?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreysAreGreat View Post
    Here's a pic of a Hungarian Viszla that come to board with me - his "sister" is a standard poodle. Jake's 11 years old, he's a fantastic dog, grew up on a farm in NZ, very intelligent and eager to please. They are a little smaller than a Weim, but would be great for agility if Jake is anything to go by.

    .
    gorgeous!!

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    The Red Setter or correct name Irish Setter are mad clowns. Not for novice dog owner.

    But you know what, right now you have the perfect dog for doing all the things you want. There are plenty of min. poodles and a couple of toys out there doing marvelous stuff in the agility arena. Is there any reason your little girl couldn't do it, health problems etc?

    Any decent club requires the dog to be over 1yo and have achieved a certain level with their training.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    6,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boxerini View Post
    i grew up in nz aswell, down in Glenorchy, near queenstown. where did you grow up?
    Started in Auckland, then of all places - Tokoroa. *yeah I know, I should hide!*

    Followed by Christchurch and Dunedin. Only time I went to Queenstown was to Bungie Jump. Yep, them were the days!

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    FNQ
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
    Started in Auckland, then of all places - Tokoroa. *yeah I know, I should hide!*

    Followed by Christchurch and Dunedin. Only time I went to Queenstown was to Bungie Jump. Yep, them were the days!
    Auckland. Oh, your such a JAFA!
    When I go back this year, im going to try a bungie jump. If im game enough.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •