Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Do You Leave Your Puppy/doggy Home Alone While Your at Work???

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    planet Earth
    Posts
    568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amy86 View Post
    As the title states...

    Do you leave your puppy/doggy home alone when your at work or have to leave for long periods of time?

    If so how do you ensure that your puppy will be safe and not too bored?

    Any other tips would be appreciated!

    TIA!
    I have two dogs and they spend about 8 hours a day alone. It was like that with all my dogs. Dogs get used to it if they're trained properly, meaning if you are getting a small pup, make sure you take some time of work for teaching. Soon I'm starting to work from home, so I guess it will be a big plus. I never have messy house (I did when one was a pup), they have some toys or play together or just sleep. They're fine.
    Respect and you shall be respected. Animal is always right.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    Batty is left alone for a max of 3 hours at the moment, except when he's sleeping. He's crated while I'm out because he causes too much trouble and no matter how much puppy proofing I do it never seems to be enough!

    Sometimes Hubby stays home with him and other times Batty comes to work with me. Depends on how long my day is going to be.

    ETA: C&B's Mum: I don't know what you feed, but if you feed kibble couldn't you put their breakfast in the treat ball for them to work at?
    Lately I have been! It was suggested to me by other members to slow down his inhaling of food! So now he gets half his brekkie in the bowl and half in the ball with the ball in the bowl! Works a treat! But he still gets through it in less than 5 mins. I've been keeping my eye out for a harder one. Bella has no interest in it really - sometimes she'll follow along and eat the ones Charlie's missed though!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    planet Earth
    Posts
    568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terrorbull View Post
    I now can be away from the house for 24 hours or more, dogs are used to it and cope fine
    I hope they have access to a yard for their needs. 8-10 hours is fine, but more than that is nothing but unhealthy and dangerous without emptying bowels/bladder.
    Respect and you shall be respected. Animal is always right.

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amy86 View Post
    What do you mean by 'crated'?
    A crate is an indoor or moveable kennel. Most are collapsible, some are metal like a collapsible cage, and some are fabric. Jump on ebay and have a look, you'll see some different sorts.

    They are fantastic for dogs inside. They provide their own space, much like a child having their own bedroom. They are a really good security builder for young puppies especially, just like a cot is for a baby!

    Giving them quiet or sleep time in a crate sets part of their routine and often improves minor behavioural problems.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amy86 View Post
    What do you mean by 'crated'?
    Here is a picture of inside Batty's crate. It is like his bedroom, it is his safe house and where he gets his bones and special treats (like his yoghurt )



    He goes in there of his own accord to sleep during the day too! If you want more info, search for Crate Training. There's lots of info in the puppy and training sections )

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nattylou View Post
    A crate is an indoor or moveable kennel. Most are collapsible, some are metal like a collapsible cage, and some are fabric. Jump on ebay and have a look, you'll see some different sorts.

    They are fantastic for dogs inside. They provide their own space, much like a child having their own bedroom. They are a really good security builder for young puppies especially, just like a cot is for a baby!

    Giving them quiet or sleep time in a crate sets part of their routine and often improves minor behavioural problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela's Gone Batty View Post
    Here is a picture of inside Batty's crate. It is like his bedroom, it is his safe house and where he gets his bones and special treats (like his yoghurt )



    He goes in there of his own accord to sleep during the day too! If you want more info, search for Crate Training. There's lots of info in the puppy and training sections )
    Oh yeh...I have already checked some of those out on ebay! I liked the fabric tent type ones! They also had one that was basically a porta cot...I loved that! But then was thinking of just getting a wooden play pen second hand off ebay!

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedra View Post
    I hope they have access to a yard for their needs. 8-10 hours is fine, but more than that is nothing but unhealthy and dangerous without emptying bowels/bladder.
    The question was how long to you leave your dogs alone, not how long do you leave them inside alone.

    they are out in the yard when I am not at home or when it is too hot (cooler out in the yard than in my house)

    No way i would leave them inside all day.

    www.cinspets.com.au
    I am doing Relay For Life in 2011, please contact me to make a donation

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rural NSW
    Posts
    5,967

    Default

    My dogs through the years have always been fine just left outside, food, water, shelter.
    Pretty is fine out but we pen the pups if we know there will be trucks or machinery coming if we are away. (we are farmers) If not they are out too. We are now penning them at night as they are 3 months old and we don't want them to wander. I have fed chicken wings, big meaty bones to them since they were weaned and have never had a problem. Supervise at first. Mine bury theirs for future delight too.

    Any posts made under the name of Di_dee1 one can be used by anyone as I do not give a rats.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    FNQ
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Bella is left alone while I am at school, Unless mum isnt working. She sleeps most of the day, unless I am home, so she is good. I leave her water, and a place to go and her squeky toys, and she is good.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amy86 View Post
    Oh yeh...I have already checked some of those out on ebay! I liked the fabric tent type ones! They also had one that was basically a porta cot...I loved that! But then was thinking of just getting a wooden play pen second hand off ebay!
    I wouldn't get a wooden one... my two love chewing on wooden things while they're teething!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •